• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:29 PM

Right now today it's Witt and nothing else is close.

#3 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

GREAT article and confirms my belief. Given the O's not very good record with developing pitchers and the data given in this article there is no way the O's should draft a pitcher with their first pick (whether that turns out to be #1 or #2).

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:33 PM

I would say no team should take a pitcher (say in the top 3 or so) over a position player unless there aren’t any position players worthy of being drafted that high.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,424 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:32 PM

Right now today it's Witt and nothing else is close.

Plenty of guys are close.  Many scouts don't even have Witt #1.

#6 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 05:36 PM

Plenty of guys are close.  Many scouts don't even have Witt #1.

Hopefully not our scouts.

#7 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

Yep #QuitForWitt all the way. No way do I take a college catcher that high after seeing Wieters and Zunino fail to live up to the promise. Posey bucked the trend. Rutschman has been compared to Wieters,and while he did have some good seasons for a catcher, no way was he worth the #1 pick overall.

Plenty of teams have won without drafting a top catcher. An elite player with a high ceiling is a must. Witt checks all those boxes, as he's similar to Harper but plays a more valuable position.

#8 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:20 PM

I would say no team should take a pitcher (say in the top 3 or so) over a position player unless there aren’t any position players worthy of being drafted that high.

I agree 100%.  Especially the Orioles, who have an abysmal track record in developing pitchers.  I wish they would have stockpiled nothing but position players in the trades too. 

#9 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:26 PM

Lots of baseball for this kids between now and June. But as of today I think you would have to take Witt. Premium position and one of need within the organization.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:30 PM

I agree 100%. Especially the Orioles, who have an abysmal track record in developing pitchers. I wish they would have stockpiled nothing but position players in the trades too.

They have still developed some guys..but even the best teams have misses and injuries are just so prevalent with pitching that i have always preferred the position player route.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,424 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:46 PM

Lots of baseball for this kids between now and June. But as of today I think you would have to take Witt. Premium position and one of need within the organization.

Agree that he's the guy today.

I'm only kicking back against the bad opinions that are saying he will definitely be the guy in June. He's clearly not that far ahead of eveyone else that you wouldn't consider what they do from this point forward much more than what they've done to date. Lots of baseball to play.

#12 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:42 AM

They have still developed some guys..but even the best teams have misses and injuries are just so prevalent with pitching that i have always preferred the position player route.

We have the offseason and assets to

I agree 100%.  Especially the Orioles, who have an abysmal track record in developing pitchers.  I wish they would have stockpiled nothing but position players in the trades too. 

We have the offseason and some assets ( Cashner, Givens, Cobb) to fill those needs.

#13 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:44 AM

I could toss Bundy in there, too.

#14 ZachSpedden

ZachSpedden

HOF

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

It has been weeks since the 2018 regular season ended, yet much remains up in the air about the Baltimore Orioles’ future. The team’s split from Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations Dan Duquette leaves a leadership vacancy in baseball operations that must be filled, along with the managerial spot previously held by Buck Showalter.

Given those issues—combined with how the ongoing rebuild will shape the major league roster for 2019—there are more questions than answers when it comes to the Orioles future. One certainty for 2019, however, is that the Orioles will hold the number one pick in next June’s draft, and it will amount to one of the most important decisions the club makes during its rebuilding process.

I look at how the Orioles should approach the top pick, and two (very early) contenders to go first overall. 

https://www.baltimor...rtance-orioles/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mackus like this

#15 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

Witt is my pick here. A starting point, a major building block for a rebuild.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

Balt Sun: Orioles making moves for present, but 2019 draft clearly already in focus for new GM Mike Elias

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:19 AM

Elias is on 105.7's Hot Stove show tonight with Jim Hunter and Roch.   6PM

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#18 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

Elias is on 105.7's Hot Stove show tonight with Jim Hunter and Roch. 6PM

Hopefully it’ll be available online after or someone transcribes it.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#19 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:20 PM

I'm not sure if this the right place to put this, since he hasn't been drafted by anyone yet, but after a mention by Bob Phelan in another thread, I thought Adley Ruschman. might be an interesting topic of conversation. 

https://d1baseball.c...dley-rutschman/

https://www.mlb.com/...led/c-301460626

https://www.youtube....h?v=NtkHLjw8ECU

Stat-wise, Ruschman looks phenomenal on paper.  He hit over .400 with more BBs than Ks. He didn't really look like a power hitter, but he could develop into a Mauer-type of bat.  However, he only hit .234 the previous year, and this his one real year. 

In the roundup on MLB.com, Callis had him at a 60 as a defender. 

Looking at his ABs, his swing imo is pretty messy.  He wastes a lot of effort moving the bat around, and doesn't always have the bat in the right place to hit the ball.  In that little snapshot I watched, it almost went to the point where it looked like he had it out of position and it cause him to miss the barrel.  

The fact he still manages to hit the ball so well is probably up to his batting eye.  He seems like he's always locked in at the plate, and that he has very good command of the strikezone as a hitter. 

Imo, it would be a mistake to get this guy.  They could probably get a C with a great glove in the lower rounds, and catchers with bats are a fantastic luxury.  

• BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this

#20 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

Still have all next spring to get more data but I am with you. Right now I think its Witt, Jr. Certainly could change come June though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=