6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

Anyone have their B.A. in it? Know someone who does? Are you/they actually usIng it in the sports job field?

I ask because I’m going to pursue my Bachelors degree. Have one class left to get my A.A. in business management. See that Towson offers that a major and I think if I’m going to be in the business field, it has to be in something I’m passionate about.

Worried that it’s a tough field to break into. Maybe doesn’t pay because the perk is being employed by a team and the things that come with that. But I want to major in something that interests me.

Wife is worried about the same, and our future. Doesn’t want me to major in something that will get me entry level jobs meant for 21 year olds who they can pay like crap. Rather I major in something related to things I’ve done. Fire science for example. End up n a nice stable government job. I just don’t want to.

Curious if anyone has any experience, or known anyone that has.
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

You and The Missus have good questions, and I have zero answers to any of them.

I'd think the thing to do is whatever is required to find out what kind of jobs people with that degree actually have.  Probably the alumni outfit at whatever college offers that kind of degree could help re: what their own grads are doing... it they don't know, they could find out... if they're good, they'll know before you ask them... also, the faculty who teach in that specialty should know more than all of us do put together, you could nose around and find a couple of them to talk to... plus, these days most colleges have people who's job is to make the place look good... if it was me, I'd find out how good they can make it sound re: actual results...

My completely-wild-ass, based-on-nothing hunch is that you could maybe get a job at a non-headline college... but don't trust me about that, I just made it up...    :wink:

• Mike in STL likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:41 PM

Rob has the degree (from Towson). I took plenty of classes (both at Towson, and a school in Tampa).

At a lot of schools, it was initially more Kneisology based... relatively quickly it became more Business centric.

Most of what you have with your AA in Business Management would be the pre recs you'd need.
The 'advance' classes are just more specific to sports... Sports Marketing, etc...

What you learn are classes which could be applicable to lots of different industries.... but those industries won't look at it that way.

Your wife is right in how it will be viewed.

Might as well finish with a Business Degree... which coupled with your preexisting professional experience will have more doors open for you when you graduate.

(I'm also quite sure the specific classes are better than they were 15 years go. Programs are now 20-25 years on...  when we we're at Towson, there were some really joke / poor classes.  My understanding is things are much better / professional now.)

• Mike in STL likes this

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

As someone in the sports industry, I personally wouldn’t recommend “majoring” in sports management. I just feel a more general business degree would be more beneficial longer term (which I did) because it doesn’t pigeon-hole you into a specific field. Not that any degree limits you anywhere really, but that’s just my opinion.

And yes, most jobs in sports don’t pay much. Happy to discuss further or answer any questions, let me know.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

It’s worthless.

When I took the program at Towson, it was garbage. Had many classes where I knew more than the teacher (actually, many of us had more knowledge than some of the teachers).

It should be a good program. There is a lot you can do with it and I’m sure it’s improved over time but I would focus on business.

• JeremyStrain and Mike in STL like this

#6 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

You mentioned fire science - I think I'd give some serious thought to whether there are any careers where your experience as a firefighter would be a plus, and then consider those majors (assuming there are any of those careers that you wouldn't find soul-sucking).

• BSLChrisStoner, RShack and Mike in STL like this

#7 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:21 PM

It’s worthless.

When I took the program at Towson, it was garbage. Had many classes where I knew more than the teacher (actually, many of us had more knowledge than some of the teachers).

It should be a good program. There is a lot you can do with it and I’m sure it’s improved over time but I would focus on business.

Not sure what you mean... you start out saying it's "worthless"... but later you say you're sure it's better than it was...  

How do you know what it is now?  Maybe it's worthless, maybe it's not... beats me... but I'm not sure you're in a position to know either... are you?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=