#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

Núñez, 24, is batting .289/.361/.443 in 565 games with the Tides, including 14 doubles, a triple, five home runs and 25 RBIs.

Can that possibly be correct? 25 RBIs in 565 games?

#3 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

56 games.

@fuzydunlop

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:05 PM

56 games.

Well that makes a bit more sense! I went back and made sure I didn't copy the text incorrectly and somehow added a 5 in front but nope that's what the MASN article said. Hope they aren't paying their proof readers much....lol

#5 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:09 PM

Any thoughts on Renato Nunez?

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:48 PM

Does he have options? I’m guessing not but could be useful as a yo-yo up and down as needed. Not very impressed but could keep the seat warm until Mountcastle is ready I guess.

#7 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:30 AM

Does he have options? I’m guessing not but could be useful as a yo-yo up and down as needed. Not very impressed but could keep the seat warm until Mountcastle is ready I guess.

Yup.  A placeholder to play 3B until we try to start winning again.

• BobPhelan likes this

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:14 AM

Does he have options? I’m guessing not but could be useful as a yo-yo up and down as needed.

He's out of options.  Still possible he passes through waivers and could be sent down if needed.  I mean, if he can't make it on next year's Orioles 25-man roster, who else would want him?

• BobPhelan likes this

#9 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:09 AM

Any thoughts on Renato Nunez?

Yes, thoroughly unimpressed or meh. He made an improvement with his footwork, but I’m not impressed with his bat either. He’s easily beat by even an average CU.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

Ive seen enough to give him ABs next year. This organization can afford to do it right now. Probably nothing but this organization didnt stay with guys like Bautista and Justin Turner long enough. They can afford to take a longer look at Nunez

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:42 AM

Ive seen enough to give him ABs next year. This organization can afford to do it right now. Probably nothing but this organization didnt stay with guys like Bautista and Justin Turner long enough. They can afford to take a longer look at Nunez

Bautista had 5 seasons, 4 organizations, and 2000 major league PAs after leaving Baltimore before he broke out (94 OPS+ during that time). Turner had 3 seasons, 2 organizations, and 900 PA before he broke out (96 OPS+ during that time).

I get and agree with your point that they might as well let Nunez play quite a bit next year, but I don't think either Bautista or Turner are great examples of guys we gave up too early on. Jayson Werth as well for that matter (traded after 2000, half a good season in '04 but otherwise nothing until he became real good in '07). Plenty of time between when we gave up on them and when they actually became something.

#12 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, I agree with nickle. Enough there to interest me. See no reason why he shouldn't play 3rd next year until Mountcastle is ready. I think he could potentially transition to second as well (or a utility role). Seems to have issues with his footwork and throws at times, but he generally appears to have the skills at third with a good arm. Good power/gap power with a decent approach. Agree with Jon he's having problem with good breaking balls. Maybe an average third baseman with a chance to be a bit more. 

#13 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:55 AM

Nice play last night falling to his knees on a sharply hit ball to his left, holding the runner at 3B and throwing still on his knees to get the out at 1B.

#14 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:56 AM

OPS up to 731. 760 OPS since being with the Orioles. 

#15 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:58 AM

OPS up to 731. 760 OPS since being with the Orioles. 

This is the kind of player DD used to hit gold on back in 2012-2014.  Nunez has deserved another look in 2019 to be the regular third baseman.  

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:23 AM

Seems streaky with the bat, but nothing wrong with that if the overall numbers are satisfactory.  He's the everyday 3B in 2019, IMO.  At least until Mountcastle comes up if they continue trying him as a 3B.

#17 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 07:40 AM

Seems streaky with the bat, but nothing wrong with that if the overall numbers are satisfactory.  He's the everyday 3B in 2019, IMO.  At least until Mountcastle comes up if they continue trying him as a 3B.

I think Mountcastle is a second baseman or a LF because of his arm.  May even have to move to first base.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:02 AM

I think Mountcastle is a second baseman or a LF because of his arm.  May even have to move to first base.

Absolutely possible.  Might as well give him as much time as we can to see if he can improve, but a move to a lower demand position seems likely based on everything said about him for years.  I also think 2B, 3B, or LF is a likely destination for Sisco.

Mountcastle's bat projects to be about to play even at 1B, though obviously would be more of an asset at 2B/3B/LF.  Sisco's bat should play enough at 2B/3B/LF to be an everyday regular (obviously not the asset it'd be if he can manage to stick behind the plate), but I don't think he'll hit enough to be of much value as a 1B.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:14 AM

Mountcastle was said to improve at 3rd during the year.

Obviously his bat is what is going to keep him in the Majors, but curious to see what reviews he is getting at 3rd next Spring.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:00 AM

It'd be criminally stupid to jump Mountcastle from AA to the majors to begin next season, so Nunez is safe as the guy for at least the beginning of April.

If Mountcastle has a good camp and strong first few weeks at Norfolk, you can consider bringing him up at the end of April.  But I think it would be far wiser to give him at least 2-3 months at  Norfolk to see how he handles the better pitching there and to see if he can work on his plate discipline, he's pretty similar to Austin Hays in that he rarely draws walks (actually walks less than Hays if you can believe that).  If he can handle 3B defensively, the bat should almost certainly play up, but still room for improvement on both sides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=