#21 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:42 PM

It's really close to me between 3 players: Kareem, Jordan, and LeBron. Each of their arguments are rather different, but each are also compelling.

I'll stick with MJ for now, but I think it's pretty close. If James didn't choke in the 2011 Finals, I think he'd actually be my answer.

He had a good chance at further adding to his argument this postseason, but obviously that may not happen. The MVP caliber regular season helps nonetheless.

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 April 2020 - 04:39 PM

It's really close to me between 3 players: Kareem, Jordan, and LeBron. Each of their arguments are rather different, but each are also compelling.

I'll stick with MJ for now, but I think it's pretty close. If James didn't choke in the 2011 Finals, I think he'd actually be my answer.

He had a good chance at further adding to his argument this postseason, but obviously that may not happen. The MVP caliber regular season helps nonetheless.

There were a lot of great players before Kareem.

@mikeghg

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 04:54 PM

There were a lot of great players before Kareem.

Of course. I don't think any are in the top 3 ever, though. I don't think that's much of an insult to the first couple decades of the NBA either.

Of players that primarily played prior to the 70s, I think Russell and Wilt are top 10 guys ever. Oscar and West deserve consideration.

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 11:54 AM

ESPN: Big questions
https://www.espn.com...st-players-ever

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

Of course. I don't think any are in the top 3 ever, though. I don't think that's much of an insult to the first couple decades of the NBA either.

Of players that primarily played prior to the 70s, I think Russell and Wilt are top 10 guys ever. Oscar and West deserve consideration.

The game was different, more of a team game back in the day.

I was very young, but spent as lot of time watching Bullet games at the Civic Center, but guys like Oscar, Dr J, Connie Hawkins West, Baylor and many others would have excelled in today's one on one, games.

Plus, they would have been physically sounder, had better shoes, plus travel.   Oscar Robertson IMO, would have dominated much like Lebron with today's benefits.

@mikeghg

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:18 PM

I prefer to compare players within their era's, but if you brought those guys to the present day they'd generally be at an athletic and skill disadvantage.

In terms of athleticism, guys like Wilt and Russell would still be great athletes now, but the primary difference would be their relative athleticism (plus size) compared to the rest of the league wouldn't be as great.

With skills, players handles were not nearly as good back then, especially with the off hand. Outside shooting would be an issue for many too since that wasn't nearly as prevalent back then with the lack of the 3.

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:28 PM

I prefer to compare players within their era's, but if you brought those guys to the present day they'd generally be at an athletic and skill disadvantage.

In terms of athleticism, guys like Wilt and Russell would still be great athletes now, but the primary difference would be their relative athleticism (plus size) compared to the rest of the league wouldn't be as great.

With skills, players handles were not nearly as good back then, especially with the off hand. Outside shooting would be an issue for many too since that wasn't nearly as prevalent back then with the lack of the 3.

Not going to be able to agree.  The work out regimens, diets etc that today guys do make a large difference.  

The handles are not nearly as good, because the rules were enforced back then.

IMO, the shooting,woul;d not have been a problem.No doubt in my mind, the players of yesterday, would have adapted.

@mikeghg

#28 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

Not going to be able to agree. The work out regimens, diets etc that today guys do make a large difference.

The handles are not nearly as good, because the rules were enforced back then.

IMO, the shooting,woul;d not have been a problem.No doubt in my mind, the players of yesterday, would have adapted.

I literally meant if they just showed up using a time machine, so they wouldn't have a whole lifetime or basically any time to develop as modern players do.

But if they get all these advantages of the modern day,yeah, maybe they're still elite. I don't know and it's just a big guessing game, which is part of why I prefer not to compare players from such drastically different era's in this way.

As for the handles, yes things were called differently back then, but those guys also flat out had inferior handles, especially with their off-hands.
  • Mike B likes this

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:37 PM

I literally meant if they just showed up using a time machine, so they wouldn't have a whole lifetime or basically any time to develop as modern players do.

But if they get all these advantages of the modern day,yeah, maybe they're still elite. I don't know and it's just a big guessing game, which is part of why I prefer not to compare players from such drastically different era's in this way.

As for the handles, yes things were called differently back then, but those guys also flat out had inferior handles, especially with their off-hands.

It is an interesting argument.

The game is so different.  I would like to see today's teams, not neccesarily players, play the game in a team concept.  It would be interesting to see how efficient todays teams could be.

@mikeghg

#30 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:04 PM

It is an interesting argument.
The game is so different. I would like to see today's teams, not neccesarily players, play the game in a team concept. It would be interesting to see how efficient todays teams could be.

I think this is overstated. Most offenses then and now relied on 1-3 guys to create much of their offense. However, now you have to respect almost everyone out there much more so than you did even when I was growing up in the 80's (part of that is both the importance placed on the 3 and the competency at shooting it). Team defense is also much better.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:43 PM

CBS Sports: Kevin Durant details why Michael Jordan would be 'the best player in the league' in today's NBA
https://www.cbssport...-in-todays-nba/

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:24 PM

CBS Sports: How 'The Last Dance' has changed the way we discuss Michael Jordan, LeBron James and other NBA legends
https://www.cbssport...er-nba-legends/

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:30 PM

ESPN: Ranking the top 74 NBA players of all time: Nos. 74-41
https://www.espn.com...s-all-nos-74-41

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:25 AM

Ray Allen and T-Mac stick out as being underrated among modern players in that 41-74 range.

Parrish and Worthy overrated IMO.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:29 AM

ESPN: Ranking the top 74 NBA players of all time: Nos. 40-11
https://www.espn.com...s-all-nos-40-11

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:32 AM

CBS Sports: Top 15 players in NBA history: CBS Sports ranks the greatest of all time, from West and Steph to LeBron and MJ
https://www.cbssport...-lebron-and-mj/

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:39 AM

For the 11-40 range:

Overrated: Iverson, Kawhi/Giannis (lacking longevity)

Underrated: CP3, Nash, Garnett

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:40 PM

Pippen 21 lololololol

List has zero credibility 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:46 PM

I have mentioned Ben Taylor and his GOAT series before, but if you just want to read an amazing breakdown of MJ the player, check out his profile: https://backpicks.co...michael-jordan/

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

Pippen 21 lololololol

List has zero credibility

Pippen was great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic