#161 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 March 2023 - 06:53 PM

Abby Meyers stepping up big time with Diamond Miller in foul trouble.
@BSLZackKiesel

#162 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 March 2023 - 06:59 PM

38-30 South Carolina at halftime. Maryland within striking distance, need a fast start from Miller and Sellers when they get back into the game next half.
@BSLZackKiesel

#163 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 March 2023 - 07:38 PM

South Carolina hasn’t allowed an NCAA Tournament opponent to score more than 45 points in a game. Maryland has done that in less than three quarters. Unfortunately, not sure it’ll be enough.
@BSLZackKiesel

#164 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 07:40 PM

Terps are slowly falling further and further behind. They're also getting creamed on the boards.

#165 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 March 2023 - 07:47 PM

Not that it’ll end up being a deciding factor, but damn these refs have been awful tonight.
@BSLZackKiesel

#166 BSLMiltonKent

BSLMiltonKent

Sports Media Analyst

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 07:24 PM

For the Maryland women’s basketball team to get to the Final Four, they had to have things go dramatically differently in Monday’s regional final than they did in the first meeting this season against South Carolina, when they lost by 25. 

And while the scene shifted to Greenville, S.C. and the Terps got a game-high 24 points from Diamond Miller, who didn’t play in November, they didn’t change enough of the landscape to change the outcome. 

The result: an 86-75 South Carolina win and the end to one of the most tumultuous and intriguing Maryland seasons in recent years. 

The Terps (28-7) lost four starters and three reserves from last year’s team, via either graduation or transfer. They started the year with nine new players on the roster and were predicted to finish fourth in the Big Ten as well as being ranked No. 17. 

They finished the year tied for second in the Big Ten, with a first ever win over Connecticut and having hung the last loss on Iowa, which will meet South Carolina (36-0) in the Final Four Friday. 

“The biggest thing is nobody could have seen this team last season when we had to rebuild it go and do what they were able to do this season,” said Maryland coach Brenda Frese. “Just incredibly proud of this team and for leaving it out there for the 40 minutes. 

The Terps needed just about everything to go right Monday to have a chance to counter South Carolina’s considerable size advantage.  

And for the first quarter, Maryland got what it wanted, as they spread the Gamecocks out defensively, converting easy layups and backdoor cuts to take a 21-15 lead into the second quarter. 

“I thought you saw the mentality to come out and punch first,” said Maryland coach Brenda Frese. “I loved our first quarter. I thought we were really confident. We had South Carolina on the back of their heels, really having to adjust to our style of play.” 

However, the Terps, who fell into second quarter lulls against Arizona and Notre Dame in their two previous NCAA tournament games, hit a dry spell, going nearly four minutes without a score. 

Meanwhile, the Gamecocks methodically took control, taking advantage of their size and Maryland’s foul trouble to take the lead for good on a jumper from Zia Cooke in the lane with four minutes to go in the half. 

From there, South Carolina closed the quarter on a 12-5 run, with Cooke, a senior, posting seven points of her 18 points in the spurt. 

“I thought the game was lost in the second quarter,” said Frese. “The foul trouble, the amount of times throughout the game that they were in the bonus really impacted our play. But you can see their size, their length, their depth wears you out as the game continues on.” 

The Gamecocks outrebounded Maryland 48-26 overall and outscored the Terps 23-9 in second chance points. Forward Aliyah Boston, the reigning national player of the year, had 22 points and 10 rebounds, 

In addition, South Carolina went to the line 26 times, while Maryland took just 15 free throws, as two Terps (Abby Meyers and Faith Masonius) fouled out and Miller and Shyanne Sellers spent chunks of the first half in foul trouble. 

“At the end of the day, I can't dwell on what the refs call,” said Miller. “I'm not going to say the refs lost us the game. That's not what I'm saying by any means. I mean, they out-rebounded us as we kind of expected, let's be honest. But they out-rebounded us, and they got more second-chance points. And it was our second quarter. They beat us 23-9. 9 points in one quarter is tough to come back from.” 

Miller, who shared a long hug with Frese as she left the game, is widely expected to forgo her fifth year of eligibility to enter next month’s WNBA draft where she is predicted to go in the top four.  

Still, Miller, a second-team All America, hinted that she had “a lot of decisions to make this offseason. Should be fun.” Assuming Miller does go, the Terps will also lose Meyers, a Princeton transfer who was the Ivy League Player of the Year last year and point guard Elisa Pinzan, who transferred from South Florida.  

Meanwhile, Sellers, who had 11 points and a game-high six assists, should headline a roster that includes a recruiting class that was ranked seventh overall by ESPN. 

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, Mashed Potatoes and 1 other like this

#167 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:42 AM

Diamond Miller has officially declared for the WNBA Draft.
@BSLZackKiesel

#168 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,277 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:25 PM

Watched the LSU-VT game tonight. Can only help but wonder how the Lady Terps might have done if Angel Reese had stuck around. But I saw where she made $400,000 this year in NIL. Can't say no to that. Now have to hope her brother doesn't decide to go down there for similar riches.

#169 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:45 PM

Iowa is on the verge of a major upset against South Carolina.

All No. 1's on the women's side are gone as well as Iowa upset top-seeded and defending champion South Carolina. What a game! I admittedly don't know much about the women's game, but I caught a little in the car and tuned in the fourth quarter when I got home.

Caitin Clark of Iowa can flat-out play. She torched South Carolina for 41 points, six rebounds and nine assists. She also sank four crucial free throws in the final minute when the Gamecocks were forced to foul. Not bad. As a team, the Hawkeyes were 14-for-14 from the line. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you can't make free throws, you'll lose games like this.

#170 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,289 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 07:09 PM

Not to get the thread too far off topic but IMO if you want to see the impact of NIL on the Maryland atheltic department and lack of funds look at the womens team. They are probably going to miss the tourny for only the 2nd time in 20 years this year. The talent Freese had consistently brought in for years hasnt been the same the last hew years. They overachieved and made the Elite 8 last year but they had a lot of departures. This year has been a continuation on lack of talent and I suspect it will only continue

#171 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 March 2024 - 04:27 PM

Maryland knocked off Ohio State today. The Buckeyes were the Big Ten Tournament’s #1 seed. Brenda’s team needed a good run to ensure an NCAA Tournament berth, and they’re doing just that.
@BSLZackKiesel

#172 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 12:41 AM

Not to get the thread too far off topic but IMO if you want to see the impact of NIL on the Maryland atheltic department and lack of funds look at the womens team. They are probably going to miss the tourny for only the 2nd time in 20 years this year. The talent Freese had consistently brought in for years hasnt been the same the last hew years. They overachieved and made the Elite 8 last year but they had a lot of departures. This year has been a continuation on lack of talent and I suspect it will only continue

I didn't realize until I heard it today that the Maryland women's team doesn't have one NIL player on its current roster. 

#173 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,289 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 09:03 AM

I didn't realize until I heard it today that the Maryland women's team doesn't have one NIL player on its current roster.

I didnt know that either but its not surprising. Freese knows how to recruit and from everything Ive heard shes a players coach. Figured NIL had to be playing a role in the number of transfers and the dip in recruiting.

#174 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,135 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 09:10 AM

How many women's recruits are really banking big on the NIL? Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese?

#175 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,289 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 09:15 AM

How many women's recruits are really banking big on the NIL? Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese?

Define big. Im willing to bet female athletes are making more money than most people realize. At least at big budget AD schools.

#176 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,135 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 09:21 AM

Actually, come to think of it, if they're taking social media into account maybe they are on par with the male athletes. If you're pushing a product these female athletes probably have far greater reach on IG, TIKTOK, FB than the male athletes.

#177 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,711 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:38 PM

Region 4 in Portland... 10 seed vs. 7 Iowa State. 

#178 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:48 PM

Lowest seed for Maryland since 2005, but their 14th straight NCAA Tournament berth.
@BSLZackKiesel

#179 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 March 2024 - 09:10 AM

Game will take place on Friday at 7:30 PM ET.

@BSLZackKiesel

#180 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 March 2024 - 09:03 PM

Maryland falls to Iowa State, 93-86.
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic