#541 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:11 PM

I’ll admit I was/am a little punchy tonight because I went to the game and was all excited and this jerk ruined it.

Alas — it’s a long season.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#542 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:53 PM

Can we do this for the stuff you say too? 

Or is that somehow not allowed?

Ill happily call myself out if I remember. If I dont then sure but just get it straight. DOnt be all like he loved Adam Frazier and thought he was gonna be an All Star for example. I dont jump off cliffs anymore though so hard to trap me on something egregious

#543 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:54 PM

Which team do you think Grayson will win his Cy Young with?

If it were a prop that IF Gray Rod were to win a Cy Young, would it be with Baltimore? It’d probably be something like yes +2500, no -3500. Maybe even longer.

At this rate we may end up getting that 7th year. It will come in handy. Wait and see.

#544 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:58 PM

I’ll admit I was/am a little punchy tonight because I went to the game and was all excited and this jerk ruined it.

Alas — it’s a long season.

As I said the frustration is understandable. I dont even mind saying this guy is bad right now. Its the extra stuff that  IMO is too far.

#545 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:39 PM

https://www.facebook...mibextid=Nif5oz

#546 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:08 PM

Use this total bust as a trade chip at the deadline. Trick some team. I’ve had enough.

@bopper33

#547 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:17 PM

Use this total bust as a trade chip at the deadline. Trick some team. I’ve had enough.

How much serious vs irritated?

I think about Arrieta and Gausman.
You can see the ability, and my expectation is he will put it together at some point...but the implosions right now are tough.

I said before the season I expected a league average 5th starter who occasionally flashed this year. I'd take that right now.

7.35 era after the 8er tonight.

#548 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:19 PM

How much serious vs irritated?

I think about Arrieta and Gausman.
You can see the ability, and my expectation is he will put it together at some point...but the implosions right now are tough.

I said before the season I expected a league average 5th starter who occasionally flashed this year. I'd take that right now.

7.35 era after the 8er tonight.

You’re level headed. And an unbridled optimist. I commend that.

My management style is different.

I don’t want him throwing another pitch for us ever again.

@bopper33

#549 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:37 PM

Simply fascinating how you can be so good at AAA and just get torched in MLB. The FB plays but the change is inconsistent at best and no breaking ball.

#550 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 07:52 AM

I didn't see any of the game yesterday but I'm fine with optioning him for a bit. Irvin has little upside but he shouldn't blow games either. Let Rodriguez work out some kinks and get back here in July.
  • makoman likes this

#551 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 08:29 AM

I didn’t watch last night either, thankfully. Irvin seems to have fixed his control issues from the start of the year. If you can get something near league average in that spot it’s a big improvement, I’m good with a swap. Bonus: you get the extra year now if it ends up mattering. It still may, despite the extreme (mostly warranted) pessimism.

#552 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 May 2023 - 08:36 AM

Go look at the Ks he does get. Most of them are on pitches quite high out of the strike zone Which is fine. But teams have enough tape on him that they KNOW hes going to groove a pitch down the middle of the plate every at bat. If they don't swing at the high stuff they just crush him.

Last 5 starts:

11 home runs and Mullins save one last night.

His best outing was 5.2 innings. Sure he allowed just 2 runs but he gave up 7 hits and 2 walks. Houdini act there.

In 3 of those starts he allowed 22 earned runs. Are you kidding me?

His WHIP in those 5 starts is 2. That and the HR numbers are the telling data points. That doesn't work at the MLB level even if you do K a batter an inning.

By all accounts he's a great kid and hard worker. Super but this is his job and he's not even close to getting it done at an acceptable rate even for a rookie. 

#553 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 May 2023 - 10:02 AM

Optioned https://twitter.com/...473848745328642

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

she/her

#554 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 May 2023 - 12:07 PM

I didn’t watch last night either, thankfully. Irvin seems to have fixed his control issues from the start of the year. If you can get something near league average in that spot it’s a big improvement, I’m good with a swap. Bonus: you get the extra year now if it ends up mattering. It still may, despite the extreme (mostly warranted) pessimism.

I’m not sure the extreme pessimism is warranted, but I get it. He was the #1 RHP prospect in the game. I’m not making any real evaluation after just 10 starts. I’m 100% down with the demotion though and great point about the extra year. Still very much believe he will play a small role at worst in this whole thing we’ve got going on here.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#555 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 May 2023 - 12:14 PM

I’m not sure the extreme pessimism is warranted, but I get it. He was the #1 RHP prospect in the game. I’m not making any real evaluation after just 10 starts. I’m 100% down with the demotion though and great point about the extra year. Still very much believe he will play a small role at worst in this whole thing we’ve got going on here.

Totally agree. But the real question is if that role helps or hurts our chances!

#556 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 May 2023 - 08:50 AM

It is not but that is what some seem to enjoy.

Grayson will be back and he will be good.  

• BobPhelan, DuffMan and dude like this
@mikeghg

#557 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 09:00 AM

No you dont get the extreme pessimism. Some of the stuff said is not right. It goes beyond fanaticism.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#558 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:31 AM

Like Hyde and many other coaches have told him, he needs to better command his fastball (be able to place it where he wants to), and if he can't do that then.....

He's not the only elite pitching prospect that has control issues and is learning to better pitch at the MLB level (Hunter Greene and Lodolo w/ Cincy, Pfaadt w/ D-Bags, even Kirby w/ M's has issues at times, Cabrera w/ Marlins).  So, I am not that worried about him right now.

#559 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:40 AM

Like Hyde and many other coaches have told him, he needs to better command his fastball (be able to place it where he wants to), and if he can't do that then.....

He's not the only elite pitching prospect that has control issues and is learning to better pitch at the MLB level (Hunter Greene and Lodolo w/ Cincy, Pfaadt w/ D-Bags, even Kirby w/ M's has issues at times, Cabrera w/ Marlins). So, I am not that worried about him right now.

Even Kopech is turning it around here of late for the White Sox.

#560 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:29 PM

just for the record, I'm not concerned about him.  He's got great raw stuff, he'll figure it out, but we aren't going to live month to month using options.  

This is why you do development.  He's not earning (performance) a full-year this year, so you move onto other options for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=