• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:28 PM

Zack is going to have an early depth chart in his next article...   looking forward to that. 

There are some questions, but I think this should be a team which goes bowling. 

Aug. 31: Bowling Green
Sept. 14: at Temple
Sept. 21: Syracuse
Sept. 28: Penn State
Oct. 5: at Rutgers
Oct. 12: at Purdue
Oct. 19: Indiana
Oct. 26: at Minnesota
Nov. 2: Michigan
Nov. 9: at Ohio State
Nov. 23: Nebraska
Nov. 30: at Michigan State

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

As usual, another tough schedule. Could see anywhere from 4-7 wins.

Penn St, Michigan and Nebraska all at home....has UM ever hosted 3 football programs with that kind of history in one season? The stadium will definitely be packed for those games, though obviously not all MD fans. I'd love to go to the Nebraska game....always heard they are the best fans in college football, and they travel very well, so expect a lot of them.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

Don't think it matters (they'll all get carries) but surprised you have Lorenzo Harrison ahead of McFarland.
I like Lorenzo, but McFarland is the star.  Actually expect Leake to get more carries than Lorenzo as well. 

Also, I think Jackson is ahead of Piggy. I like Piggy.  I think he has a live arm, and really like the athleticism. I think he can be a very productive college QB.  That said, the questions about his ability to make the necessary throws is real.   And Jackson's 2017 was better than any MD QB in over a decade. 

If all the previous coaches were back, I'd say Piggy's system experience would give him the edge. With a new system, I don't think that experience matters much... aside from his familiarity with other players on the roster. 

Minor, Jordan, Davis a good trio on the line.  Need to read more about Heath and Hunt. The 2nd team Oline has some good names as well. 

Know there are D-Line questions, but if Brandon Gaddy is 2nd team, and Cam Spence is 3rd team... it's in better shape than advertised. 

The starting LB's are decent / good.  I think the 3rd team Frosh could get opportunities though. Maybe I'm short-selling the 2nd team?

Feel pretty good about the Safeties, and the starting Corners.  Would like to hear more about the CB depth.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:58 PM

I think Jackson, and even LeGendre, will get every opportunity to show they can start. And if they were all at the starting line at the same time, I'd lean Jackson. But Pigrome will have the benefit of spring practice, while the other two will not. I think that gives him a slight edge when they reconvene in August. But he'll have his hands full holding off the competition....which is how it should be.

OL - Sean Christie is listed on the 2019 roster on the school's website. I've seen no official announcement, but either he received or UM is very confident he will receive another year of eligibility from the NCAA....though I'm not sure why, as I don't recall him ever missing significant time with an injury.

The same apparently applies to Brett Kulka, though he at least did miss a lot of games last season.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:02 PM

I think Jackson, and even LeGendre, will get every opportunity to show they can start. And if they were all at the starting line at the same time, I'd lean Jackson. But Pigrome will have the benefit of spring practice, while the other two will not. I think that gives him a slight edge when they reconvene in August. But he'll have his hands full holding off the competition....which is how it should be.

OL - Sean Christie is listed on the 2019 roster on the school's website. I've seen no official announcement, but either he received or UM is very confident he will receive another year of eligibility from the NCAA....though I'm not sure why, as I don't recall him ever missing significant time with an injury.

The same apparently applies to Brett Kulka, though he at least did miss a lot of games last season.

The Spring will matter, no doubt... but figure since they'll be installing a new offense, new coaches...  it will still be pretty even going into the Fall.  Competition and depth a good thing either way though.

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

Don't think it matters (they'll all get carries) but surprised you have Lorenzo Harrison ahead of McFarland.
I like Lorenzo, but McFarland is the star.  Actually expect Leake to get more carries than Lorenzo as well. 

Also, I think Jackson is ahead of Piggy. I like Piggy.  I think he has a live arm, and really like the athleticism. I think he can be a very productive college QB.  That said, the questions about his ability to make the necessary throws is real.   And Jackson's 2017 was better than any MD QB in over a decade. 

If all the previous coaches were back, I'd say Piggy's system experience would give him the edge. With a new system, I don't think that experience matters much... aside from his familiarity with other players on the roster. 

Minor, Jordan, Davis a good trio on the line.  Need to read more about Heath and Hunt. The 2nd team Oline has some good names as well. 

Know there are D-Line questions, but if Brandon Gaddy is 2nd team, and Cam Spence is 3rd team... it's in better shape than advertised. 

The starting LB's are decent / good.  I think the 3rd team Frosh could get opportunities though. Maybe I'm short-selling the 2nd team?

Feel pretty good about the Safeties, and the starting Corners.  Would like to hear more about the CB depth.

Yeah, don't put too much weight on the RB ranking. It'll be a committee "hot hand" thing. Fleet-Davis and Funk will get plenty of carries as well. Put Harrison first simply due to seniority.

Like Mike said, Jackson and LeGendre will have every opportunity to win the QB job. But neither of them will be practicing with the team until August, which gives Piggy a decent leg up.

Not sure what's up with Sean Christie. Nothing in his history suggests anything about getting an extra year, so I left him off here. If he does return, he'd be the starting LG. Jaelyn Duncan and Evan Gregory will have the chance to compete for jobs as well.

Kulka is one I hadn't seen, but he only played in 4 games last year so would be eligible for another year. I'll stick him in as the starting SDE and push Rogers and Gaddy down. Gaddy could also slide inside.

Cortez Andrews will have a chance to compete for time, but Nick Underwood is a talented guy with experience. They probably won't run many 3-LB sets, but in those Andrews could see time.

The roster on UMD's website still has Marcus Lewis listed, and he left the program in November so that could be why we're seeing guys like Christie and Kulka still listed.

@BSLZackKiesel

#7 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

Sean Christie missed his 1st 2 seasons because of injury.....

#8 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

Heath Parris is a marginal player that has a lot to learn about P5 quality football

he will do good to be 2nd string. TJ Bradley will be a 3rd string guy. You can

mark Spencer Anderson in that position for now.....or possibly a 2nd unit Guard

Even Gregory I doubt will be in the top 2 lines this year. Ellis Mckeenie might

find himself staring at RT if Duncan or Hunt footwork don't improve. Duncan plays

far too upright at the moment......

#9 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:58 PM

Starting 5......

Minor, Christie, Jordan, Davis.....RT is the question. Best overall player McKennie else will be a fight for Hunt/Duncan/Anderson I feel Hunt will win it.....

2nd

Duncan, Pummer, Hamilton, McKennie, Anderson

Remaining.....

Gregory, Bradley, Wagman, Parris, Lunsford, Finger

Wagman being a huge question mark right now....back is in bad shape

Christie still recovering from Ankle surgery in December

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:47 PM

Balt Sun: Five things to know about incoming Maryland quarterback Josh Jackson

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:31 PM

Testudo Times: Spring Game Set for April 27th
https://www.testudot...c34lMCWbuvoiWO4

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

Testudo Times: Spring Game Set for April 27th
https://www.testudot...c34lMCWbuvoiWO4

It's now announced that the Spring Game will be part of a Triple-Header Maryland Day event at the stadium. It'll be the regular season finale for both lacrosse teams.

Noon - Red-White Spring Game

4:30 - Maryland Women's Lacrosse vs. Johns Hopkins

7:30 - Maryland Men's Lacrosse vs. Johns Hopkins

@BSLZackKiesel

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:57 AM

Maryland announces that all of the football team's spring practices will be open to the media. Good move by Locksley to increase transparency.

@BSLZackKiesel

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:56 PM

Baltimore Sun: Five things to know about incoming Maryland quarterback Josh Jackson

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

BSL: Spring Practice Preview

Maryland's first set of spring practices under new head coach Michael Locksley start tomorrow morning and culminate with the Spring Game on April 27th. In this article, I break down what to watch for over the course of the next month.

@BSLZackKiesel

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:51 PM

UMTerps: Terps Open First Spring Camp Under Locksley

Big takeaway here is that Locksley doesn't plan to call plays this season, those duties will be left to Scottie Montgomery. However he says the system they've installed is the same one he ran at Alabama. So expect a no-huddle west coast spread system run primarily from pistol and shotgun formations. At some point this summer, I'll do an in-depth film breakdown of the Tide's offense from last year and how it'll translate to College Park.

Also, Virginia Tech transfer Sean Savoy will play CB this season after playing WR with the Hokies.

@BSLZackKiesel

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:08 PM

Balt Sun: As spring practice begins for Maryland football team, Locksley sees offensive line as a strength

Balt Sun: Five questions with new Maryland football coach Michael Locksley as spring practice begins

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:08 PM

Something else I caught in reviewing notes from practice yesterday is that CB Marcus Lewis is back with the team after leaving the program in the middle of last season. Big for a team short on corners. Also, this seems to be the early O-Line depth chart:

LT: 1. Jaelyn Duncan, 2. TJ Bradley

LG: 1. Sean Christie, 2. Spencer Anderson

C: 1. Johnny Jordan, 2. Ellis McKennie

RG: 1. Terrance Davis, 2. Evan Gregory

RT: 1. Marcus Minor, 2. Tyran Hunt

The team is currently at 88 scholarship players, so expect at least 3 to transfer out before the start of the season.

@BSLZackKiesel

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

Washington Post: 

Michael Locksley gets to work at Maryland’s first spring football practice

#20 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:42 PM

Don Markus (Baltimore Sun) tweets that redshirt freshman Austin Fontaine has moved from DL to OL this spring after an apparent knee injury to TJ Bradley. Fontaine is a former 4-star recruit from DeMatha who has excellent size at 6'4", 335 lbs. He played both ways in high school.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=