Photo

Cosby, O'Reilly/Ailes, Weinstein, Spacey...

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

... does anything surprise you anymore?

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:26 AM

Is it surprising that powerful men used their position to assault and dominate younger, attractive men/women? No. But what is surprising is that it went on for so long without being put out there in the media like it is now.

• The Epic likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

Brett Ratner now too. I suspect Weinstein might have been a tipping point and we'll now see a flood of revelations about people, some dating back decades. If someone as powerful as Weinstein in the entertainment industry can't hide behind his position to assault and harass others, no one can.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

I'm curious to see if we start seeing more timely accusations.

I'm in no way discounting those that don't come forward for a long time.  I think it's easy to understand and sympathize with why people remain quiet and that's not a knock on anyone's character or truthfulness.  But with the greater awareness now and greater support for the accusers, I think we may see more near real-time response to these things when they happen.  So then not only will the perpetrator's reputation be in question, but there may be real legal ramifications.

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

Dustin Hoffman

https://www.theringe...ment-accusation

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

Why people get surprised just because they are movie stars is beyond me. Sexual assault happens everywhere all the time. They aren’t above that.

If we can have a president cheat on his wife and blow a load all over her in the Oval Office, it can happen anywhere and to anyone. Even the things that were once sacred aren’t anymore.

It’s unfortunate. Just hope that people come forward as soon as it happens and stops these pieces of shit before they do it to more people and ruin several peoples lives.
  • Markus likes this

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

Lewinsky wasn't sexual assault. Consenting adults. Still a powerful man involved, so some similarities there, but don't have the unwanted or forced nature of these other cases which are assaults. Other Clinton accusations in the past (from what I recall) did seem to have more of those hallmarks. The Lewinsky case certainly was inappropriate, but I don't think it's the same sexual assault type deal.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

Pretty ironic now, but in Season 1 Frank Underwood had a fitting line in one of his asides. I'm probably paraphrasing, but it was "Everything is about sex, except for sex. Sex is about power."

#9 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

Is it surprising that powerful men used their position to assault and dominate younger, attractive men/women? No. But what is surprising is that it went on for so long without being put out there in the media like it is now.

I think it's fair to say that people feel more comfortable coming forward when other people come forward with them. Not alone, and whatnot. 

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:28 PM

Lewinsky wasn't sexual assault. Consenting adults. Still a powerful man involved, so some similarities there, but don't have the unwanted or forced nature of these other cases which are assaults. Other Clinton accusations in the past (from what I recall) did seem to have more of those hallmarks. The Lewinsky case certainly was inappropriate, but I don't think it's the same sexual assault type deal.

I’m sorry...I didn’t try to imply Clinton assaulted her.

I was just saying that if the president is capable of being scum than anyone can.

(Btw, I doubt he is the only politician or even president that has done this..we just know he did, that’s all)

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

I think it's fair to say that people feel more comfortable coming forward when other people come forward with them. Not alone, and whatnot.

Yep...but I also think it’s fair to wonder if people start to pile on and lie or if they are telling the truth...or, something in between.

Btw, every single person very well may be telling the truth but once the accusations start, you know there are scummy people out there that would lie about that to get some money.

#12 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:25 AM

If we can have a president cheat on his wife and blow a load all over her in the Oval Office, it can happen anywhere and to anyone.

Okay, this may be the single most greatest line in this sites history.

Jokes aside, what strikes me the most that these women/men have felt the need to keep their 'encounters' under wraps for so long out of fear of being outcast.  And it's certainly not just in the entertainment industry.  It's gotta be going on in countless industries that most of us don't see/experience.  It really makes you think about the juvenile way that some people treat/respect others.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#13 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

All those rumors about Louis CK are true.  https://www.nytimes....misconduct.html

@fuzydunlop

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

Dammit.

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

I feel like that story has been out there for a few years now. I always wondered why nobody ever brought it up.

#16 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

Listening to the radio they keep saying music industry is next.

#17 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

Listening to the radio they keep saying music industry is next.

Kesha's lawsuit with "Dr. Luke" may have been a year too early.

I read about the Louis CK shit before, just had wished it weren't true. You never know with people I guess. No matter how much you may like their work.

#18 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

This goes on in every industry. Some men are just sickos and perverts. No different between the common office building or a major Hollywood studio.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#19 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

And she'll get her wish, it grossed $821 million USD

Gal Gadot will only be ‘Wonder Woman’ again if Brett Ratner is out

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

http://deadline.com/...ges-1202205889/

Louis C.K. says allegations are true and makes an apology.  He's getting ripped for the apology but I think it's fine.  Doesn't absolve anything, but I don't think it's a half-hearted apology.  It's sounds weird to read it, but it's written in the exact way that he talks.  I think he's basically saying that he thought at the time that he had consent to do what he did, but now realizes that because of the power dynamic between him and the women that he put them in a position where they didn't feel comfortable saying no, which is very different than saying yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=