#24 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Coach Jason Kidd was suspended for the first 2 games of the season. Guilty plea for driving while ability impaired. http://espn.go.com/n...mes-guilty-plea

@MKlein76

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

ESPN: Nets to CEOs: 'Here's your chance'

http://espn.go.com/n...-ceos-sixth-man

@levineps

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Brooklyn lost their opener vs. Cleveland. Kirilenko was out. Deron Williams played just 22 mts with a sprained ankle.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

CBS Sports: After 10 games, too soon to write off Nets
http://www.cbssports...te-off-the-nets

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

ESPN: Kidd's rant filled with expletives

http://espn.go.com/n...-assistant-rant

"Sit the (expletive) down! I'm the coach of this (13-letter word) team! When you're on the bench, don't (expletive) move," Kidd said, according to NBA.com, which did not offer further details of what the 13-letter word was.

@levineps

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:44 AM

CBS Sports: Report: Nets coach Jason Kidd is 'losing the locker room'

http://www.cbssports...the-locker-room

I know it's just one example, but I'm guessing teams will be even more hesitant in the future to have a first time coach right from an active playing career and no previous coaching experience at all.

@levineps

#30 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

I know it's just one example, but I'm guessing teams will be even more hesitant in the future to have a first time coach right from an active playing career and no previous coaching experience at all.

Reminds me of when Ray Miller was managing the O's, and after a loss said something to the effect of "Ask those guys, the're the ones who make all the money"..All respect was lost instantly in that clubhouse and the team never recovered. 

Even if it is the players fault 99% of the time, the manager can't just throw everyone under the bus like that. You never want to feel like it's us vs. him. 

@beginthebegin71

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

NBA history is littered with coaches who began their coaching careers while they were still active players, most notably Lenny Wilkens and Bill Russell. But the game has changed, and more importantly the players are a much different breed nowadays. It's a practice that pretty much died out in the early 70's (not counting Jordan's return to the court while serving as president of the Wiz).

I think the most recent instance of that in any of the Big Four sports leagues was when Pete Rose managed the Reds and mostly was a backup infielder/pinch-hitter in the mid-80's. I think there are also more recent instances of it in European soccer leagues.

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

NBA history is littered with coaches who began their coaching careers while they were still active players, most notably Lenny Wilkens and Bill Russell. But the game has changed, and more importantly the players are a much different breed nowadays. It's a practice that pretty much died out in the early 70's (not counting Jordan's return to the court while serving as president of the Wiz).

I think the most recent instance of that in any of the Big Four sports leagues was when Pete Rose managed the Reds and mostly was a backup infielder/pinch-hitter in the mid-80's. I think there are also more recent instances of it in European soccer leagues.

Yeah that practice is pretty much over of player-coach/managers. I don't expect other NBA teams to look so kindly on hiring recently retired players to be head coaches without much of a internship as an assistant coach.

Jordan resigned as President of the Wizards when he played for the Wizards, he expected to get that job back, but Pollin had other ideas. 

@levineps

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yeah that practice is pretty much over of player-coach/managers. I don't expect other NBA teams to look so kindly on hiring recently retired players to be head coaches without much of a internship as an assistant coach.

Jordan resigned as President of the Wizards when he played for the Wizards, he expected to get that job back, but Pollin had other ideas. 

Yeah forgot he had to step down too.....I originally thought he only had to sell his minority ownership stake in the franchise when he decided to play again. He's another cautionary tale about having a just-retired player assume such a senior role in an organization without learning the ropes first.

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Yeah forgot he had to step down too.....I originally thought he only had to sell his minority ownership stake in the franchise when he decided to play again. He's another cautionary tale about having a just-retired player assume such a senior role in an organization without learning the ropes first.

I'm not sure exactly how that worked. I recall reading when Magic Johnson went back to playing, he had to sell his ownership stake. I'm not sure if they just put it in a trust or something, so they can get it back when they are finished playing as Magic became an owner again.

MLB- players/managers can't concurrently have ownership stakes. NBA- players can't have ownership stakes (not sure about coaches). NHL- they can, atleast I remember that with Lemieux coming back he was able to keep his ownership. Pretty sure in the NFL players can't, but that hasn't come into play since about the founding of the league (I think coaches can, Don Shula had an ownership stake -- that could've changed).

@levineps

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm not sure exactly how that worked. I recall reading when Magic Johnson went back to playing, he had to sell his ownership stake. I'm not sure if they just put it in a trust or something, so they can get it back when they are finished playing as Magic became an owner again.

MLB- players/managers can't concurrently have ownership stakes. NBA- players can't have ownership stakes (not sure about coaches). NHL- they can, atleast I remember that with Lemieux coming back he was able to keep his ownership. Pretty sure in the NFL players can't, but that hasn't come into play since about the founding of the league (I think coaches can, Don Shula had an ownership stake -- that could've changed).

Paul Brown was owner/coach of the Bengals when they were first founded. I know Al Davis was part-owner and coached the Raiders simultaneously for one season, but I'm pretty certain that was while they were still in the AFL. I'm not sure, but I think George Halas may have been player, coach and owner of the Bears at the same time some point, but like you said that was obviously a long time ago. I'm waiting for the day Jerry Jones decides to hire himself as coach....then we'll know where the current rules stand.

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

Paul Brown was owner/coach of the Bengals when they were first founded. I know Al Davis was part-owner and coached the Raiders simultaneously for one season, but I'm pretty certain that was while they were still in the AFL. I'm not sure, but I think George Halas may have been player, coach and owner of the Bears at the same time some point, but like you said that was obviously a long time ago. I'm waiting for the day Jerry Jones decides to hire himself as coach....then we'll know where the current rules stand.

Al Davis was coach/GM of the Raiders before becoming AFL Commissioner before the merger -- wasn't aware he had an ownership stake at this point. After the merger, he came back as part-owner then staged a coup to become the general partner of the team.

I think George Halas was all of these like you said.

Connie Mack owned/managed the Philadelphia A's back in the day, it wasn't always against the rules in baseball -- just when Ted Turner tried to do it.

@levineps

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Al Davis was coach/GM of the Raiders before becoming AFL Commissioner before the merger -- wasn't aware he had an ownership stake at this point. After the merger, he came back as part-owner then staged a coup to become the general partner of the team.

I think George Halas was all of these like you said.

Connie Mack owned/managed the Philadelphia A's back in the day, it wasn't always against the rules in baseball -- just when Ted Turner tried to do it.

I think it was that first season after he was commissioner that he both owned a piece of the team and coached it, but he hired another coach just a season later.

#38 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

I think it was that first season after he was commissioner that he both owned a piece of the team and coached it, but he hired another coach just a season later.

He was only commissioner for some months, looks like he was disassociated from the Raiders at this time, he wasn't coaching them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis

@levineps

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

He was only commissioner for some months, looks like he was disassociated from the Raiders at this time, he wasn't coaching them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis

After resigning as AFL commissioner [in July 1966], Davis formed a holding company, A.D. Football, Inc. and returned to his old club as one of three general partners, along with Wayne Valley and Ed McGah. He owned a 10% stake in the team, and was also named head of football operations. On the field, the team Davis had assembled and coached steadily improved. With John Rauch (Davis's hand-picked successor) as head coach, the Raiders won the 1967 AFL Championship, defeating the Houston Oilers 40–7.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Nets back to a game under .500.  Kind of an achievement after the way they started. They would be a bit more interesting if they hadn't lost Lopez to injury.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=