68 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

@masnRoch 53m53 minutes ago

Move official: The #Orioles have added INF Jonathan Villar to the 25-man roster and optioned INF Breyvic Valera to Triple-A Norfolk

#2 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

Villar red hot start for O's hitting .471 (8-17).  Schoop cold going 1-16 with 8Ks.   

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

#3 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:46 AM

It's early, but I like the energy that villar brings. If he can stay healthy, he will be a more than adequate replacement for Schoop.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:51 AM

Its even possible Villar puts up a higher WAR than Schoop over the next year or two. Its not that hes not an adequate to solid MLB player. Its that Schoop should have been traded for all young upside talent. Villar will just be a guy for the next 2 years. Hes not gonna be part of the next core when we hope to contend.

#5 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:07 AM

Its even possible Villar puts up a higher WAR than Schoop over the next year or two. Its not that hes not an adequate to solid MLB player. Its that Schoop should have been traded for all young upside talent. Villar will just be a guy for the next 2 years. Hes not gonna be part of the next core when we hope to contend.

I don't Schoop had as much trade value as some on here believe. He struggled for a couple of months offensively before he got extremely hot. Other than his arm, he's not really a plus defender. More importantly, I don't think there were any positive signs that Schoop was not going to re-sign here. IMO, the Orioles were better off moving him this year instead of his walk year. The returns would have probably be diminishing as time wore on. I see your point, but I don't have a problem with the orioles acquiring an established major leaguer to at least be a place holder during the rebuild. Besides, the Brewers were in a bit of a roster crunch and taking on Villar and his contract helped facilitate the acquisition of the two prospects. He 's the same age as Schoop and has an extra year of control. Best case he gets flipped for a prospect before his contract expires, worst case he keeps the position warm until a middle infield prospect pushes his way into the roster.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:33 AM

I don't Schoop had as much trade value as some on here believe. He struggled for a couple of months offensively before he got extremely hot. Other than his arm, he's not really a plus defender. More importantly, I don't think there were any positive signs that Schoop was not going to re-sign here. IMO, the Orioles were better off moving him this year instead of his walk year. The returns would have probably be diminishing as time wore on. I see your point, but I don't have a problem with the orioles acquiring an established major leaguer to at least be a place holder during the rebuild. Besides, the Brewers were in a bit of a roster crunch and taking on Villar and his contract helped facilitate the acquisition of the two prospects. He 's the same age as Schoop and has an extra year of control. Best case he gets flipped for a prospect before his contract expires, worst case he keeps the position warm until a middle infield prospect pushes his way into the roster.

If you want to find an established MLer at 2b during the rebuild for a few years you can sign a middling to lower tier FA. And Schoop may not have had as much value as some Os fans think. Still, to take back Villar was not smart unless the Brewers viewed him completely as a salary dump. That just wasnt the case though. Hes got a 1.5 rWAR this year. Hes not making very much money. He wasnt a salary dump. The Os asked for him.

#7 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

If you want to find an established MLer at 2b during the rebuild for a few years you can sign a middling to lower tier FA. And Schoop may not have had as much value as some Os fans think. Still, to take back Villar was not smart unless the Brewers viewed him completely as a salary dump. That just wasnt the case though. Hes got a 1.5 rWAR this year. Hes not making very much money. He wasnt a salary dump. The Os asked for him.

I don't think it was a bad move to take on Villar no matter the circumstances. He's not blocking anyone and they picked up two prospects in the deal. He's here now, so I hope he does well.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:12 AM

I don't think it was a bad move to take on Villar no matter the circumstances. He's not blocking anyone and they picked up two prospects in the deal. He's here now, so I hope he does well.

I hope he does well. It's the only way it makes sense. As he won't be contributing to a winning Orioles team. So if he plays well, maybe we can get something for him that will contribute to a winning Orioles team. My biggest thing is all the guys targeted that are already here or knocking on the door and have VERY limited upside and/or won't be around when we're good. 

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

I think the will he be with the Orioles when they are good again, is slightly over blown.

For one, we do not know when the Orioles will be good again.  We hope 2-3 years, but it could be a lot longer.

Second, Until, we are good again, we need to keep the trains and buses moving.  Losing 115 games a year,  is certainly not going to help put butts in the seats.  We have to have some place holders until better players come through the system.

• russsnyder likes this
@mikeghg

#10 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:03 AM

Villar red hot start for O's hitting .471 (8-17).  Schoop cold going 1-16 with 8Ks.   

Wow, his first 4 games with the O's were almost as good as Tim Beckham's.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:23 AM

Wow, his first 4 games with the O's were almost as good as Tim Beckham's.

Yep and Beckham has never cooled off.   :-P

@mikeghg

#12 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:26 AM

Yep and Beckham has never cooled off.   :-P

Yep, Beckham is everybody's favorite Oriole and a perennial All Star, so it will be great to have two guys like that now.

#13 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:39 AM

I think the will he be with the Orioles when they are good again, is slightly over blown.

For one, we do not know when the Orioles will be good again.  We hope 2-3 years, but it could be a lot longer.

Second, Until, we are good again, we need to keep the trains and buses moving.  Losing 115 games a year,  is certainly not going to help put butts in the seats.  We have to have some place holders until better players come through the system.

I look at Villar as a place holder and a decent one at that.

You are also correct that it may take longer than two to three years for the Orioles to be good again.

One thing is for sure, they have been awful for over a year now,

#14 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

I am surprised that Schoop is off to such a slow start after connecting with his best buddy Manny in LA.

I figured that they would have another crying session together like they had in Baltimore when Manny was traded.

I wonder what flavor ice cream they had when they had their good cry?

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:46 AM

I am surprised that Schoop is off to such a slow start after connecting with his best buddy Manny in LA.

I figured that they would have another crying session together like they had in Baltimore when Manny was traded.

I wonder what flavor ice cream they had when they had their good cry?

?

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

I look at Villar as a place holder and a decent one at that.

You are also correct that it may take longer than two to three years for the Orioles to be good again.

One thing is for sure, they have been awful for over a year now,

Yea,   who knows if Villar will prove as valuable, but he kind of reminds me of the Melvin Mora acquisition years ago.  Melvin was actually in the deal because the Orioles needed someone to play SS at the time.  The Orioles clearly needed an infielder this year to help them get through this year and probably next.   In Melvin's case, we got far more than a filler.  Hopefully Villar proves to be the same.  

@mikeghg

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:01 PM

Can easily sign these stop gaps at cheap deals rather than getting them back in trades. Still firmly against it. I'm yet to see an argument to change my mind. It is what it is. To each their own.

#18 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:02 PM

I hope Villar can recapture 2016, but then I hoped the same thing about Davis and Tillman.

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

Yea,   who knows if Villar will prove as valuable, but he kind of reminds me of the Melvin Mora acquisition years ago.  Melvin was actually in the deal because the Orioles needed someone to play SS at the time.  The Orioles clearly needed an infielder this year to help them get through this year and probably next.   In Melvin's case, we got far more than a filler.  Hopefully Villar proves to be the same.  

Interesting comp. They were both 27 when they were acquired, but Mora had much less experience. I don't see any evidence that Villar has that type of hit tool though.

#20 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:21 PM

I don't think Villar was a substitute for good prospect value at all. I think he was likely close to a throw in. So I see no reason to be up in arms over it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=