329 replies to this topic

#321 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 06:33 AM

This is one of the worst trades in Orioles history. Even with Kremer still being around and having real potential and acknowledging Manny was a rental. HOF player traded at 26 for maybe 1 solid SP. Maybe. Said it before and will say it again, DD did this organization dirty at the end of his tenure and I think it was on purpose.

So its all on DD?

Nobody else in MLB knew the Orioles were not resigning Manny to another deal. 2 month rental.

I think most of the blame goes to ownership.

#322 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 November 2022 - 09:01 AM

I dont think he tried to max out the returns. That was his job at the time. Maybe it wasnt sabotage but he didnt do his job and I dont believe he gave a crap at that point. I disagree about an extension. I think he knew his time was up

All of this is out of context with what was happening at the time.

People don't like the word 'sabotage' but I'd argue he was doing things in 2014 he thought would make his life better when he went to Toronto.....like Hardy's oddly timed contract and Vlad Jr.  If you think you're going to Toronto (having conversations to get there), you don't build up the team you are leaving in your Division.

In 2015, he just didn't seem to care and was doing stupid stuff, like giving away a draft pick for a guy he just signed.

John was out in 2014 and used the issues of loyalty to get back into the FO.  You see the challenges and the power struggle with John coming back, Buck being Buck and Brady trying to work his way to the top culminating the train wreck of 2018 season.

DD was neutered in terms of his relevance.  In 2018 there was actually a report that other teams were questioning 'who was in charge' with Brady (and Lou and John) being super involved in everything.  DD may have completed the transaction (in terms of signing paperwork) and he was probably in the room, but he wasn't making the decisions.  By that point, he realized he needed to play nice if he wanted a job...because there was a risk at that point he was going back to his Baseball Academy.

#323 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 09:15 AM

2015 was an ALCS visit? So I have trouble with the 2014 sabotage comment.

I think once Toronto came kicking the tires on DD. Angelos got his feathers ruffled and lost all faith in DD.

#324 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 November 2022 - 10:16 AM

2015 was an ALCS visit? So I have trouble with the 2014 sabotage comment.

I am comfortable doing this as much as anyone wants.  We can go back nad look at the threads at the time.

Orioles made the playoffs in 2012, 2014, and 2016.

Use whatever label you want, but DD certainly had been contacted about interest before we publicly knew.

1) everyone at the time noted the oddity of extending Hardy before the ALCS..  That's dramatically out of line with the things MLB typically expects.  There was no rush....but if DD knows MM wants to play SS and he's leaving after the Orioles lose (whenever that is), he wants to make sure that Hardy is extended so he doesn't have to risk MM getting comfortable n Baltimore at SS and then dealing with MM in BAL for the next 10+ years.

2) The Orioles had more connection to Vlad Jr (Fred F, Vlad Sr a year in BAL, etc) and if BAL was going to make one IFA play, that would have been the easiest one.  That happened J2in 2014 (go back and look, I talked about it here) and Vlad was the #1 IFA cat and signed for a fairly modest (I think 3.1M?...I'd have to go back and check) amount.  If the Orioles don't get him, that's fine, there's a bunch of active IFA teams that have relationships, etc.  Blue Jays were not big FA players back then.  When the Blue Jays get Vlad Jr. and in July and DD looks like he's going to Toronto 3 months later.....something is up there.

#325 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 10:21 AM

I've said it before, but if the O's had just hired Geroge Constanza in the 2014 offseason to do the opposite of every Duquette move, the team would have been way, way better off.

#326 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 10:32 AM

I am comfortable doing this as much as anyone wants.  We can go back nad look at the threads at the time.

Orioles made the playoffs in 2012, 2014, and 2016.

Use whatever label you want, but DD certainly had been contacted about interest before we publicly knew.

1) everyone at the time noted the oddity of extending Hardy before the ALCS..  That's dramatically out of line with the things MLB typically expects.  There was no rush....but if DD knows MM wants to play SS and he's leaving after the Orioles lose (whenever that is), he wants to make sure that Hardy is extended so he doesn't have to risk MM getting comfortable n Baltimore at SS and then dealing with MM in BAL for the next 10+ years.

2) The Orioles had more connection to Vlad Jr (Fred F, Vlad Sr a year in BAL, etc) and if BAL was going to make one IFA play, that would have been the easiest one.  That happened J2in 2014 (go back and look, I talked about it here) and Vlad was the #1 IFA cat and signed for a fairly modest (I think 3.1M?...I'd have to go back and check) amount.  If the Orioles don't get him, that's fine, there's a bunch of active IFA teams that have relationships, etc.  Blue Jays were not big FA players back then.  When the Blue Jays get Vlad Jr. and in July and DD looks like he's going to Toronto 3 months later.....something is up there.

The problem with some of this. DD wanted Manny here. Ownership didnt.

Here is a BR that pretty much provides their opinion on resigning Hardy was the right move.

https://bleacherrepo...eat-move-for-os

I respect your right to your opinion, and so far, I havent read anything conclusive to change my own opinion.

The other thing here, not sure, how far along the DD trade with Toronto got until Peter nixed it.

Sure Toronto kicked the tires and through an offer out there.  I dont believe the Orioles tried to counter.

#327 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 November 2022 - 11:59 AM

The problem with some of this. DD wanted Manny here. Ownership didnt.

DD doesn't want Manny in Baltimore if he's the President of the Blue Jays.  Managers and GMs have short lives (typically) in one location.  Presidents are hoping to stick around a while.

I'm not sure what you think that article proves.  it actually points the strangeness adn doesn't even hit the timing.  Zach Ball is just trying to justify the Orioles move (ie, write an article seeing the justification).

The consequence of that deal is Manny wouldn't be able to play SS.  I love Hardy, but I'd be more interested in getting extra years out of MM and if SS is part of his desire, they you do that.  Hardy extension prevents it.  Manny isn't playing 3B in SD because that was his goal, he's there because they were the only team offering him 300M.

#328 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 November 2022 - 12:11 PM

Does anyone believe the Blue Jays "started kicking the tires" on DD after the Orioles lost to the Royals?

#329 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 12:44 PM

Does anyone believe the Blue Jays "started kicking the tires" on DD after the Orioles lost to the Royals?

I dont think any of us will really know one way or the other.

BR had this to say:

A deal between the American League East rivals was at no point close, and it appears a saga that’s lingered since word first leaked on the eve of the winter meetings in December is at last over.

#330 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 February 2023 - 11:58 PM

He’s back with the Dodgers organization on a MiL deal w/camp invite.

https://www.mlbtrade...ague-deals.html

• dude likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=