BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:36 AM

Saw 'araiderfan' who posts here, post this at Testudo Times:
https://www.testudot...r-espn#comments

I just spoke with a few players….

Almost all feel that what is being done to Durkin (and Court) is completely wrong.
Feeling is a few malcontents are spreading rumors and taking advantage of Jordan’s death to do so…
Some players feel they are being treated unfairly of the situation almost going thru another grieving process.
Any player who has been recruited in the last 3 years is highly and visibly upset about the situation.
Most of the 4 and 5 year guys are as well. Any guys showing in difference to the situation are
4th or 5th year guys.
Feeling is the 2 anonymous players are either 4th or 5th year guys whose spots have been taken by younger guys…
Anonymous coach is felt to be Pete Lembo…who was forced from the program a few months ago…..and does
have school age children and his uppity Georgetown ways did not fit in with the program coaches or players
A few players have left camp, not the program, CAMP, and have said they will return when Durkin returns.
Neither player has ever seen Coach Court throw anything at any player or be physical at any player. There
has been screaming but it is intense and motivational type screaming. Also said that Coach Court would do anything
for anybody at anytime and is a great person.
Neither has seen anyone have food slapped from a players hands during meetings.
Neither has seen Coach Durkin mistreat anyone in the context of the story….just normal coach player interactions.
None of the guys have anything against Canada and they like him….but they are Durkins guys.
They had nothing to say negative about and like Wes Robinson but they did not say much about him
The players are behind Durkin well, you cant say a 100% but can probably say 95% as there are a few anonymous
taking advantage of one situation to fight their own agenda

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

The lone path for Durkin coaching another game at MD is if the players on the roster loudly rally around him and make known they want Durkin to be retained.

That's it. That's the only way the court of public opinion will be on Durkin's side.

Other than that, I'm pleased that someone like Canada was here and available as a stop-gap (or more). He has a legitimate resume, and he is just arriving here, so that helps. (And to Mike's points in the article, also represent a challenge.)

Definitely have to wonder where the players will be emotionally, and focus wise.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:54 AM

There was another post in that Testudo Times comments section, I'd like to highlight.... this one from 'CharmCityCrab.'

"I think a distinction has to be made. If Maryland football has taken an ethically unacceptable path under part of Durkin’s coaching staff, Durkin and his coaching staff, or even the entire university leadership including the Dean and the AD, that does not mean that we need to root against or abandon rooting for our home team. It looks like the people to blame for this are headed out the door. We’ll have different people in charge soon, at least from head coach on down. The people specifically singled out in the reports have already been suspended and will probably be fired as soon as the university feels it has followed due process.

I don’t know if TT has reported this yet, but both the current Governor of Maryland and the Democratic nominee for Governor who’ll be running against him have issued public statements about this. Things have gotten that far up the chain. It’s not going to be swept under the rug. I honestly think Durkin and the suspended staff members are not going to ever return at this point.

So, if you’re a Maryland fan, you can root for your home state’s team on Saturdays without feeling like you’re supporting anything negative. The people who did the questionable things won’t be on the sidelines or on the field. It’s a Matt Canada coached team of student-athletes from Maryland- student-athletes who have apparently had to put up with a lot of things they never should have had to put up with, and who deserve every win they can get, especially under the circumstances.

Next year, we’ll likely have an entirely new staff from the head coach on down.

I don’t think anyone who abandons the Terps over this, as long as they are making it right, was a real fan in the first place, honestly. Now, if they bring back Court and Durkin from suspension, well, that’s a different story- you don’t have to support that type of stuff. But right now it’s being taken care of, it’s as close to a new regime as they reasonably can get at this point in the year, and it’ll be an entirely new regime next year. You’re not supporting what happened in the past, you’re supporting what is happening right now and in the future.

And, frankly, if you love Maryland football, the program needs you now more than ever.

If you want to say that the Dean and the AD knew about this and have to go also, that’s you’re right, and maybe you are correct about that, I don’t know. However, if they go, too, you have no excuse for not supporting your team going forward."

What do you think about these comments?

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

Saw 'araiderfan' who posts here, post this at Testudo Times:
https://www.testudot...r-espn#comments

I just spoke with a few players….
Almost all feel that what is being done to Durkin (and Court) is completely wrong.
Feeling is a few malcontents are spreading rumors and taking advantage of Jordan’s death to do so…
Some players feel they are being treated unfairly of the situation almost going thru another grieving process.
Any player who has been recruited in the last 3 years is highly and visibly upset about the situation.
Most of the 4 and 5 year guys are as well. Any guys showing in difference to the situation are
4th or 5th year guys.
Feeling is the 2 anonymous players are either 4th or 5th year guys whose spots have been taken by younger guys…
Anonymous coach is felt to be Pete Lembo…who was forced from the program a few months ago…..and does
have school age children and his uppity Georgetown ways did not fit in with the program coaches or players
A few players have left camp, not the program, CAMP, and have said they will return when Durkin returns.
Neither player has ever seen Coach Court throw anything at any player or be physical at any player. There
has been screaming but it is intense and motivational type screaming. Also said that Coach Court would do anything
for anybody at anytime and is a great person.
Neither has seen anyone have food slapped from a players hands during meetings.
Neither has seen Coach Durkin mistreat anyone in the context of the story….just normal coach player interactions.
None of the guys have anything against Canada and they like him….but they are Durkins guys.
They had nothing to say negative about and like Wes Robinson but they did not say much about him
The players are behind Durkin well, you cant say a 100% but can probably say 95% as there are a few anonymous
taking advantage of one situation to fight their own agenda

It was a hit piece. I dont know what people dont get about that. People with agendas. If the McNairs death was because of negligence by the program then the family should be compensated. Changes should be made. Maybe even people fired. But Durkin should not be fired because of this hit piece that was written by and only interviewed people who had an agenda against the program. Denich has wanted to get back at Maryland any way she could for over a decade now.

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:03 AM

It was a hit piece. I dont know what people dont get about that. People with agendas. If the McNairs death was because of negligence by the program then the family should be compensated. Changes should be made. Maybe even people fired. But Durkin should not be fired because of this hit piece that eas written by and only interviewed people who had an agenda against the program. Denich has wanted to get back at Maryland any way she could for over a decade now

http://www.baltimore...ld-be/?p=375251

http://www.baltimore...ld-be/?p=380710
  • The Epic likes this

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:09 AM

http://www.baltimore...ld-be/?p=375251

http://www.baltimore...ld-be/?p=380710

I have no idea what youre trying to say.

As I said in my post, if the program was negligent and contributed to McNairs death they should compensate the family. Changes should be implemented and maybe people should be fired. Maryland should be responsible for that one thing. What shouldnt happen is Durkin being fired because people with agendas are taking advantage of McNairs death to spread rumors and put out a false narrative. I have little doubt that the way Durkin runs his program is similar to most colleges and a lot of HS programs

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:10 AM

bnickle, on 12 Aug 2018 - 10:04, said:
It was a hit piece. I dont know what people dont get about that. People with agendas. If the McNairs death was because of negligence by the program then the family should be compensated. Changes should be made. Maybe even people fired. But Durkin should not be fired because of this hit piece that was written by and only interviewed people who had an agenda against the program. Denich has wanted to get back at Maryland any way she could for over a decade now.

Years ago I traded several messages with Heather Dinich. I'm not a fan.

As I've said from Friday night, I also found the reporting in the article to be light. Substantial enough for a full investigation. Light enough with on the record sources, that you have to have a 3rd party investigation.

But... the damage has been done. If it was an inaccurate piece of reporting, then the players will loudly stand up and make known they want Durkin back.

If the reporting was accurate, they won't.

In-terms of being a hit piece or Dinich having an axe to grind; that gets to be conspiracy based for me. Friedgen tells her to F off 15 years ago, so she makes up sources (in a story where she wasn't the only reporter)? Really?
  • CantonJester likes this

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

No one said shes making up sources. You could find legit sources in every program/organization (pro or college) that that have an axe to grind

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

I have no idea what youre trying to say.

As I said in my post, if the program was negligent and contributed to McNairs death they should compensate the family. Changes should be implemented and maybe people should be fired. Maryland should be responsible for that one thing. What shouldnt happen is Durkin being fired because people with agendas are taking advantage of McNairs death to spread rumors and put out a false narrative. I have little doubt that the way Durkin runs his program is similar to most colleges and a lot of HS programs

At the minimum Rob is showing those links to show you had a rush to judgement with the stories coming out of UNC, prior to a full investigation.

It's no different here.  A million bnickle's on boards for all teams have had similar judgements about Maryland since Friday night. Sometimes you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

The taint will always be there. 

That's why unless the players loudly come to his defense, there is no way Durkin gets past that (nor should he).

If the reporting is inaccurate, the players are the ones who can correct the narrative.

If they don't? That's pretty telling.

• The Epic likes this

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

I don't care if they rally behind Durkin. The black and white of it is, what happened with Jordan McNair? That's the truth I need to hear. That's the only thing that matters.
  • CantonJester likes this

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:17 AM

And I also said in that thread about UNC that similar things happen in all programs. Maybe not fake academic programs but these kids have puff classes, professors and TAs changing grades, people doing school work for them, etc. The difference of course is nothing happens to a blue blood basketball program like UNC
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:17 AM

No one said shes making up sources. You could find legit sources in every program/organization (pro or college) that that have an axe to grind

Yes, you could. And a couple of disgruntled players could just be a couple of disgruntled players.

You have to conduct a 3rd party investigation, where you interview the roster as a whole.

But even before that, we can judge the responses we see from the players. If they are disturbed that Durkin is on leave... they will be going to the Administration en masse and making that known.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

I don't care if they rally behind Durkin. The black and white of it is, what happened with Jordan McNair? That's the truth I need to hear. That's the only thing that matters.

Ohh, yeah I don't feel the same there.  If the players largely come to Durkin's defense and refute the narrative of a toxic culture, then their opinions should be heard (and matter the most).  Similarly, if the players don't come to his defense, or largely collaborate the reporting, their opinions matter the most.

With McNair, you have to determine:

- Was there negligence?
- Did you (Durkin) institute a culture, which contributed to what happened?

- Were there other factors? (And if so, should those factors been identified by staff)?

• Hooded Viper likes this

#15 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

I honestly want to hear from all the players as to whether or not they feel their safety or their sanity has ever been in question from this coaching staff. Let’s talk to the current players or how about a conversation with DJ Moore. I suspect you’ll hear a very different opinion of the coaching staff than what is currently being reported. Coach Durkin is renowned for his recruiting ability, there is no way a man who comes into family homes and recruits kids can act like a monster, Or should I say it is hard to believe. It is an unfortunate situation and certainly the training staff needs to answer some questions, but I don’t see any house cleaning has to happen. Unfortunately, because we are in the era of the wussificaton of America and everything is so politically fucking correct, Durkin will be fired I have no doubt.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

The last two can be refuted by the players, but I think the first one is going to take time, and so far none have come foward to publicly address that item in particular, unless I've missed it.

#17 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:27 AM

The last two can be refuted by the players, but I think the first one is going to take time, and so far none have come foward to publicly address that item in particular, unless I've missed it.

This isn’t the NFL, players don’t just get to go to the media and talk about anything. They even have their social media accounts monitored by the school and team. They are only going to come out if they are prompted.

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:28 AM

This isn’t the NFL, players don’t just get to go to the media and talk about anything. They even have their social media accounts monitored by the school and team. They are only going to come out if they are prompted.

This seems like an obvious enough prompt, no?

#19 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:30 AM

This seems like an obvious enough prompt, no?

You would think so but these are kids, they are basically told by the coaching staff and the administration what to do 100% of the time. And let’s face it, nobody on this squad is a full blown star that is above and beyond the program. So I think they’re all probably waiting to get authorization to give their story.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

@Jeff_Ermann 16h16 hours ago

From a PR angle, U-MD has put itself in a terrible spot -- one segment angry they've sidelined Durkin based on unnamed-sourced article, and the other angry they didn't act sooner. Should've been addressed long before ESPN's reports. Can't bury your head and hope it disappears.

@CamChism 20h20 hours ago

My experiences at Maryland, in the DJ Durkin Era were all positive experiences. The coaches welcomed the alum and their families with open arms. The players all seemed to be having fun and comfortable. Don’t believe everything you read!

@barrysvrluga 23h23 hours ago

The environment DJ Durkin oversees at Maryland is unacceptable. Don’t let the door hit you, coach.

@DannySutton23 16h16 hours ago

Wouldn’t trade my two years with Coach DJ Durkin for anything, one of the more genuine coaches I have been around @TerpsFootball @espn @BaltSunSports

@SInow 20h20 hours ago

South Carolina coach Will Muschamp defends Terrapins coach D.J. Durkin and rips ESPN's report that alleges a toxic culture at Maryland (via @gamecocksonline) pic.twitter.com/5VCqO6Gmek

@JamesCrabtreeH 21h21 hours ago

The University of Maryland paid DJ Durkin and Rick Court $1.57 million over the past two seasons. It committed $24K to the investigation of Jordan McNair’s death.

@TestudoDave 12h12 hours ago

Is it possible these allegations against Durkin and the Maryland football program and staff could be exaggerated or false? I suppose. Do I think the staff allegedly involved should be suspended pending an investigation? Absolutely. Jordan McNair is dead. Find out why ASAP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=