HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:48 AM

MJ is second!

Which obviously leaves Kareem at first.

That's certainly understandable given the methodology here.

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

Idiot. Pedro, go in hard on this goof

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

Idiot. Pedro, go in hard on this goof

I'm guessing you haven't read the criteria or the profiles.

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

Here is his last post on this topic which sums up his thoughts on the whole project.  http://www.backpicks...-and-longevity/

Here is the conclusion to the post:

Looking back, this exercise highlighted both underrated careers (like Miller’s) and how absurdly valuable marathoners like Abdul-Jabbar and Malone were. It also demonstrated how painfully close many of these careers were; it’s more fun (and satisfying) to draw a clear line in the sand, but the differences in impact rarely seem to warrant it. Emphasizing order — who is 12th versus 14th — now feels hollow to me, and I’ve come away largely GOAT-agnostic. Plus, different criteria will produce radically different lists.

I give Jordan the best peak, but it’s not by a lot. LeBron has the best consecutive eight-season stretch ever. Kareem has the most valuable career relative to his era. And even Russell has a backdoor claim as the most valuable player of all time. Any of those four are great GOAT choices. I think (hope) that the career ranges that players fell into on this list are a good starting point for any all-time discussion or best player list moving forward.

So, some 80,000 words, 500 videos and 250 graphics later, I hope you’ve enjoyed this as much as I have. Thanks so much for reading and being open to something a bit different.

For me, this was the best work on the NBA all-time greats that I have encountered. That doesn't mean I agree with everything by any means, but it did open my eyes to different ways of thinking about the game and the greats, and it did change my mind on quite a bit actually. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#27 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

Airplane > Space Jam

@BSLMikeRandall

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

Here is his last post on this topic which sums up his thoughts on the whole project.  http://www.backpicks...-and-longevity/

Here is the conclusion to the post:

For me, this was the best work on the NBA all-time greats that I have encountered. That doesn't mean I agree with everything by any means, but it did open my eyes to different ways of thinking about the game and the greats, and it did change my mind on quite a bit actually. 

Enjoyed the read, thanks for the link Mike.

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:18 AM

Enjoyed the read, thanks for the link Mike.

Any opinions on his thoughts / rankings?

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

Any opinions on his thoughts / rankings?

I liked the video on Wilt.   Brings him to life more than just his stats.  It didn't really change my opinion on him though, and I think the charge of offensive blindness isn't something I consider a real weakness for him. Do think the video showed what the author said though, that he wasn't quite as fluid as we've all read.

The guy spelled out his criteria for the rankings, and that's fine.  He made clear what the list was and wasn't.

Loved the detail with each guy.

• mweb08 likes this

#31 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:42 AM

Regarding, Wilt, between this piece and some other stuff I've read, I have soured on him some over the years. It does seem like he generally failed to find the right mix of scoring and passing, and whatever extreme he tended to be on diminished his offensive impact below what the standard stats would suggest.

As for the criteria for the rankings, Taylor has brought me around a little bit towards his position, but I still prefer to lean more on peak when talking about GOAT rankings. He definitely changed my opinion on several guys though.

See, people can get me to change my mind, they just have spend hundreds of hours doing research and piecing together convincing arguments.  :lol:

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:01 PM

Re: Jordan vs. LeBron

I'm a Jordan stan, and make no apologies for it.  

I don't think you will ever convince me that Jordan's best wasn't better than LeBron's best.

That said... I've come around on the idea that LeBron has an argument for a better career. 

Jordan starting his pro career older... the 1st retirement, the 2nd retirement...  
I'll always wonder what if MJ had the '93-'94 season, and all of the '94-'95 season... and the '98-'99 season (he was MVP when he stepped away after '97-'98)..  but he doesn't. And you could argue that maybe the 2nd 3 peat doesn't happen without the initial time away. 

James isn't what he was, but he's still playing at a very high level.  At-worst he's 2nd team All NBA this year at age 37.  He's been in the league since '03-'04, and that consistent long-term high productivity does have to be greatly appreciated. 

I'm not a Lakers fan, but hopefully they can get Davis healthy.. figure out a trade for Russ, and give James a team in the 2nd half which has a chance. 

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 08 February 2023 - 08:26 AM

CBS Sports: LeBron James breaks NBA scoring record: 25 numbers to know as one of sports' most hallowed marks falls

https://www.cbssport...ed-marks-falls/

CBS Sports: LeBron James eclipses Kareem Abdul-Jabbar -- and Michael Jordan -- on the same magical night

https://www.cbssport...ed-marks-falls/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=