• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#81 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:01 AM

I read it, and still a firm no. Batters have gotten stronger and better too. And there's no logical or good answer to the fact that even more pitching injuries would happen if they did this. Which is already a big problem in baseball.

Maybe, but that was addressed: 

In the second study, the ASMI team monitored the biomechanics and ball behavior of pitchers as they threw from the standard distance, 2 feet farther back, and close to the geometric center of the diamond (63 feet, 7.5 inches). As expected, the longer distances yielded longer flight times and increased pitch movement. But the pitchers’ kinematics didn’t differ significantly at the longer distances, leading the researchers to conclude, “It is unlikely that moving the mound backwards would significantly affect pitching biomechanics and injury risk.”

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:06 AM

I don't love the idea of tampering with the configurations.... but reasonable arguments were made for the changes seen in other sports. 

Bottomline for me is that baseball has to find a way to address this three true outcome era. The idea that this could help with that, makes me at-least curious.

#83 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:23 AM

Maybe, but that was addressed: 

In the second study, the ASMI team monitored the biomechanics and ball behavior of pitchers as they threw from the standard distance, 2 feet farther back, and close to the geometric center of the diamond (63 feet, 7.5 inches). As expected, the longer distances yielded longer flight times and increased pitch movement. But the pitchers’ kinematics didn’t differ significantly at the longer distances, leading the researchers to conclude, “It is unlikely that moving the mound backwards would significantly affect pitching biomechanics and injury risk.”

I read it, but I don't buy that. It would definitely lead to more injuries. It's more stress. I appreciate the article and the attempt at an open mind. But it's a batshit crazy idea and will never happen.

#84 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 March 2021 - 09:49 AM

I think this is very much worthy of consideration. Baseball does have a significant problem IMO, and this is the most logical and impactful solution to counter that (creating more balls put in play).

#85 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 09:53 AM

I will add that I don't see why I should care what the distance is from the mound to the plate other than for the purpose of creating the best possible play of the game. The distance isn't sacred to me at all.

#86 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:38 AM

No.

You’re wrong.

@fuzydunlop

#87 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:47 AM

There are too many strikeouts, but isn't scoring still at normal levels (or above)?  If you just move back the mound, then you'd help the strikeout issue, but you might end up with higher scoring than you want.  Maybe move back the mound and also deaden the ball?  I haven't read the article, so maybe all of this is covered.

#88 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:51 AM

There are too many strikeouts, but isn't scoring still at normal levels (or above)?  If you just move back the mound, then you'd help the strikeout issue, but you might end up with higher scoring than you want.  Maybe move back the mound and also deaden the ball?  I haven't read the article, so maybe all of this is covered.

That's not covered in the article, but yes, there is plenty that can be done to limit how far batted balls travel, so the scoring per game issue can still be limited.

#89 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:55 AM

You’re wrong.

Neat. Good point. 

#90 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:59 AM

This is another one of my favorite matters of people arguing on behalf of something because that's how it's always been. Like the same people that are staunchly against this change would be staunchly against 60 feet, 6 inches if the distance had been different for the past 100 plus years.

#91 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:03 AM

Maybe the NBA should play in a swimming pool, because points are way up these days due to the increased athleticism and spacing.

The game is the game. I don't like this idea, and it isn't a crime to want some things to stay the same. Sheesh. Allow some room for other opinions, I know it's hard.

#92 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:07 AM

Maybe the NBA should play in a swimming pool, because points are way up these days due to the increased athleticism and spacing.

The game is the game. I don't like this idea, and it isn't a crime to want some things to stay the same. Sheesh. Allow some room for other opinions, I know it's hard.

Umm ok.

#93 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:12 AM

I'm not buying into moving back the mound. I think you will see a move back to players making contact and handling bats before this happens. It wasn't that long ago where message boards were full of statements like " There is no difference between a strike out and a ground out." Thus, we have seen the rise of all or nothing hitters with killer launch angles to hit baseballs out of the park.

It has always been my contention that there is a significant difference. You have to make a defensive play on those balls. Further, you can advance runners at times to put more pressure on the defense.

Since guys are throwing harder, I think the normal course would be for hitters to adjust to having higher contact rates. This will obviously sacrifice some power, however, it will make the game more interesting IMO. Baseball is a game of adjustments. It's past time for the hitters to adjust to increased velocity and shifts. If you can hit a mid nineties fastball along with exploding breaking stuff, you can obviously handle a bat.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#94 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:17 AM

Neat. Good point.

I used double the amount of words you did.

Until you fix strikeouts the game will continue to suffer. The only real way to do that is to move the mound back.

There’s no way around it.

@fuzydunlop

#95 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:20 AM

I used double the amount of words you did.

Until you fix strikeouts the game will continue to suffer. The only real way to do that is to move the mound back.

There’s no way around it.

I was responding to an article. You were responding to me. Pay me the same respect I pay you. That'd be nice. I've done nothing to you to treat me like an ass. So don't.

#96 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:24 AM

Dude what are you talking about?

I’m going back to lurking.

@fuzydunlop

#97 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:26 AM

Dude what are you talking about?

I’m going back to lurking.

If you're gonna pop in once a week to be a smart ass for no good reason, then please do. What am I talking about? Are you really that unaware? You can be a real jerk sometimes. Don't pretend to not know that.

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:28 AM

If you're gonna pop in once a week to be a smart ass for no good reason, then please do. What am I talking about? Are you really that unaware? You can be a real jerk sometimes. Don't pretend to not know that.

You disagreed with the article.  He disagreed with you.  What was 'jerky' about that?

• Old Man likes this

#99 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:28 AM

You disagreed with the article. He disagreed with you. What was 'jerky' about that?

You're wrong, followed up by I used twice the words you did feels like a dbag way to handle a conversation.

#100 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:37 AM

Miguel Cabrera deserved the MVP the year he hit for the triple crown

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."