#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

The benefits to the program by landing certain recruits in a corrupt manner is a problem for me.

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

The benefits to the program by landing certain recruits in a corrupt manner is a problem for me.

Then you should stop watching college sports..because Auburn, Maryland and anyone else you like/respect is doing it.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

The FBI's got 30k+ employees.  They've got plenty of manpower to go after things like this.  I bet they look at lots of smaller things that seem inconsequential as well compared to the headline issues of the day, such as insurance fraud, credit card fraud, etc.  The FBI is responsible for investigating lots of stuff and this scandal is absolutely the type of case they should be pursuing.

• DJ MC likes this

#44 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

Of course it's something they should be pursuing. The ultimate hope would be them exposing and completely bringing down the corrupt NCAA organization .

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

If you guys woke up this morning and found out MD was one of the schools mentioned in this, how much would you care?

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

I'd be really disappointed.  It would impact my mood.  I wouldn't be able to pass it off as "business as usual" for all NCAA teams and we just happened to get caught.

I don't think this is as bad as the Louisville scandal where they were supplying minors with booze and hookers.  But I think it's as bad as stuff like we saw with Miami and that booster paying tons of players.  The reason this scandal involves the FBI is because of the source of the money, seems to be the money was obtained fraudulently or illegally, beyond just the place it ends up being outside of NCAA rules.

#47 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

ESPN: Louisville's Rick Pitino tells staff he expects to lose his job

Sounds like it's happening today.

@BSLZackKiesel

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

I'd be really disappointed.  It would impact my mood.  I wouldn't be able to pass it off as "business as usual" for all NCAA teams and we just happened to get caught.

I don't think this is as bad as the Louisville scandal where they were supplying minors with booze and hookers.  But I think it's as bad as stuff like we saw with Miami and that booster paying tons of players.  The reason this scandal involves the FBI is because of the source of the money, seems to be the money was obtained fraudulently or illegally, beyond just the place it ends up being outside of NCAA rules.

Would you stop rooting for them?  Would you stop watching them?

What would you really be upset about?

For example, It would bother me because Duke would likely suffer as a program...they would lose a lot more and not get the talent, at least for a while.  That would be my issue more than some moral issue where I am supposed to pretend that there is no scandal or corruption happening everywhere.

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

Would you stop rooting for them?  Would you stop watching them?

What would you really be upset about?

For example, It would bother me because Duke would likely suffer as a program...they would lose a lot more and not get the talent, at least for a while.  That would be my issue more than some moral issue where I am supposed to pretend that there is no scandal or corruption happening everywhere.

No, I'd still be a fan and follow the team.  Depending on the details I probably would call for a change in coaching staff.  I'd be upset that the coaches couldn't work within the rules of the NCAA.  I don't think paying players $100k to come to your school is a minor offense like sending a text message outside of the time period where you are allowed to send text messages.

The bottom-line that the team would likely face stiff penalties, ruining a few seasons before the ever begin and likely having negative carryover effect even after the penalties are paid would also be a big negative.  It's obviously not as easy to enjoy following a team when they are bad or, worse, on probation and not allowed to be on TV or make the postseason.

I'm still a Terp, and I'll always support the University and the basketball team.  But depending on the details of the scandal I might want to have a completely clean slate, which could be limited to just firing or punishing an assistant coach or could go all the way up to me wanting to see the President and all the Regents get fired.    If what happened at Penn State happened at Maryland, I'd want everyone from the individual sport fired (and possibly arrested), the athletics department leadership fired (and possibly arrested) and the University leadership fired (and possible arrested).  But I'd support the new people eventually hired to fill those roles and cheer for the players left behind.

#50 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

This sounds juicy but what's really going to happen here?  A couple of assistants and advisors might do some brief time and pay back some restitution.  Maybe the NCAA enforces stricter regulation.

It's illegal because federal funds were involved.  Had that not been the case, it would just be a violation of NCAA rules.

Guys losing jobs is probably the juiciest part of this.

@Miller192

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

NCAA sanctions will follow for most of these schools, I would imagine.  Sounds like Pitino is already on his way out, which is about as huge of a result as could possibly happen, IMO.

You're right that FBI is only involved because of the source of the funds and the way they were fraudulently used.  Had it just been money from a booster or even the companies, then it would only be an NCAA issue.

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

Miller192, on 27 Sept 2017 - 11:01, said:
This sounds juicy but what's really going to happen here? A couple of assistants and advisors might do some brief time and pay back some restitution. Maybe the NCAA enforces stricter regulation.

It's illegal because federal funds were involved. Had that not been the case, it would just be a violation of NCAA rules.

Guys losing jobs is probably the juiciest part of this.

Are assistant coaches going to go away for a bunch of kids and their head coaches. People talk in these situations. The FBI has essentially said this is the tip of the iceberg. This could ruin a number of programs and name head coaches. Could also completely reform the NCAA.

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

Are assistant coaches going to go away for a bunch of kids and their head coaches. People talk in these situations. The FBI has essentially said this is the tip of the iceberg. This could ruin a number of programs and name head coaches. Could also completely reform the NCAA.

Right, the threat of real punishment - jail time and fines - for the assistant coaches could get them to spill the beans on everything that goes on moreso than simple NCAA punishment or even a show-cause penalty.

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

Get the street guys to give up the Kingpin.

What's funny is the head guy in this was apparently someone known as the suit guy and he tried to get a free suit back from Dominique Wilkins and got his ass whooped for it.

Just funny that this is the shady guy behind this.

#55 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

Interim Louisville president Greg Postel says there will be a press conference at 1. Pitino, Jurich won't be there, he says.

#56 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

https://twitter.com/...061196735090688

#57 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

I'll give you that a couple of head coaches are going to get swept up.  However, these guys probably do a better job of isolating themselves for any potential mess.

@Miller192

#58 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

I mean, really, it does happen everywhere. 

I'm hoping this ends with the crumbling of the NCAA, though I'm sure that won't be the endgame.

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

Unless DOJ can somehow prove the NCAA was abetting all this, then they aren't going anywhere. Too much money being made for anyone to want such a drastic change. Sounds like the feds are only focused on the individuals involved.

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

https://twitter.com/...061196735090688

I thought they may allow Pitino to step down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=