#1 Thirteen

Thirteen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:55 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...s.html#comments

He doesn't appear to be horrible.  Looks like a decent 4th/5th starter option.

https://www.baseball..._medium=linker-

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:19 PM

A lot to like in his peripheral stats.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:26 PM

When healthy, and it has been a few years, Karns is a decent pitcher who can be penciled into the 4th spot in the rotation.  He misses bats, which I am sure is what attracted Elias to him.

@mikeghg

#4 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

He doesn't have a real high spin rate like Elias targets. But his Curve averages 83 mph, which is pretty high. 93mph 4 seam and 2 seam. 86mph change up.

Karns used his curve 36% in 2017. 4 seam 41%, 8% 2 seams. 

Could see them wanting Karns throwing even more breaking stuff, like Lance McCullers, who in 2017 threw 49% curves, 21% 4 seam, 18% 2 seams. In 2018 his curves were about the same (47.6%) but really incorporated the 2 seamer. Up to 35.7%, and the 4 seamer very sparingly, only 0.9%. 

Maybe if you have a straight 4 seam, and can throw the 2 seam, why bother with the straighter, easier to barrel up pitch? Makes sense.

Be interesting to see if his pitch selection skews toward McCullers. Something like 35% sinkers, 49% curves, 15% change, 1% 4 seam.

• BobPhelan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

Nate Karns, 31, had thoracic outlet surgery in July 2017. Was back at spring with the Royals in 2018 but was shut down w elbow inflammation in March and never returned to game action. So he last pitched in MLB in May 2017. Was outrighted in winter and became a free agent.

#6 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:18 AM

This is a good rehab sign.  He's cheap on the club, and if he comes back they have a valuable rotation piece they can use or trade.   It will also be interesting to see how effective the O's coaching methods are at this point.  Obviously their methods are a work in progress, but it will be a good 1st year litmus test.  

I hope there are more guys out there like this. 

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:37 AM

He's just barely over 4 years of service time, so he will be controllable for 2020 as well. 

I believe he has an option left (looks to me like he was optioned in '13 and '14 but not since) so we'll also be able to send him down to Norfolk if needed.  It's even possible, though unlikely, that if he is optioned we could gain an extra year of control by doing so.  He's currently got 4 years and 33 days of service time.  So if he's on the roster for 138 days or fewer, he will be short of finishing the season with 5 years of control and not be due to be a FA until after 2021.  I think there are 186 actual service days (March 28 thru Sept 29) in this coming season, so we'd have to send him down for about 7 weeks.  

#8 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:23 PM

I mean, he’s basically the staff ace right now, right?
@BSLMikeRandall

#9 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

Having TOS surgery is not a good sign that he'll be able to stay healthy as a starter.  If anything it means that if he continues to start using his current mechanics, he'll likely be risking his life with potential blood clots.

He should be in the bullpen if anywhere, but in reality he needs to change his delivery.

Karns is just one of a growing list of pitchers with blood clot or vascular issues due to the way they pitch:

http://clients.chris...lation-Syndrome

#10 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:14 AM

Having TOS surgery is not a good sign that he'll be able to stay healthy as a starter.  If anything it means that if he continues to start using his current mechanics, he'll likely be risking his life with potential blood clots.

He should be in the bullpen if anywhere, but in reality he needs to change his delivery.

Karns is just one of a growing list of pitchers with blood clot or vascular issues due to the way they pitch:

Then he doesn't. 

He's a low-risk, high-reward sign. The worst that happens here for the ballclub is that he doesn't make it, or gets injured.  

• SportsGuy likes this

#11 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:25 AM

Having TOS surgery is not a good sign that he'll be able to stay healthy as a starter. If anything it means that if he continues to start using his current mechanics, he'll likely be risking his life with potential blood clots.

There us a chance that Karns will be unable to throw a mid nineties fastball if he drastically changes his mechanics. Further, I think changing his mechanics would require a lot of work because of all of the muscle memory that he has at this point.

While mechanics may have contributed to some of these cases, heredity and lifestyle may have as well. However,I believe the reason for the spike is that there are many more guys whom are throwing in the mid to upper nineties than ever before. The spike in TOS may very well be a result of these pitchers taxing their bodies.

My guess is that Karns has been rehabbing under doctor's care and that the blood clot issue is at the forefront. Further, he may have tweaked his mechanics during his rehab.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#12 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:32 PM

However,I believe the reason for the spike is that there are many more guys whom are throwing in the mid to upper nineties than ever before. The spike in TOS may very well be a result of these pitchers taxing their bodies.

This is exactly what O'Leary is saying.  Basically pitchers are doing unhealthy things that could potentially be life-threatening just to get a few MPH in velocity on their fastball.  Granted those few MPH can make or break a career, but they shouldn't be learning them in the first place.  Kids in high school and before that are being taught how to pitch incorrectly which is why there is also a spike in Tommy John surgeries for HS kids.  Then if they don't change, they either blow out their shoulder or their elbow once again.  

#13 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

This is exactly what O'Leary is saying. Basically pitchers are doing unhealthy things that could potentially be life-threatening just to get a few MPH in velocity on their fastball. Granted those few MPH can make or break a career, but they shouldn't be learning them in the first place. Kids in high school and before that are being taught how to pitch incorrectly which is why there is also a spike in Tommy John surgeries for HS kids. Then if they don't change, they either blow out their shoulder or their elbow once again.

My position is that the average human is going to be taxed by throwing this hard. At some point an injury will probably occur.

Most TJ surgeries and other arm injuries are caused by overuse by youth coaches. My son strained a rotator cuff a couple of years ago when he was 15. I think that the strain was caused by excessive throwing at a tryout. He was shut down completely for about three weeks and went to physical therapy. He has not had an issue since.

In fact, my son has been working out this winter at a training center that emphasizes velocity training. He started throwing bullpens in late January because of his workload in the summer and fall. They stress arm care along with the drill work that enhances the velocity training.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#14 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:28 PM

Good signing for a rebuilding team.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:56 PM

Was the opener today.  Went 2 innings as by design. 1st inning shaky, but got out of trouble with double play. 

I don't know how many innings he can provide this year, but I think openers are a perfect use for him.

#16 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

Karns to the IL.

Orioles Announce they have placed RHP Nate Karns (right forearm strain) on the 10-day Injured List and recalled RHP Evan Phillips from Triple-A Norfolk. Phillips did not allow a run throughout spring training.

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

That's annoying. This guy just may not ever hold up. Had high hopes we could possibly be opportunistic with his trade value had he gotten it together. Still time, but seems super fragile.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:02 PM

Right forearm strain is a scary precursor injury for a pitcher.  

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:18 PM

He hasn't had any snap on his breaking pitches yet this year.

My guess is that it is a continuation of the soreness he had this spring.

@mikeghg

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

Yea but he also is saying this isn’t a big deal.

I don’t believe it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=