• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#101 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 July 2019 - 02:32 PM

How many times is Dunn going to let them dribble inside? Do they really not have another wing back?

Every. Single. Time. UGH!!

@JeremyMStrain

#102 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

Alex Morgan drinking tea after her goal:

D-fpyqaXUAEFdTc.jpg

#103 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

Poor penalty

#104 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:06 PM

Like the US was losing to the Brits 2 days before July 4th  ;) .

• DJ MC and Mike in STL like this

#105 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

Team played great the first half.

The second half they quit doing what was working and started trying too much 1v1 dribbling and it almost cost them.

England exploited the wide play down our left all day just like every other team. And just like every other team they beat Dunn on the dribble. And just like every other team they then took too long to do anything and let Dunn and her quickness recover.

Press was better today than Rapinoe has been in the run of play. Yes Rapinoe scored our previous four goals but before today how many goals had we scored from the run of play?

Spain - A big fat zero. Two penalties.

France - One of two goals on a counter attack. 

Today: Both goals were scored from the run of play.

Coincidence? No its not. When Rapinoe is on the pitch the team almost insists on playing through her. And yes she is good. But when she is not on the field they play much more versatile. Use both wings. Play over the top in the middle. Play a forward back to goal for a layoff pass. They just don't do near as much of that when Rapinoe is on the field.

The real shame is that the US has had to play two games in a row that should have been the final. And what those two games got them.....was another final. But at no more. This next one IS the final and the US will, for the first time this tournament, have the extra day of rest come Sunday.

#106 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:48 AM

Like the US was losing to the Brits 2 days before July 4th ;) .

I haven’t been paying attention but I was going to comment something similar.
@BSLMikeRandall

#107 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

Team played great the first half.

The second half they quit doing what was working and started trying too much 1v1 dribbling and it almost cost them.

England exploited the wide play down our left all day just like every other team. And just like every other team they beat Dunn on the dribble. And just like every other team they then took too long to do anything and let Dunn and her quickness recover.

Press was better today than Rapinoe has been in the run of play. Yes Rapinoe scored our previous four goals but before today how many goals had we scored from the run of play?

Spain - A big fat zero. Two penalties.

France - One of two goals on a counter attack. 

Today: Both goals were scored from the run of play.

Coincidence? No its not. When Rapinoe is on the pitch the team almost insists on playing through her. And yes she is good. But when she is not on the field they play much more versatile. Use both wings. Play over the top in the middle. Play a forward back to goal for a layoff pass. They just don't do near as much of that when Rapinoe is on the field.

The real shame is that the US has had to play two games in a row that should have been the final. And what those two games got them.....was another final. But at no more. This next one IS the final and the US will, for the first time this tournament, have the extra day of rest come Sunday.

Yeah was not lost on me how much better they looked in the field letting others control the ball. Lavelle was a monster out there with her footwork, she destroyed that one girl through her legs and then almost put one in. That was so dirty.

A matter of 3 feet lower and we had two more goals on balls Ertz just missed high on from the top of the box, and Lavelle had one like that from even deeper. Gotta mix up the scoring chances and locations, to your point, instead of just going through one player.

The book is out, play Morgan physical and knock her around, and then double down on Rapinoe when she gets the ball. They have to mix that up some, lord knows they have like 7 other players that can put the ball away...gotta use them.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#108 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

They're still rubbing it in with the tea celebration. You won. Let it go.

#109 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:20 PM

The tea celebration wasn't even all that good.  Rapinoe's "Majestic Pose" for lack of better phrasing was much better.

#110 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:21 PM

They're still rubbing it in with the tea celebration. You won. Let it go.

How big is the women's game in England/Europe Russ?  Always seemed to me like the US has been at the forefront of women's sports and it shows in events like these, just curious how the popularity of the women's game compares to the men's over there.

#111 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

The US men’s team has no respect around the world. They get laughed at. The women get ridiculed because no one is as good as them.

The men’s teams around the world celebrate like crazy, have arrogance all over the place, etc...people applaud them for it, talk about the culture of the sport, etc...

The women’s team beats the hell out of everyone and show arrogance and yet they are the bad guys? GTFO. What a bunch of pussies everyone has become. What, because they are women they can’t show arrogance, brashness, etc..? I hate everyone turning every argument into something it’s not (sexism, racism, etc..) but this is all
about people trying to tell a woman to act “more like a woman” as opposed to a guy who is allowed to be a caveman and be stupid.

I hope if the US women win, they celebrate ala Ovechkin and if people don’t like it, tell them to GF themselves.

#112 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

How big is the women's game in England/Europe Russ? Always seemed to me like the US has been at the forefront of women's sports and it shows in events like these, just curious how the popularity of the women's game compares to the men's over there.

They don't much care, comparitive to the US.

Women in track and field or tennis? Love it.

#113 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

The US men’s team has no respect around the world. They get laughed at. The women get ridiculed because no one is as good as them.

The men’s teams around the world celebrate like crazy, have arrogance all over the place, etc...people applaud them for it, talk about the culture of the sport, etc...

The women’s team beats the hell out of everyone and show arrogance and yet they are the bad guys? GTFO. What a bunch of pussies everyone has become. What, because they are women they can’t show arrogance, brashness, etc..? I hate everyone turning every argument into something it’s not (sexism, racism, etc..) but this is all about people trying to tell a woman to act “more like a woman” as opposed to a guy who is allowed to be a caveman and be stupid.

I hope if the US women win, they celebrate ala Ovechkin and if people don’t like it, tell them to GF themselves.

Right, like when TO did the Ray Lewis dance or spiked the ball on the star in Dallas. No one cared.

#114 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Eh, the British team and (mostly) media hyped this match up before hand.  Claimed the USWNT was arrogant, Brits weren't scared, etc.  It was *everywhere* this week.  

Fine line between confidence and arrogance.  I think the US team is much more the former, however biased that is.  

Make the penalty shot and maybe this is different.  

• JeremyStrain likes this

@fuzydunlop

#115 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:26 PM

Right, like when TO did the Ray Lewis dance or spiked the ball on the star in Dallas. No one cared.

People cared because people don’t like TO and they were being stupid.

#116 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:41 PM

I am with Rob. People have become way too sensitive. I thought the Morgan cup of tea was funny. And it wasn't that big a deal yet somehow its earth shattering news. People need to get over themselves.

More importantly the Dutch and Swedes are still tied 0-0 in the 77th minute. Pulling for the Dutch. When I played in college my goalkeeper jersey was a Dutch jersey and my favorite player was Johan Cruyff. Besides we have played Sweden already this tournament and a total of 6 times in the WC. We have never played the Dutch at the WC.

#117 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

Woo Hoo Netherlands wins 1-0

Now we have four days for Alex and company to figure out a great goal scoring celebration. Maybe pop open a bottle of Orange Crush on the sideline....LOL.

#118 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:22 PM

Eh, the British team and (mostly) media hyped this match up before hand.  Claimed the USWNT was arrogant, Brits weren't scared, etc.  It was *everywhere* this week.  

Fine line between confidence and arrogance.  I think the US team is much more the former, however biased that is.  

Make the penalty shot and maybe this is different.  

This x 100. All I heard was how "arrogant" they were. Then they won. They weren't out there playing like arrogant jerks. They were checking on English players when contact would happen, helping them up. So what if someone celebrated. Like Rob said the men are so much more obnoxious about it in every other country. People need to get over themselves and stop pouting that they wanted the upset and didn't get it.

If they are the favorite to win, how are you going to be butt hurt when they do?

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#119 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:03 AM

The Ringer: What to Watch in the USA-Netherlands World Cup Final

#120 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF