#21 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

Derwin Gray has announced he'll be returning to Maryland for his senior year. Now waiting on Damian Prince.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#22 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:52 AM

Sounds like they might have another O-lineman in the mix. FSU G/T Brock Ruble (DeMatha alum) announced he was leaving as a grad transfer, and apparently MD is his top choice. Should be official within the next two weeks when spring semester starts. He'll have just one remaining season of eligibility.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

Sorry that Merritt left, but I'm very pleased that Gray and Prince are returning. 

• Greg Pappas likes this

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

The early-declaration draft deadline has come and gone, so outside of Moore and Jackson the Terps will not lose any underclassmen to the NFL.

Moore's production will be very hard to replace. None of the receivers really showed that they could have stepped up last season if Moore couldn't be there, so we will have to cross our fingers and hope for the best with this group. What makes it all the more discouraging is that they really don't seem to want to utilize the TE in the passing offense either.

Losing Jackson early was a little unexpected, but I think with a deeper pool of experienced players the Terps can weather his departure easier.

With Gray and Prince coming back, there are no more excuses for the OL. Not only is there talent there, but newer players have had an extra year of development. If that means there is shuffling of the unit and younger guys pushing some of last season's starters out, all the better.

Next will be to see who they lose to transfers or guys who otherwise leave the program. Based on the current scholarship count, who is returning (which probably includes Aniebonam and Jacobs) and the 2018 signees plus 2 other commits, they will have to shed scholarship players to get within the limit of 85. I'd be surprised if they lose any prominent players, it'll probably be guys that have played little to not at all.

One name I'd imagine would transfer out is Caleb Henderson. He's been in college for four years, so I'd think he is set to graduate and could go anywhere without losing his last season of eligibility. And I think it was made pretty clear that he is not part of their plans when they actually started Ryan Brand in a game over him.

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

Dion Goldbourne (DE) and Ryan Brand (the QB - not his brother Bryce), appear to have left the program.

Goldbourne was viewed as a very raw, developmental pass-rusher coming out of HS, but never saw the field in his 2 seasons.

Brand, a walk-on, saw significant playing time late in the season, including a start against Michigan, thanks to the disaster that was the QB position last season. Assuming good health (and for MD that is a huge assumption) he probably didn't figure to rise above 4th-string at best. Plus no telling how he'd fit with whatever offensive style Canada wants to run.

#26 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

Testudo Times: QB Caleb Henderson won't play for Maryland football in 2018

...leaves the Terps with just three healthy quarterbacks in spring practice. With Pigrome and Hill still rehabbing their torn ACLs and Brand no longer listed on the team’s online roster, Maryland is left with Bortenschlager, early-enrolling freshman Tyler DeSue and walk-on Legend Brumbaugh healthy right now.

He'll be staying with the program in an off-field role, but the team is now down to 3 healthy QBs for the Spring.

@BSLZackKiesel

#27 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

Henderson just tweeted:

Just want to set the record straight I have been hurt since I broke my foot at the end of spring until the end of my season with my elbow. I was not the same after my surgery. I have decided to step away from my playing days but am going to help Maryland football because I believe in coach Durkin and this program. We will be something as a program very soon. Thank you for all the support over the years and I will always have love for the dmv. Thank you and go terps

• You Play to Win the Game, Mike in STL and Markus like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#28 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

UMTerps: Red-White Spring Game Set For April 14

First practice is Monday, Spring Game a little more than a month later. Same drill as previous games: free parking, seating under the Tyser Tower, and a 12:30 PM start. You can also see the game on BTN2Go.

@BSLZackKiesel

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

Washington Post: They fell to Maryland’s QB injury curse. Now they will try to break it together.

#30 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:03 AM

Testudo TimesInjured Maryland QBs Tyrrell Pigrome and Kasim Hill are sparring during spring practice

With both quarterbacks just recently cleared for running, they’ll be held out all spring, but are on track and even “a little ahead of schedule” to return by fall camp, according to head coach DJ Durkin.

There are also a number of players who will be out for the spring who are recovering from offseason surgeries. The offensive line will be missing Derwin Gray and Terrance Davis, while defensive linemen Keiron Howard, Brett Kulka with Cam Spence will all be held out.

While there wasn’t too much to be gleaned from the offense run on day one, offensive coordinator Matt Canada did show a little trickery. Early indications are tight ends will be much more involved, and Canada loves pre-snap motions. At one point, Canada motioned two tight ends out to the right followed by a jet sweep motion, resulting in a running back handoff.

@BSLZackKiesel

#31 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

BSL: 5 Things to Watch This Spring

Spring football is here! The Terps started their spring practices yesterday, and here I take a look at 5 things to watch before the Spring Game concludes spring practice on April 14th.

@BSLZackKiesel

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Talent continues to improve across the board.

Lot of questions everywhere though.

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

I sure hope Hill and Piggy are ready to go before camp begins in August, and of course stay available.

Every early preview seems to be gushing on the gains by Texas.... and all of Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan seem to be in the Top 12 or so.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland football enters spring practice with a loaded group of running backs

Testudo Times: Maryland football’s receiving corps has plenty of production to replace entering 2018

Testudo Times: With the starters rehabbing, Maryland has an odd QB situation

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

Sadly, one thing we won't get to watch this spring is WR Tahj Capehart who (stop me if you've heard this before) tore his ACL and is out for the year. Considering the massive amount of production they have to replace at receiver (albeit from just 1 guy) that is certainly bad news all around.

#36 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:40 AM

Sadly, one thing we won't get to watch this spring is WR Tahj Capehart who (stop me if you've heard this before) tore his ACL and is out for the year. Considering the massive amount of production they have to replace at receiver (albeit from just 1 guy) that is certainly bad news all around.

Where did you hear this? Not seeing the news anywhere.

@BSLZackKiesel

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

Where did you hear this? Not seeing the news anywhere.

They're talking about it on Testudo Times. Based on the sources, it sounds legit. Would expect next time Durkin is available to the media he will update that and any other injury news.

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:27 PM

IMS: Cowart, Fellow Transfers Bring Experience to Maryland Defense
https://maryland.247...fense-116458343

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

It's just spring, but hearing since practices resumed after the break that Rayshad Lewis is working out on the other side of the ball now.

On one hand, WR is easily the biggest question mark and concern on this team, and switching someone who at least has one season of decent WR production at the college level doesn't make much sense on the surface.

On the other hand, "Ray" Lewis playing defense has a certain ring to it for some reason.

#40 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

Not sure what took so long, but here's the official announcement on Tahj Capehart's torn ACL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=