• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

I've spent a good portion of the last few years listing my complaints about Turgeon...  I just don't love his style of play.

That said, I've always recognized there are multiple ways to win... I appreciate that he's put MD back on solid ground. He's a quality recruiter.  He's put together a good staff.

While I don't love him in-game, his overall results (not just at MD) point to him being a Top 25 Head Coach imo.

He is signed through 2022-23. 

That's 5 full seasons after this one.

It's really hard for me to envision a scenario where MD would replace him before the end of '19-'20.

That said, I think by the end of that '19-'20 season (including this year, 3 years) he needs to have accomplished something like this during that period:

1 E8

or 2 S16s
or 1 Regular Season Big Ten Title, & 1 S16

or 1 Big Ten Conference Title, & 1 S16
or 3 NCAATs, 75 wins, 3 Top 25s at Year End

That is a bar that should be reached.

If he does that the next 3 years (combined with what has occurred the last 3 years); Maryland won't be back to being 'elite', but the program will have had a 6 year run ('14-'15 through '19-'20) of consistently positive results.

It'd be fair to ask for more of him going forward, but he will have earned the right to continue on through the next three years of his current contract ('22-'23).

If this and the next two years through the end of '19-'20 don't have MD reaching the bar listed above; I think MD would be forced to move on.

Some might be ready to turn the page now. That isn't happening.

Some might think he only deserves through next year... and I see that point, but I can't see MD making a move with 4 full years left on his contract (after next year).

So.. the way I see it... he has all of this year, all of next, and all of '19-'20.

MD can be really good next year. He needs to capitalize on that imo.

2018-19 Currently
Guards: Morsell, Huerter, Cowan, Wiley, Ayala
Wings: Jackson, Wiggins,
Bigs: Fernando, Smith, Bender, Tomaic

Maybe you lose Jackson. Maybe you lose Fernando. Maybe you add more to the '18 Class... but that's a pretty good team talent wise currently. 

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:20 AM

With that contract he's probably not going anywhere in the next couple years, so at this point it probably doesn't matter. But I'm not happy with the results.

What's the deal with the AD? Did I miss anything, or is Anderson still on "leave?" If KA is gone, then a new AD might have a quicker trigger-finger once the money issue isn't insurmountable. Even if it ends up being Evans taking over, he didn't hire Turgeon (not sure if he had anything to do with the extension though) so might not be as much loyalty there either.

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:01 AM

Turge is 8-24 against ranked teams since coming to MD. 

Unacceptable. 

The fall from grace since winning a national title is unlike any other. Gary is part of that too, but Turge made MD basketball irrelevant to the point of no one going to games. When Cole/Comcast Center used to be the renowned for their noise level and home court advantage.

@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

I'm not calling for Turgeon's head, but the consistent failings in certain aspects are very frustrating. Turnovers are a coachable problem, especially the ones we make frequently that aren't forced by defensive pressure or uptempo offense.

#5 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

We won easily yesterday but still had 22 more turnovers.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

I mean I expect the program to stay on par with where theyve been the last few years but thats not good enough. Yeah, we're gonna have to wait out another 2 or 3 years on that contract before its even possible to consider going a different direction. 

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

I mean I expect the program to stay on par with where theyve been the last few years but thats not good enough. Yeah, we're gonna have to wait out another 2 or 3 years on that contract before its even possible to consider going a different direction. 

This is the bottomline.

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

No different than the Harbaugh situation in that you know you're going to mostly get mediocrity. Some seasons below and some seasons above that mediocrity line but nothing special. I also believe they both do a lot of things well other than their in game coaching. However the in game coaching is so suspect that it leaves the potential only so high

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

Given that he figures to be here two years after this season...what does he have to do in these 3 years to stay on the last 3 years of his contract?

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

Really depends on who is available. If there is someone out there Maryland really likes and they send out feelers and see that guy is interested then you make the move.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

But if they hit a certain bar / level..they won't look. What is that level?

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

Given that he figures to be here two years after this season...what does he have to do in these 3 years to stay on the last 3 years of his contract?

Chances are that if he does anything that could be considered justification for staying the last three years, the contract will be extended even further.

@DJ_McCann

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

Make the tourney every year. Never seeded below 4. (So top 16 team give or take)

Make 1 Big Ten title game. Winning it would be nice. 

Make 3 Big Ten Semi-final games.

Never finish outside the top four in conference standings.

That would be a solid foundation of a great team. That at least lets me know he's got a good thing going. Then in the remaining 3 years you can start asking for Elite 8s, a Final 4, BT titles, #1, #2 seeds in the tourney, raise to bar form great to elite.

@BSLMikeRandall

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

These injuries are gonna absolve Turgeon from any criticism sticking if things go south the remainder of this year.  Not saying he should be absolved, but he's not gonna get canned even if we limp to an NIT-or-worse finish.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

These injuries are gonna absolve Turgeon from any criticism sticking if things go south the remainder of this year.  Not saying he should be absolved, but he's not gonna get canned even if we limp to an NIT-or-worse finish.

I think all the time left on his contract is the biggest thing.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

Eh, I think they'd eat the money if they really wanted to.  I don't think they really want to, and the injuries will prevent any booster or fan anger from getting too hot.

Its completely unacceptable what he's done with the program.  I like him and think he's a good coach, but there is no argument that he's had a bad record here.  We've had two seasons that went better than expected (his first and Melo's first) and several years that went downhill from where preseason expectations were.  I'd move on if I were the one making the decision, even with the potentially very strong freshman class about to come in and join a young team.

#17 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

Turgeon makes $2.5Mish a year. Maryland can 100% fire him and foot the bill for two coaches since colleges are money printing machines.

Consider that Coack K and Bill Self make about double what Turgeon does, Calipari makes triple...oh, and those schools suck at football too, since football funds a lot of schools budgets. Turgeon is the 14th highest paid coach.

Plank has a billion dollars in a rainy day fund. He could throw $10M toward the effort and recoup it before I finish writing this post. 

You could hand pick any talented mid-major school and pay that coach a fraction of what you paid Turgeon. 

Florida Gulf Coast pays Joe Dooley $277K. Give him $1M a year and he'll be ecstatic. Pay $3.5M a year for a new coach, or $2.5M per for the same garbage? Mind you, this amount of money is no issue for big universities. 

http://sports.usatod...sketball/coach/

Side note, how is Roy Williams only the 24th highest paid coach in basketball? What? 

@BSLMikeRandall

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

The whole reason MD is in the Big Ten... was that the Athletic Department was in significant financial difficulty.

The finances are improving (they didn't get full equitable revenue sharing first couple years in the Big Ten), but still aren't great.

They haven't reached their fundraising goals for the new Indoor facility.

I don't believe MD has the means (at-least desire) to find the dollars necessary to pay for Turgeon's departure, and a replacement.

You fire Turgeon, you aren't bringing in someone like Dooley imo.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

Should have known from the beginning with Anderson making the hires. Gives me zero confidence in Durkin though Im not sure just how involved Anderson was with that one. Looking forward to whoever it is as AD making the next hire

#20 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

Fire Turgeon and make Williams the interim coach.  Figure it out next year.

Maybe promote Williams to AD as an alternative to a lucrative contract.

@Miller192

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=