Photo

Cosby, O'Reilly/Ailes, Weinstein, Spacey...

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#21 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:52 PM

Add George Takei and Al Franken to the list...

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,776 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

Franken's big news since he's now a senator. Wonder if he'll resign. Sounds like not form his initial response. But I think it'd be a good precedent to set for him to do so. He can run again in 3 years and the people can decide if past sexual harassment is disqualifying or not, but I think any sitting congressman or other high-ranking official who admits or is found guilty of harassment should resign. If they don't resign, I think they should be removed.

#23 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

There's photo evidence of Franken, so I think he should resign.

If someone made a claim and didn't have anything to back it up, then I would think they shouldn't resign.

Now Stallone getting hit with something from 1986 and something to do with a 16 y/o.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

Well the Stallone  stuff sounds terrible and there is a police report from back then too.

I guess his career is over and Creed 2 won't happen, at least with him writing and directing it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,413 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

Think Franken pretty much has to resign. I know he was a comedian back then and thought he was just being funny, but dumb move posing for that photo.

#26 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Think Franken pretty much has to resign. I know he was a comedian back then and thought he was just being funny, but dumb move posing for that photo.

Roy Moore needs to go as well.

#27 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:34 PM

Man we really do live in a world of shitheads don't we? I mean I think I knew that anyway but damn.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#28 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

It's starting to get like the Mitchell report days of steroids in baseball. You want to like some actor, or go see a movie, but you have to check see if the lead star is a sex offender first.
@BSLMikeRandall

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

If Franken held a press conference tomorrow and said, "I am retiring at the end of my current term, I will not run if nominated in 2020, I will not serve...(blah blah blah)...but I will resign my office the day after President Trump resigns his," I would not like it one bit (because I don't believe he should be placing politics above something this serious), but I also don't know if I could say he was truly wrong to do it.

@DJ_McCann

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,413 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

Add Jeffrey Tambor, accused by Trace Lysette of assault while on the set of Transparent....and yes, she says it happened while Tambor was dressed in character (e.g. as a woman) at the time.

EDIT: Didn't realize it was the second time he's been accused. First came about a week ago by a former assistant of his.

EDIT 2: Appears Tambor will leave the show.

#31 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

2nd woman, 2 years after he was elected.

A woman says Sen. Al Franken inappropriately touched her in 2010, telling CNN that he grabbed her buttocks while taking a photo at the Minnesota State Fair.

http://www.cnn.com/2...2010/index.html

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,776 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

Franken really missed an opportunity to do the right thing by not resigning as soon as the first photo came out.  Now, even if he does resign, I don't know that it would set much of a precedent for other elected officials to resign once supportable evidence of harassment comes out.

#33 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

Franken really missed an opportunity to do the right thing by not resigning as soon as the first photo came out.  Now, even if he does resign, I don't know that it would set much of a precedent for other elected officials to resign once supportable evidence of harassment comes out.

There's literally nothing to be gained from resigning except "the moral high ground," I guess. He's not going to get re-elected, so I guess he could leave to give his party a chance to maintain the seat, but...I can't think of anything else. 

He knew he did this stuff. Leaving now is a total "I'm sorry I got caught" move.

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

All of this stuff is getting ridiculous.

#35 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

Hollywood in deep-do-do. And to quote the article, "And they expect several more."

Report: LAPD Probe Into Hollywood Sex Crimes Balloons To Nearly 24 Cases

https://www.huffingt...4b0e97dffedce56

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

Of course they expect more.  Its a witch hunt...a money grab at this point.

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

Of course they expect more.  Its a witch hunt...a money grab at this point.

Maybe in some cases but for the police to be involved at this point, it's sexual assault and rape, and likely provable, which is not about hunting witches or money grabs but arresting people for crimes they committed.

It needed to happen.

• BobPhelan and DJ MC like this

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,776 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

There's literally nothing to be gained from resigning except "the moral high ground," I guess. He's not going to get re-elected, so I guess he could leave to give his party a chance to maintain the seat, but...I can't think of anything else. 

He knew he did this stuff. Leaving now is a total "I'm sorry I got caught" move.

It's not about him.  If he resigns, then it would begin to establish a precedent that anyone who has had proven (or highly supported) sexual harassment claims against them should resign.  The next guy who has this come out, would then have more pressure on them to resign.  Which I think is a good thing.  People who do act this way shouldn't be in charge of anything.

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,776 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

BSLRobShields, on 20 Nov 2017 - 11:39, said:
All of this stuff is getting ridiculous.

BSLRobShields, on 20 Nov 2017 - 11:43, said:
Of course they expect more. Its a witch hunt...a money grab at this point.

This sounds dangerously close to victim blaming, IMO.

I think there are many people who haven't felt comfortable or supported enough to come forward with stories of their past mistreatment. Now that the dam seems to be crumbling, they are much more comfortable sharing. I think you gotta be really careful about falling into a mindset of "well if something really happened to them they would've come forward sooner, so this must be bullshit." That's the mindset that tacitly caused many of these people to remain quiet for so long in the first place.

I'm sure there will be some amount of false allegations in here as well, or things where the victim perhaps feels they were abused but the accused never actually did anything wrong. And each allegation certainly needs to be checked for veracity. But you've gotta create a system where people who've been victims aren't scared away from coming forward.
  • You Play to Win the Game, mweb08, BSLZackKiesel and 2 others like this

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,361 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

It's not about him.  If he resigns, then it would begin to establish a precedent that anyone who has had proven (or highly supported) sexual harassment claims against them should resign.  The next guy who has this come out, would then have more pressure on them to resign.  Which I think is a good thing.  People who do act this way shouldn't be in charge of anything.

That would be a great ideal to have, but it would have to apply to both political parties for it to work. 

I understand you're talking about setting a precedent, so that would be a first, but it's a little unreasonable to expect someone to resign and open his spot up for competition from the other party when that party has two people with much worse allegations against them that refuse to resign or end their campaign. 

But sure, Franken can achieve some sort of moral high ground for how he responded to doing bad things (he's already responded in a much better way than the two aforementioned people), and that may be the right thing to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=