24 replies to this topic

#1 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

There are times when a week or two passes where I have had a drink every day/night. On week nights it's usually a glass or two or three of wine/beer around dinner. Weekends I ramp it up to about 6-12 drinks a day. Ashamed to say that there are probably times when it's even more than that. So I drink a lot. Sometimes it scares me and I want to slow down for obvious reasons. I know if I stopped drinking or severely cut back I would probably lose 10-15 pounds like it was nothing. Other times I'm like fuck it...life is short, I have no kids, enjoy every drink. I try to be responsible and there are times when I'm an idiot and drive when I shouldn't and I've been lucky to have never gotten a DUI but I have gotten better. I do most of my drinking at home and have started to use Uber more when I know I will have a lot out, or plan to stay over at someone's house.

I say this wondering whether or not I will go home tonight and have a drink.

What about you?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

A lot less than I used to. Part of getting old I guess. I don't enjoy it any less, body just doesn't respond/recover as well.

Until about 5 years ago I had probably a couple glasses of wine per night. I'd go through a couple Bota Boxes every week. Then would go out and have beer nearly every weekend. Then I backed off in conjunction with several other life-changes that were occurring. Lost 35 pounds in about 6 months without really trying. Rarely drink wine now. Beer varies....might have it a couple occasions one week (usually no more than 2-3 at a time), then go a couple weeks with none at all.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

I drink a little bit less than you. 

Mostly just cut out the nights where I have a drink or three with dinner at home.  I don't do that very often during the week, especially once my softball leagues are done.  Still do maybe once or twice a week, but less often than nights I don't have any drinks.  And not that I intentionally avoid drinking on random nights, it just doesn't cross my mind to have a drink.

Weekends though I think my consumption sounds equal to yours.  I'll have a few to a handful even if it's just me and the wife doing nothing at home.  I'll have a handful to two if it's a day out with friends.  Much less frequent now than when I was younger, but I'll do an all-day drink-em-up every now and then and really tie one on.  Used to be maybe once a month, now I'm down to less than that.  Unless it's a full blown bender like a ski trip with a ton of friends or golf trip or bachelor party with the boys.  That's maybe two or three times a year and I'll have two or three of those days in a row.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

I don't drink at home during the week.  I have never been someone who drinks with dinner (I dont like wine, so that's part of it) and I don't sit around and just drink a beer or something.

However, when I do drink, its a fairly decent amount..usually a combo of beers and shots.  The good thing is that we party in our neighborhood a lot, so I never have to drive anywhere and you spend minimal money.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

An old thread on this. If you posted, can see if you've changed over time at all.

http://www.baltimore...n-do-you-drink/

• Mackus likes this

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:31 PM

I get drunk just about every weekend night. Have a drink with dinner or something like that occasionally during the week, probably once a week on average. Every now and then push the envelope from casual to aggressive on a week/school/work night, mostly when I've got a softball game or something and our team goes out to the bar after the game.

If I'm on a vacation with friends, then it's a full blown bender.

Nope...not much has changed!  Thanks for the bump, Chris, interesting to see.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

Early to mid 20s...  Only day off was Tuesday.  There was a low key MNF... followed by nights out Wed - Sat. And then Sunday football.

Late 20s to early 30s, that dropped to out once a week. Friday or Sat.

Last 5-6 years, I've been hibernating. Out maybe every couple of months. 

I go weeks, sometimes months at a time at this point without a drop.

#8 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

Thursday to Sunday is a pretty hardcore binge every week. My body cannot handle it but I press on.

@fuzydunlop

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,577 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

Might have a drink or two once every two months or so and get drunk a couple times a year.

#10 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:07 PM

I fluctuate.  I've been averaging 2 a night lately, but I'll go for weeks without one.  I enjoy the taste and drink a little bit of everything, but my wallet cries every time I go buy a bottle of scotch.

#11 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:09 PM

Shitfaced as I type this.

In all seriousness, I usually have a couple of glasses of Crown at night before bed.  I use it to unwind and I actually sleep quite well.

I'm not getting drunk but comfortable. On weekends, its probably the same as yours.

@Miller192

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:18 PM

I hear people say, I need a glass of wine tonight because I have had a long day.

Do you guys believe that a drink “calms you down” or “helps you unwind” or is it just a mental state?

#13 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

I hear people say, I need a glass of wine tonight because I have had a long day.

Do you guys believe that a drink “calms you down” or “helps you unwind” or is it just a mental state?

It's just a mental state.

Once I have the kids in bed, lunches made and the house cleaned, I usually retire to my basement.  Pour a little whiskey, watch some game or show on TV and chat with you assholes on this message board.

• JeremyStrain likes this
@Miller192

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

My question is how do some of you compare weed to alcohol as a stress/ anxiety reliever. Really asking. I'm sure it differs for individuals.

#15 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:48 PM

A lot less than I used to. 

In my CG days after 48 or 72 hours at the station, we'd head up the beach at 9am and drink. Walk home hammered at noon, 1ish. Sleep it off. Wake up at dinner time, eat, shower, head back up the beach, get hammered again for the second time in 24 hours. Hangovers weren't a thing yet. Spring break lasting about 6 weeks down there. I mean, what else was there to do? I had a Jager tap like you see at bars in my kitchen. Lol.

Drinking came with being in the restaurant industry too. You leave work every night with cash in hand. You know all the bartenders in the area. They know you. I remember it like it was yesterday. Sundays was Harryman House. Was off Mondays and Tuesdays which meant Bar Trivia on Mondays and O's games on Tuesdays if they were home, in season. Wednesday was $2 long islands at North Star. Thursdays was Bill Batemans. Fridays and Saturdays was wherever the crowd was or whoever was throwing a party. 

Probably about 7 years ago I really slowed down. When I moved in with my lady the Jager tap had to go. I drink pretty much just socially now, which isn't often. I don't drink alone. But I have a bar and always beers in fridge when people come over. I might go weeks without a drink. Or I might drink 3 days in a row. Depends on whats going on. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

My question is how do some of you compare weed to alcohol as a stress/ anxiety reliever. Really asking. I'm sure it differs for individuals.

Haven’t smoked weed in 20 years..never did anything for me.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:57 PM

Weed = no hangovers. But I don't do that any more frequently than I drink now, and probably a little less.

#18 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:41 AM

I can't afford anything, but I love beer. Not like cheap stuff like bud ice (bleh), I save my money and get Yuengling or Smart mouth (local brewery here in Norfolk). Only liquor I don't like is Gin and wine, besides that I love drinking. I'm also a heavy weight (thanks genetics!), the problem is that I can't afford it. I'm a weakling when it comes to pot, however. I cough for 10 minutes straight, then transform from the quiet kid to David Lee Roth. Don't do it very often because it's obvious when I'm stoned, because I become so stoned that I become the thing from the fantastic 4, metaphorically speaking. 

With weed it depends on the person, some people it's a depressant, but for me it's a stimulant. 

#19 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

A lot less than my 20's (I'm 35 now),  kids certainly play a big role in that.  I would say now a days I may drink more days per week, but less drinks per day.   If it's the weekend I'm likely to have a beer with my meal (not always the case)  once the kids go to bed I'll have 1 or 2 beers (maybe 3 if I'm drinking something good).  During the week I'll have a beer a couple of times a week. Maybe once or twice a month I'll hit up a local bar with a few buddies (nothing crazy just a few beers).   Don't get drunk as often either, usually because I wind up feeling tired (as I drink slower) and wind up going to bed.  Last time I can remember getting boozy was for a wedding in May.

#20 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

I had a wake up call over the weekend and in the last few weeks. Really started to have sleep problems when I didn't drink or didn't drink enough to pass out. And woke up not rested. In Chicago I drank quite a bit, ate a lot too, and started to feel my heart beating really hard and fast and again couldn't sleep one night when I didn't drink that much. Came home and took my blood pressure -- Hypertension stage 1 levels. Freaked me out. Stopped drinking and going to try to lay off it for at least 2 weeks. Coincidentally, the wife started a paleo-style diet when we got back and I am doing it with her and on the wagon for the time being, but I don't think I can stick with it (and no booze) for a whole month. Either way, my BP has returned to normal levels and I can sleep fine now that I'm a few days off it. Been hitting the gym. But I really need to consider how much I drink on nights when there is really no need to drink.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=