BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 September 2022 - 02:09 PM

Love the clock.

I have no issue with the shift ban.

Same. I wasn’t for banning the shift but it doesn’t bother me. I like experimenting with rules like this.

#262 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2022 - 02:21 PM

The late Ray Miller would’ve loved this pitch clock rule.

#263 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 03:10 PM

I like the pitch clock except I don't like the 2 pickoff attempt part of it. Basically as soon as you throw over the second time it's a free base, as the runner can take an 89 foot lead and there is nothing the pitcher can do. More steals attempts is fine I guess, it will speed games up to increase the number of outs on the bases even if the success rate goes up.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#264 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 September 2022 - 04:37 PM

I like the pitch clock except I don't like the 2 pickoff attempt part of it. Basically as soon as you throw over the second time it's a free base, as the runner can take an 89 foot lead and there is nothing the pitcher can do. More steals attempts is fine I guess, it will speed games up to increase the number of outs on the bases even if the success rate goes up.

The pitcher can't throw to second if the runner is already running or on some absurd lead like you mention?

A bunch of pickoff attempts are very annoying imo, so I don't mind trying to curtail that.

#265 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 September 2022 - 04:42 PM

The pitcher can't throw to second if the runner is already running or on some absurd lead like you mention?

A bunch of pickoff attempts are very annoying imo, so I don't mind trying to curtail that.

You can throw over a third+ time but if the runner is safe it’s a ball to the batters count.

#266 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 04:45 PM

You can throw over a third+ time but if the runner is safe it’s a ball to the batters count.

That doesn't answer the question I asked, but it is helpful information. So unless there's a 3 ball count, the baserunner can't get to aggressive with their lead.

#267 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 07:24 PM

I'm absolutely fine with losing anyone who would stop watching baseball because teams shift their infielders around. I think that's a straw man argument.

Clearly the stewards of the game think differently than you do.  :-P

#268 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 September 2022 - 07:54 AM

That doesn't answer the question I asked, but it is helpful information. So unless there's a 3 ball count, the baserunner can't get to aggressive with their lead.

I was wrong before, it’s a ball for breaking the shift and pitch clock rules. It’s actually a balk if you don’t get the runner out on your third attempt. So yeah, pretty extreme penalty.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#269 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 05:50 PM

I was wrong before, it’s a ball for breaking the shift and pitch clock rules. It’s actually a balk if you don’t get the runner out on your third attempt. So yeah, pretty extreme penalty.

Making an unsuccessful pick off attempt a balk is the worst of the rule changes.
  • BobPhelan likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#270 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 05:55 PM

The pitcher can step off the mound to get the runner to go back to the bag. I believe the pitcher is allowed to break contact from the rubber twice per batter. I think the third time is a balk. They are making a mockery of a great game.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#271 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 09:34 AM

CBS Sports: MLB rule changes: Everything to know about pitch clock, shift ban, new bases -- and what tweaks could be next

https://www.cbssport...-could-be-next/

#272 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 10:24 AM

538: How MLB's New Rules Could Change Baseball In 2023

https://fivethirtyei...seball-in-2023/

#273 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 24 February 2023 - 10:05 AM

CBS Sports: 2023 MLB rule changes: Corey Seager and more hitters who could be helped by the ban on extreme shifts

https://www.cbssport...extreme-shifts/

#274 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 24 February 2023 - 10:23 AM

CBS Sports: 2023 MLB rule changes: Corey Seager and more hitters who could be helped by the ban on extreme shifts

https://www.cbssport...extreme-shifts/

Lets get Chris Davis out of retirement!  

#275 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 24 February 2023 - 04:19 PM

#276 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 24 February 2023 - 09:17 PM

I'm guessing the unintended consequences of the pitch clock...we will see an explosion in elbow and shoulder injuries.

#277 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 11:45 AM

#278 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 March 2023 - 11:09 AM

https://twitter.com/...329080477253632

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this

#279 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 05:56 PM

Tim Kurkjian was just on PTI talking about the rule changes, well maybe gushing would be a better word choice. He was saying that not only are they making a big impact on length of games and increasing prevalence of action, but also that out of the 35ish Mets and Yankee players he has spoken to the last couple days, none complained.

#280 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 March 2023 - 12:26 PM

Apparently the Red Sox successfully shifted an OF’er on Joey Gallo yesterday. Guess they didn’t address this explicitly enough with the rule change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=