513 replies to this topic

#241 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 10:38 AM

Fans and even boosters being frustrated with him and the University actually firing him are wildly different.

If they weren't, Turgeon would've been fired years ago.

Maryland has a long history of not firing a coach, and then having to payi a replacement, alot like Peter Angelos. Something they just dont do.

Kentucky is an eye opening school. The coach makes a 7 figure salary and most of the players are driving better rides than he is, and most of those kids, sure did not get them from their family. Im sure quire a few schools are like that. 

It was schools like Ky that helped the NCAA to put out a stop to athletes allowed to work, as there was so much shenanigans doing on. Half the football team was doing "landscaping", getting $25 an hour, to lay out in the sun and swim in the boss's  pool.

#242 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,424 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 10:40 AM

They're still not paying Calipari $50M to go away.

#243 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 11:44 AM

Fans and even boosters being frustrated with him and the University actually firing him are wildly different.

If they weren't, Turgeon would've been fired years ago.

And no quarterback would stick with a team for longer than two years either. :)

@BSLMikeRandall

#244 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:02 PM

I think every fanbase that has a tradition of winning across all of sports wants to fire its coach if it goes more than two years without a title and yet nearly all of those coaches manage to keep their job  

• Old Man likes this

she/her

#245 BSLMikePopovec

BSLMikePopovec

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:49 PM

BSL: Stuck In The Middle With Turgeon

https://baltimorespo...e-with-turgeon/

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus, BSLZackKiesel and 1 other like this

#246 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 15 March 2021 - 10:21 PM

I think that if Turgeon gets to the sweet 16 this year he will be extended long term, not for 1 year. Especially if he beats 2 seed Alabama to get there. Even if he plays the Tide tough he's probably going to get an extension. Whether or not you like that is another story, but in my opinion he will have earned it after this year if he hits those milestones. I believe this is by far his best coaching job during his tenure at Maryland.

#247 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:04 AM

I don't Turgeon gets fired if they go one and done in the tourney. He has two more years guaranteed and that's just too much money to give him to walk away from considering the current situation in College Park. I can see him getting an extension if they go fairly deep ( Elite Eight), but I doubt this happens either.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#248 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,424 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:26 AM

The basketball facility point seems odd to me. I get that they don't have a dedicated practice facility, but they have one of the very the best arenas in the nation. And they practice there.

I wasn't aware they were building a practice facility. Frankly that seems like a bad use of resources for the university and athletic department.

I also agree with russ above about Turgeon being in absolutely no job danger currently. I don't think they'd extend him unless there is a deep run, but they aren't firing him after this year's coaching job. Being stuck with a mediocre roster is on him, but coaching this team up like he has is also on him and it's been a good season in that regard.

#249 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:07 AM

I wasn't aware they were building a practice facility. Frankly that seems like a bad use of resources for the university and athletic department.

https://forum.baltim...ctice-facility/

• Mackus likes this

#250 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:07 AM

BSL: Stuck In The Middle With Turgeon

https://baltimorespo...e-with-turgeon/

There was a paragraph I missed when posting Mike's article. Has been edited in now.

• Mackus likes this

#251 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:11 AM

I think Davis getting DFA from the Orioles is more of a chance than Turg getting released with 2 years left.

Maryland doesn't fire coaches and having to pay them and pay the new coach. Just not in their MO.

I would love to see them in at least the sweet 16 and even battling for top honors like the women will be.

I wont be betting the rent money that it will happen.

#252 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,424 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:18 AM

They did exactly that with their last three big coaches Durkin (admittedly for other reasons), Edsall, and Freidgen. Gary retired so nothing owed. Don't think we need to look back any further than the nearly 20 years that covers.

So I don't think it's a fair statement to say firing coaches with money left on their deal is not in their MO. However it may not currently be within their budget when it comes to Turgeon. Also everything I've ever heard about him (info 2 years old now though) is that the boosters love him. And it's usually the boosters that fund a buyout in these situations. If they collectively aren't on board, Evans and Pines are unlikely to force him out and foot the bill.

#253 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:43 AM

The basketball facility point seems odd to me. I get that they don't have a dedicated practice facility, but they have one of the very the best arenas in the nation. And they practice there.

I also agree with russ above about Turgeon being in absolutely no job danger currently. I don't think they'd extend him unless there is a deep run, but they aren't firing him after this year's coaching job. Being stuck with a mediocre roster is on him, but coaching this team up like he has is also on him and it's been a good season in that regard.

I agree with you overall that building a dedicated practice facility is probably not the best use of resources in the current health and economic climate. However, it probably would help the program with upper tiered recruits since most of their competitors have them.

http://feinknopf.pho...0000ATWRq9o.YnI
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#254 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 09:53 AM

They did exactly that with their last three big coaches Durkin (admittedly for other reasons), Edsall, and Freidgen. Gary retired so nothing owed. Don't think we need to look back any further than the nearly 20 years that covers.

So I don't think it's a fair statement to say firing coaches with money left on their deal is not in their MO. However it may not currently be within their budget when it comes to Turgeon. Also everything I've ever heard about him (info 2 years old now though) is that the boosters love him. And it's usually the boosters that fund a buyout in these situations. If they collectively aren't on board, Evans and Pines are unlikely to force him out and foot the bill.

2 Coaches, and 20 years, with Football and Basketball. so thats 40 seasons of ball.

Got to say, that its not in their MO.  Unless there is specific reason and "just cause" like Durkin.

But, its not a big deal either way.

Im totally with you about the dedicated practice facility, probably not the best use of resources, unless it was private donation specifically earmarked for this reason.

#255 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,424 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:15 AM

If every coach they've fired for two decades has had money left on their deal, how can you possibly say that they are against firing coaches with money left on their deal?

Obviously they (and every school) don't fire coaches often. There aren't going to be dozens of examples.
  • Mike B, makoman and Old Man like this

#256 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,346 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:17 AM

It's standard practice across the board for coaches to be term'ed with time left on their deals. Unless you want to punt a year in recruiting, in addition to starting a new regime, that will be the case. The calculus is, not having to sacrifice a recruiting cycle is worth more than having to pay a buyout.

#257 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:25 AM

I think Turgeon will be here next year, and if things are the same, they will move on from him.

@mikeghg

#258 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:51 AM

I think Turgeon will be here next year, and if things are the same, they will move on from him.

This is pretty much what I think. Expectations should be, and will be much higher next season. You've had two years to replace Cowan and Smith, three years to replace Huerter and Fernando. If you're still middling around the Big Ten, it's time to go.

@BSLZackKiesel

#259 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

This is pretty much what I think. Expectations should be, and will be much higher next season. You've had two years to replace Cowan and Smith, three years to replace Huerter and Fernando. If you're still middling around the Big Ten, it's time to go.

I am concerned that we are starting to see the program bottom out.  I mentioned earlier that if Morsell and Wiggins leave, Turgeon will need to have a great year in the transfer market.  He basically struck out there, last year.

It is tough to recruit when you are a lame duck, but that is where the program is right now.

@mikeghg

#260 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:50 PM

So I used to be pretty ardent in my belief that you shouldn't fire a coach that has you in the NCAAT on a consistent basis and is always floating around the top 25. And part of me also thinks that any discussion about his postseason failures is a bit unfair because COVID robbed him of a chance to prove his postseason mettle with by far his best squad.

But I'm sort of coming around to the idea that maybe you shoot for the moon with another coach. It's a little boring knowing that your team is going to be good but is rarely going to exceed expectations. That said, its not a very strong conviction because I think the degree of difficulty in going from a top-30 team to a top-15 team is pretty high, and the volatility is astronomical. And there's also the amount of faith I have in UMD's admin to hire a better coach. (Not much.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=