The Dark Flame in Men: Breaking Down Episode 9 of ‘Succession’

#84 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 11:10 AM

Awesome episode. Cannot wait for the finale.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#85 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:18 AM

Spoilers here.... stop reading if I'm going to spoil anything for you. 

So, Tom was always there and it seemed plausible at times; but given Lukas' general disdain of him in every previous interaction - I wasn't seeing it. Still, it seemed realistic enough after their dinner.  Obviously Lukas didn't want someone with their own ideas, he wanted someone willing to take and carry out orders. 

Tom gets the title, but does he win? He reports to Lukas, etc...  his shelf life figures to be short. 

Shiv's initial reaction to learning it's Tom is a visceral disgust / betrayal; but she goes from that to voting for Team Lukas... presumably she did the math, and decided being pregnant with Tom's kid, and Tom being CEO is a better place for her than placing her chips behind Kendall.  Also, while betrayed by Lukas, she probably feels that she can still maneuver more there than anything with Kendall.

She (and Kendall, and Roman) all get the payday.  Her money giving her some semblance of balance with Tom.

Kendall 'loses' but he gets a huge payday.  Nice consolation. He says he's built as a cog for this operation only... but with some distance, that might not be true.    Again, he's shown with water multiple times. 

Thought Greg actually pulled an intelligent move with the translator...  he took his shot.  While Lukas will never / like trust, he can continue to be Tom's dog. 

Hard to imagine Roman ever doing anything. 

I was hoping for more Gerri.  Understand why it didn't happen.

Never was clear to me what happened, or was planned with PGM.  

When it was the original plan, the kids need the Gojo sale to have the funds for their agreed purchase of PGM
Kendall and Roman of course attempt to tank the Gojo deal, and want to continue to run Waystar...  but the contingent deal with PGM is just left out there, right? 

I mean, hard to imagine Kendall and Shiv ever having a remaining relationship, and clearly the 3 of them are not going through with the purchase together...  but PGM should be available, right?

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:45 AM

The Ringer: The ‘Succession’ Series Finale Power Rankings: The Only Hellhole in Paradise

https://www.theringe...-roy-shiv-roman

#87 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:59 AM

Spoiler Alert.

I thought this was an excellent finale and final season in general. I didn't have some of the issues or questions that Chris had though as I actually thought the favorite to become CEO was Tom. I thought that because Shiv was miscasting herself as the puppet American CEO that the presumptive new extreme right-wing president would be cool with. Meanwhile Tom was the person that actually made sense for that for the very reasons Shiv unwittingly or perhaps subconsciously told the decision maker. Beyond that, the kids seemed too damaged in various ways and unlikely to align for any of them to become CEO in a Roy led effort that we almost saw come to fruition.

#88 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:09 AM

Spoiler Alert.

. I thought that because Shiv was miscasting herself as the puppet American CEO that the presumptive new extreme right-wing president would be cool with. Meanwhile Tom was the person that actually made sense for that for the very reasons Shiv unwittingly or perhaps subconsciously told the decision maker. 

Agree with all of this if the only choice of Lukas is someone on the board, which I guess makes sense for TV.

In-general, once Tom again made clear that he was comfortable taking orders, and had no need to supply ideas of his own... get the appeal for Lukas.  Obviously never saw Shiv making much sense, at-least once Lukas the other needed board votes.

#89 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:47 PM

Welcome to the tv Mount Rushmore Sucession.

#90 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 02:17 PM

Finally watching this show.  I did not really enjoy season 1, but starting with that finale it was getting better.  Once I hit the episode with the panic rooms in season 2, it's been straight fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=