306 replies to this topic

#241 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:15 AM

Btw some guys still do get played straight up because they are more all field hitters. Maybe it was because there was not enough data yet but the game winning single Gunnar hit last night is.into a shift against most lefties

#242 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,420 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:16 AM

Come on, that’s just ridiculous. They aren’t trying to govern to a precise position, they are getting rid of the extreme stuff. People just don’t like change.

It's not ridiculous. Where is the line? Where can you play? When Aaron Boone appeals that Mateo was shifted too far over and a technical hit is awarded on a groundout, it matters.

The people who dislike banning the shift don't like change? Or the people who dislike the shift don't like change?

#243 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:19 AM

It's not ridiculous. Where is the line? Where can you play? When Aaron Boone appeals that Mateo was shifted too far over and a technical hit is awarded on a groundout, it matters.

The people who dislike banning the shift don't like change? Or the people who dislike the shift don't like change?

It might matter but I couldn’t care less if the rule is decided left part of bag, center, etc. that isn’t a factor that matters to me at all. And you. Your side. It wasn’t a rule, now it is. That’s change.

#244 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:20 AM

Hitting is hard. I know hitters can't just place the ball where they want. And the shift makes it harder. But that's exacerbated by trying to hit homers all the time. Maybe it's still worth it because homers are so valuable, but it doesn't have to be that way. And like Mackus said skill sets change over time. Maybe baseball starts valuing bat control more. Or not if homers are still deemed more valuable.

Yesterday Mullins started the rally by hitting a grounder on a little inside out swing to left. Maybe it gets through anyway, but it seemed pretty close to where the 3B would traditionally be playing. Good piece of hitting.

I still don't get why Cal is smart but the shift isn't. Doesn't matter to me that it's more extreme. At the end of a football game they might put 8 DBs back by the end zone 50 yards off the line for a Hail Mary and no one seems to mind.

I know minds probably aren't changing on this, that's ok.

#245 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:20 AM

It might matter but I couldn’t care less if the rule is decided left part of bag, center, etc. that isn’t a factor that matters to me at all. And you. Your side. It wasn’t a rule, now it is. That’s change.

But the entire reason you don't like the shift is because it's a change from traditional defense?

#246 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:22 AM

But the entire reason you don't like the shift is because it's a change from traditional defense?

I haven’t bitched once about the shift over the years. But now that they are getting rid of it, yeah, I’m happy with the rule change. I think a lot of fans will be over time.

#247 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:26 AM

I still don't get why Cal is smart but the shift isn't. Doesn't matter to me that it's more extreme.

You really can’t see the difference between Cal’s shifts and todays version? And not saying todays isn’t smart, they’re using the data. It isn’t about smart or not. But I prefer the other way.

#248 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:31 AM

A lot of false equivalencies have been drawn here to prove points that simply do not exist. 

The shift has taken the spirit away from the sport. Cal Ripken shading to the L or to the R doesn’t make him a genius. It made him a smart ballplayer. However, if Ripken were part of a broader coaching effort to place players around the IF like lawn furniture in an overall effort to drive the batting average down for the sport? Yeah, that sucks.  

Hitting is hard. I know hitters can't just place the ball where they want. And the shift makes it harder. But that's exacerbated by trying to hit homers all the time. Maybe it's still worth it because homers are so valuable, but it doesn't have to be that way. And like Mackus said skill sets change over time. Maybe baseball starts valuing bat control more. Or not if homers are still deemed more valuable.

Yesterday Mullins started the rally by hitting a grounder on a little inside out swing to left. Maybe it gets through anyway, but it seemed pretty close to where the 3B would traditionally be playing. Good piece of hitting.

I still don't get why Cal is smart but the shift isn't. Doesn't matter to me that it's more extreme. At the end of a football game they might put 8 DBs back by the end zone 50 yards off the line for a Hail Mary and no one seems to mind.

I know minds probably aren't changing on this, that's ok.

Much like it would suck if all you had to do would be to place 8 DBs in the end zone and all of a sudden teams were throwing 20% less completions. People would stop watching the sport. That’s when it matters. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#249 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:38 AM

DJ Lemahieu is a great hitter because he uses the whole field. Miguel Cabrera is a career .300+ hitter because he used the whole field. Derek Jeter. Mullins as noted did it last night. The problem isnt the shift and I truly believe that. Its the philosophy that has gone too far towards the 3 true outcomes. Its ok to K and always swing for the fences. 

#250 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,420 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:47 AM

People would stop watching the sport. That’s when it matters.

I'm absolutely fine with losing anyone who would stop watching baseball because teams shift their infielders around. I think that's a straw man argument.

#251 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,420 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:02 AM

"Hit it where they ain't...or change the rules so they ain't where you hit it!"
  • russsnyder likes this

#252 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:04 AM

When the saying “hit it where they ain’t” was originated. Defenders played their natural positions.

This is a matter of preference.

#253 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:04 AM

Much like it would suck if all you had to do would be to place 8 DBs in the end zone and all of a sudden teams were throwing 20% less completions. People would stop watching the sport. That’s when it matters. 

I just think teams and players are or should be capable of punishing that strategy so that they won't do it all the time anymore. It's like if everyone used the 8 DBs and cut completions, but teams refused to just run the ball to make them substitute. If you can be effective to the opposite field that becomes valuable, and those kind of players can be encouraged/developed more in the minors. Over time different types of skill sets have gone in and out of favor and I don't see why this should be any different, where maybe bat control starts to get more priority than pure power. I don't buy that it changes the "spirit of the sport," who gets to decide what that means anyway? 

But I should add that my opinion against this is more, I don't know, philosophical. I don't like changing the rules for something like this, complicating things over something that the game should be able to adjust to itself. But I do think it will improve the product because teams so far have shown an unwillingness to adjust, or maybe I'm wrong and they really aren't capable. I have always preferred pitching but I still don't particularly like that everyone hits like .230 these days.

Probably the most important thing though, I'm certain that even though I don't like the ban in theory having it will not hurt my enjoyment of the game at all. It will simply not be noticeable when batters have at bats against a traditional alignment, where last year it would have been vs 4 OFs or whatever. I'm not going to say "Ooh, nice base hit to right, but last year the 3B would have been over there."

#254 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:32 AM

Come on, that’s just ridiculous. They aren’t trying to govern to a precise position, they are getting rid of the extreme stuff. People just don’t like change.

I think the side that says "the shift is a perversion of the game" and talks about being old school is the side that is resistant to change. ;)

#255 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,712 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:36 AM

Love the clock. 

I have no issue with the shift ban.  

#256 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:40 AM

I think the side that says "the shift is a perversion of the game" and talks about being old school is the side that is resistant to change. ;)

Yeah but if these last few years have taught me anything, it’s that it’s best to accuse the other side of your own transgression first, to control the narrative. ;)
  • mweb08 likes this

#257 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:42 AM

I see both sides here and am personally split in a way on the shift.

Results wise, I'll likely prefer the immediate outcome here as I'd rather see more hits.

The process to get that result is where I have an issue. I agree with all those who have stated that you should be able to place your 7 non battery defenders wherever you like. Then it's up to the hitters to adjust and hit it where they ain't.

Process wins out for me.

I also think over time we'd see more players/teams make their opponents pay for extreme shifts and it would have been fun to watch that evolution in baseball occur.
  • makoman likes this

#258 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:44 AM

Shifts aren’t happening in little league, in legion ball. When is this Great Evolution ™️ you guys speak of going to begin?

#259 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,712 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:48 AM

I see both sides here and am personally split in a way on the shift.

Results wise, I'll likely prefer the immediate outcome here as I'd rather see more hits.

The process to get that result is where I have an issue. I agree with all those who have stated that you should be able to place your 7 non battery defenders wherever you like. Then it's up to the hitters to adjust and hit it where they ain't.

Process wins out for me.

I also think over time we'd see more players/teams make their opponents pay for extreme shifts and it would have been fun to watch that evolution in baseball occur.

Similar mixed thoughts. 

I prefer less offense, so in that sense I like the shift.   I'm open to the shift ban, because my preference for lower offense aside....   I also dislike the 3 true outcome era.  More hits means more offense... but also makes for a more interesting game (not just scoring, but runners on the bases, double plays, etc)   I want baseball to capture more younger fans, so I think this helps. 

OTOH, my 70 year old Dad who is plenty knowledgeable also hates the shift. So while he's not a younger fan, I feel good for him too.

#260 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 12:02 PM

"Hit it where they ain't...or change the rules so they ain't where you hit it!"

Lol.

Good one Wee Willie!
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams