SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

He shows more than Garcia ever did.

At this point, you keep him around since the season is over anyways.

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

He shows more than Garcia ever did.

At this point, you keep him around since the season is over anyways.

Agreed, keep him and see what happens.

There are plenty of guys they can clear out to make space.

@mikeghg

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,685 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

Pedro Araujo (elbow) threw off a mound earlier this week.
That would serve as an indication that Araujo might be close to returning to the Orioles' bullpen. The Rule 5 Draft pick has been on the disabled list since June 11 due to inflammation in his right elbow. Jul 3 - 5:40 PM

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,685 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:41 AM

Figures to be back in the Minors after the initial 17 games.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,685 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

@Orioles
The Orioles have designated RHP Pedro Araujo for assignment and selected the contract of RHP Matt Wotherspoon from Triple-A Norfolk. #BirdlandMLB_2019_Baltimore.png

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,368 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:47 PM

Need to do some digging, but I wonder if the 10 days spent in DFA limbo count as days on the roster, and that he'll be able to be optioned after the 10 days are up.

EDIT: 

Nope.  Now it's 7 days, so even if they do count, he won't be at 17.  So looks like they are releasing him or perhaps working out a deal to get his rights for something very minor.

#10 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:02 PM

It looks like he sucks so it doesn't really matter, but couldn't they have just activated him last year once the rosters expanded to 40?  Or are you not allowed to activate guys who are too injured to play?

#11 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:12 PM

His MiL numbers are very solid.

I don't know why you'd release him when you can send him down in a few days but I also don't know why you'd take a pitcher out who has a no hitter in the 7th inning.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,368 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:15 PM

It looks like he sucks so it doesn't really matter, but couldn't they have just activated him last year once the rosters expanded to 40?  Or are you not allowed to activate guys who are too injured to play?

Without being sure, I'm guessing they are not allowed to do that.  Certainly goes against the spirit of the rules if not the letter.  Also, Duquette and Buck had long shown a real good understanding of the loopholes in the MLB rules, so if they were able to complete his roster obligations by activating him even if he was unhealthy, I'm guessing they would have.

#13 Thirteen

Thirteen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

His MiL numbers are very solid.

I don't know why you'd release him when you can send him down in a few days but I also don't know why you'd take a pitcher out who has a no hitter in the 7th inning.

Let me finish that sentence for you....

I don't know why you'd release him when you can send him down in a few days but I also don't know why you'd take a pitcher out who has a no hitter in the 7th inning and put in Pedro Araujo.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,368 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:37 PM

If they are offering him back to  the Cubs, the only explanation that wouldn't be embarrassing for everyone involved in the decision is if he did something off-field that pissed them off.

Otherwise, it means that by the end of ST they felt that it was worth carrying him for 17 days in order to gain his full rights.  He then makes one appearance, and you have changed your evaluation of him so much based on that one appearance that it is no longer worth carrying him for 10 more days to gain his full rights.  He had a rough outing, for sure, but damn, he wasn't bad enough that it changes absolutely everything you thought you knew about him.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:07 PM

Can I get a refresher on the rule 5 rules? I know they have to stay on the 25 man (injury excepted) for the entire year after he’s drafted.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,368 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

Can I get a refresher on the rule 5 rules? I know they have to stay on the 25 man (injury excepted) for the entire year after he’s drafted.

He's gotta be active (not on the DL) for 90 days.  So if they have fewer than 90 days active during their one year on the MLB roster, the rules remain in place the following season and they aren't fully under team control until they reach those 90 days.

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

He's gotta be active (not on the DL) for 90 days. So if they have fewer than 90 days active during their one year on the MLB roster, the rules remain in place the following season and they aren't fully under team control until they reach those 90 days.

Hmmm so roughly 1/2 a season? For some reason I thought it was the entire season following the winter they were selected.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#18 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

@Orioles
The Orioles have designated RHP Pedro Araujo for assignment and selected the contract of RHP Matt Wotherspoon from Triple-A Norfolk. #BirdlandMLB_2019_Baltimore.png

I've always thought Reese Witherspoon was adorable.

@beginthebegin71

#19 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

Hmmm so roughly 1/2 a season? For some reason I thought it was the entire season following the winter they were selected.

A rule 5 pick is no good, too much overhead.  You got permits, weigh stations, tolls.  Look, you're way outta your league.

@fuzydunlop

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,368 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:03 PM

They have to be on the 25-man roster for the entire season.  They have to be active (not on DL), for a minimum of 90 days before their rights are fully acquired.  Araujo was on the roster all year last year, but on the DL for all but 73 days, so he had 17 days left to go before we get his rights and can send him down without having to offer him back to the Cubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=