151 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:48 PM

@masnRoch 14m14 minutes ago

Cobb threw 4 innings and 48 pitches yesterday in extended spring. Won’t debut with #orioles before April 14. Wright starts Tuesday and Bundy Wednesday in Houston

@masnRoch 6m6 minutes ago

More Cobb: #orioles want him to go 5 and 6 innings before joining them, which is why won't debut before April 14. Will be at Bowie, but might not pitch for Baysox cause not allowed to use major league ball. Minors ball is different (higher stitches). Not great for elbow.

#2 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

How does the lack of rolled stitches on MiL balls hurt the elbow?  AFAIK, it just makes it easier to make pitches move.

I can see how a P might not want to mess with different baseballs... I just don't get the elbow factor...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

How does the lack of rolled stitches on MiL balls hurt the elbow?  AFAIK, it just makes it easier to make pitches move.

I can see how a P might not want to mess with different baseballs... I just don't get the elbow factor...

I don't know if there is a factor or not....   but going along with the idea that there is..... how are those balls used?

MLB teams have huge $ invested in those arms... why would they have their investments utilizing something which would make them more susceptible to injuries?

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:20 PM

Maybe because of the seam differences, how you throw breaking pitches is effected and that means more stress on the elbow? (Just a thought)

Btw, the idea that they are still using a different is fucking stupid. Instead of worrying about shaving 2 min off of game time, how about you focus on something simple like this?

#5 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

Maybe because of the seam differences, how you throw breaking pitches is effected and that means more stress on the elbow? (Just a thought)

Btw, the idea that they are still using a different is fucking stupid. Instead of worrying about shaving 2 min off of game time, how about you focus on something simple like this?

I don't really know anything about it, but I thought the high-seam balls were good for beginners because you could make the balls move without stressing the arm as much... the high seams give more aero effect...

I figure the owners mainly do it because they're cheap... just look at how they treat the MiL players....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:20 AM

MASN: Update on Cobb’s simulated game
http://www.masnsport...lated-game.html

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:10 AM

MASN: In Bowie, Alex Cobb talks about making his Orioles debut

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

Camden Depot: This Isn't The Alex Cobb The Orioles Hoped They Were Getting

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:35 AM

Camden Depot: This Isn't The Alex Cobb The Orioles Hoped They Were Getting

Who wrote this headline? Captain Obvious?

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,458 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

2-13
6.17 ERA
1.57 WHIP
17 HR
6.17 K/9

Think I read that of all eligible SP's, Cobb is the worst in the league.

Looks like we signed ourselves another Ubaldo, but worse.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#11 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

How many games can he lose even with the late start?

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:37 PM

2-13
6.17 ERA
1.57 WHIP
17 HR
6.17 K/9

Think I read that of all eligible SP's, Cobb is the worst in the league.

Looks like we signed ourselves another Ubaldo, but worse.

So, we have the worst hitter and the worst pitcher?

And you guys say we aren’t consistent!

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,458 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

So, we have the worst hitter and the worst pitcher?

And you guys say we aren’t consistent!

I think we've had the worst player in the big leagues for like 7 of the last 10 years.

And they get tons of ABs and IPs to boot.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

At this point, I'd be tempted to shut him down, and try again next year.

Was hoping to avoid that, and have him end the year doing something positive he could take into next season.... but maybe just not in the cards.

Definitely would have thought he would have found himself by now.

No matter what, you'll go into '19 with him not being able to expect anything... he'll have to prove it.

If he gets back just to his '17 levels, that'd be a big turnound.

#15 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

Wasn't impressed with him the end of last year with the Rays, was no-where near the guy I remembered pre-TJ surgery. Nice to think the splitter might come back for him .. it hasn't and I'm not optimistic it will. Hated the signing at the time (at least the contract and the draft pick) and hate it now. In the world of SP inconsistency it's not all that surprising. Hopefully he'll be better than mediocre these next few years. I think it's doubtful he'll have any future positive trade value imo.

I'm not discoung the late start and horrible defense this year on Cobb's
performance.

#16 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:18 AM

Definitely one of the most discouraging things about this season.

#17 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:08 PM

Definitely one of the most discouraging things about this season.

It really is, and I'm dumbfounded as to why his season has been this way. Sure, missing ST was a set back, but not a 4 month setback. I hope his 2019 season is more in line with his TB years.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

I thought there was a decent chance he'd get hurt, that's always been his problem.  And I thought there was some concern on the performance, but hoped he'd be good.  I never would've guessed his ERA would start with a 6.

His velocity hasn't dropped, which is one of the first things I look at when wondering why a guy who is usually good is getting knocked around.  A drop of velocity, even just 1/2 to 1 MPH, is a big red flag.  If Fangraphs is to be believed, he's actually throwing his fastball (very slightly) harder than ever before.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

I dont think Cobb is a lost cause. Very surprised by his season if only because he seems like a cerebral pitcher who could gut his way through performances and limit damage.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

Balt Sun: In building for future, Orioles pitcher Alex Cobb gaining confidence in split-change as payoff pitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=