36 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:44 PM

Even if you let students in free, they will purchase food items.

Yeah, that's happening, and not working. But you may have accidentally stumbled onto the solution there. Perhaps they are doing it backwards....make the food free, and the students will show up in droves.

#22 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:36 AM

Yeah, that's happening, and not working. But you may have accidentally stumbled onto the solution there. Perhaps they are doing it backwards....make the food free, and the students will show up in droves.

Eh, they used to give us free food and I don't think it moved the attendance needle much. Students aren't the issue, the student section is actually pretty large compared to the size of the student body. There are 10,000 student seats, which is more than Nebraska and actually almost as many as Michigan's and Wisconsin's. The only reason they haven't made it smaller is because the general public is barely buying any seats as it is.

And yet, you probably get an average of 7,500-ish students to most games. Sure they leave at halftime, but filling the student section isn't the issue. It's selling tickets to the public, and that won't happen until they start winning games.

@BSLZackKiesel

#23 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:27 AM

Baltimore Sun article about how MD's football revenues were dropping, even before McNair.

http://www.baltimore...1019-story.html

#24 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:19 PM

Baltimore Sun article about how MD's football revenues were dropping, even before McNair.

http://www.baltimore...1019-story.html

But analysts wonder about relying on football in the long term. There are concerns about the sport's future given recent studies on the effect of repeated collisions on the brain. Youth participation in the sport has been declining.

“There’s something about football that is starting to turn people off,” Weaver said. “It’s not trending in the right direction, but I don’t know folks in higher education know any other way to fund athletics.”

I think one of the issues, beyond what I quoted, is the simple fact some alumni are put off by Maryland joining the Big Ten. To them, they essentially eliminated a handful of rivalries that those people have memories attached to. Essentially, they're thinking they cashed in on those memories for a bigger pay day (becoming the Big Ten's doormat). 

Can't really blame them either. 

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:58 PM

I think one of the issues, beyond what I quoted, is the simple fact some alumni are put off by Maryland joining the Big Ten. To them, they essentially eliminated a handful of rivalries that those people have memories attached to. Essentially, they're thinking they cashed in on those memories for a bigger pay day (becoming the Big Ten's doormat). 

Can't really blame them either. 

I can understand that for basketball. But for football I don't think there was anything special about the "rivalries" they had in the ACC. If anything was different, I think it was simply that MD was more competitive football-wise in the ACC than they are in the Big Ten....and that probably has as much to do with the step up in competition than a decline in MD's quality of play (with maybe a couple notable exceptions over the years).

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:50 PM

I can understand that for basketball. But for football I don't think there was anything special about the "rivalries" they had in the ACC. If anything was different, I think it was simply that MD was more competitive football-wise in the ACC than they are in the Big Ten....and that probably has as much to do with the step up in competition than a decline in MD's quality of play (with maybe a couple notable exceptions over the years).

Agree with this completely.  I hate the move to Big Ten basketball and always will.  But I more or less nothing the move to Big Ten football.  If somehow Terps football became really good on a national level, I'd likely prefer the Big Ten to the old or new ACC.  The only football rivalry I ever really cared about was against Philip Rivers (not NC State as a whole). 

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:51 PM

I thought it was half full myself

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

MD fans don't care about football.  They never really have.  Its a basketball school.

Shitty stadium doesn't help either.

Great place to be for basketball but for football?  its irrelevant.

Of course, there is no reason for the school not to be better in football but it just hasn't happened.

They need a real name coach.  Someone like Les Miles, for example.

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:46 PM

MD fans don't care about football.  They never really have.  Its a basketball school.

Shitty stadium doesn't help either.

Great place to be for basketball but for football?  its irrelevant.

Of course, there is no reason for the school not to be better in football but it just hasn't happened.

They need a real name coach.  Someone like Les Miles, for example.

I don't think MD is a basketball school anymore either. Lots of empty seats at Comcast for many games these days, even for conference matchups (and it was noticeable when they were still in the ACC). 15 years of mostly unabated mediocrity has sucked a lot of life out of the fanbase for both sports.

And while the stadium doesn't help, I don't think that hurts them either. Drop M&T onto the UM campus and I doubt you draw any more fans than they are now.

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:08 PM

Maryland/DC is a place that has to win if they want fans. It's that simple. Same for the Orioles, same for the Ravens, Skins, Caps, etc... Caps sellout every single game. Wonder why? O's have plenty of seats available every game. Wonder why? 

Some of those years with Fridge they set attendance records. The year they opened with Miami in primetime I was there, and the place was packed. They had been winning enough to earn primetime billing in week 1. 

Simple as that. Win more, games become more important, more people come.

@BSLMikeRandall

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:13 PM

Maryland/DC is a place that has to win if they want fans. It's that simple. Same for the Orioles, same for the Ravens, Skins, Caps, etc... Caps sellout every single game. Wonder why? O's have plenty of seats available every game. Wonder why?

Some of those years with Fridge they set attendance records. The year they opened with Miami in primetime I was there, and the place was packed. They had been winning enough to earn primetime billing in week 1.

Simple as that. Win more, games become more important, more people come.

Exactly right...especially true for MD football, playing in the middle of two cities with numerous pro (and other entertainment) options.

#32 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:45 PM

Flipping through games last weekend and came across Texas vs Texas Tech. In football crazy Texas. And Texas is actually ranked again. And yet the stadium seemed to have a LOT of empty seats. I was pretty surprised. Seems like football attendance and enthusiasm in general is wanting a bit.

Not to say Maryland isn't in bad shape there, just that it seems the phenomenon is getting more widespread.

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:28 PM

Great crowd today, obviously a ton of OSU fans. But the team fed off the energy, and same colors so it looked great. ;)

#34 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:49 AM

Should the Terps consider becoming a mid-major, and just allow the other sports to remain in the Big10?  In terms of performance, recruiting area and fan support, I truly believe we are currently on par with the Towsons and James Madisons...

Marine Corps Sniper...One Shot One Kill

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:58 AM

No
  • Chris B likes this

#36 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:40 AM

Should the Terps consider becoming a mid-major, and just allow the other sports to remain in the Big10?  In terms of performance, recruiting area and fan support, I truly believe we are currently on par with the Towsons and James Madisons...

Lol

@BSLZackKiesel

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:16 PM

They could consider it all they want. Then the Big Ten would say, "We're counting on your football team to be a scrimmage week for our marquee teams. If you want to go be a 'mid-major' program, you'll have to take the rest of your teams with you. I'm sure we can find some other school that will take our $50 million checks each year."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=