• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#21 TerpInTheSouth

TerpInTheSouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

Totally agree with you Mike, the late '80's were dark years for Maryland sports and I have no desire to revisit them.

I'm actually torn about Duke.  I have had issues with Coach K for a long time (he's obviously one of the greatest coaches ever) and I would take a certain amount of pleasure in seeing anything underhanded his program would be involved in exposed.  With that, however, I think the damage to the sport overall, which it going to take an yet to be determined hit over this scandal, wouldn't be worth it.  K, and therefore Duke, are one of the symbols of college basketball.  If that brand got seriously tarnished, it would do severe damage to the sport, which I love more than I dislike Duke.

• Mike B likes this

#22 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

This is strictly my opinion, and I don't know if TV ratings or popularity polls indicate the same, but I think the quality of the product in college basketball has really declined over the past decade or so. It's to the point where I just don't watch anything outside of MD games and March Madness (and even with MM I'm not glued to the screen for hours on end like I used to be). Maybe it's the advent of the one-and-done era, maybe it's the AAU influence taking over, maybe it's just me, but I just don't enjoy it like I used to.

But still, I love the Terps, so I hope this isn't really as widespread as some are intimating, such that it pretty much takes the whole sport down. And I agree with Jim, as much as I personally despise K/dook from a competitive standpoint, having them involved in this will certainly hit the game at its core more than any other name I can think of.

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

Darren HeitnerVerified account @DarrenHeitner

Sources: Basketball agency ASM Sports was raided today. FBI had warrant, took Andy Miller's computer.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

I hope the head's of these programs ultimately fall for this. BS to leave the assistants out to dry. I'm sure intentionally to insulate the coaches, but I hope they can tie it in somehow.
  • Mike B likes this

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

This shit should be real good. Don't let me down feds

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:03 AM

http://www.espn.com/...l-investigation

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

This is like any other scandal. It's naive to think this type of stuff isn't happening everywhere, all the time. When money is involved, corruption is as well.

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:10 AM

I hope the head's of these programs ultimately fall for this. BS to leave the assistants out to dry. I'm sure intentionally to insulate the coaches, but I hope they can tie it in somehow.

If you want to say that you hired them, so you are ultimately responsible, that's fine.

That being said, I can see how head coaches wouldn't know this is going on. Remember, a lot of asst coaches do the recruiting. Wouldn't be that surprising if someone approached an assistant and said, if you get him here, I will give you X amount of dollars but you have to keep
Your mouth shut.

The head coach can't be everywhere.

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:11 AM

Been pondering one question since reading this story: Would I be willing for Maryland to be caught up in this if Duke was also caught up in it?

I'm really glad Maryland isn't one of the schools listed here, and hope that remains the case. But I'd really love it if Duke was one of the schools taken down. I don't think my Duke hate is quite to the level where I'd be ok with the Terps also facing major punishment, but it's close. I'd definitely feel more schadenfreude over Duke getting busted than I would embarrassment over the Terps being taken down, but the implications of the pending sanctions on Terps basketball would erase that gap.

It's extremely pathetic that this is even a question in your mind.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:13 AM

http://www.espn.com/...ruption-scandal

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:18 AM

Lol

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

There is nothing pathetic about my hatred for Duke basketball.  It's pure and delicious and beautiful.

• Russ, DJ MC, Nigel Tufnel and 1 other like this

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

What's not pathetic is knowing with every fiber of my being that Duke is also paying these top recruits to come to their school and that the sanctimonious Rat knows and approves of it. If his ass goes down it's worth all of CBB going down including MD.

#34 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Rumor around Louisville is that Pitino and AD Tom Jurich might be out by the end of the day.

#35 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

All these programs hands are dirty but it's to what extent. Top 10 players in a class are getting paid and being driven to certain agents by coaches. If you are a fan of one of the schools who consistently get elite talent and think your coaches aren't pretty deep into the shadiness you're delusional.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

There is nothing pathetic about my hatred for Duke basketball. It's pure and delicious and beautiful.

To consider that if your school and your program also goes down, is very much pathetic.

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

IMO all these programs hands are dirty but it's to what extent. Top 10 players in a class are getting paid and being driven to certain agents by coaches. If you are a fan of one of the schools who consistently get elite talent and think your coaches aren't pretty deep into the shadiness you're delusional.

Agreed...it happens everywhere.

They are talking about this on Mike and Mike and the point being made is a good one..doesn't the FBI have better things to do than this?

I really don't think this isn't a big deal anyway. If you recognize college sports for what they are and you understand that the players are exploited, this stuff just doesn't matter.

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

Yeah the FBI shouldn't focus on corruption that is ultimately benefiting rich School donors and Presidents etc.

#39 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

The FBI is concerned with this because it's untaxed money (and also federal scholarship money intended for athletes) going to recruits, coaches, families, etc. Uncle Sam wants his cut.

• SportsGuy likes this

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

Yeah the FBI shouldn't focus on corruption that is ultimately benefiting rich School donors and Presidents etc.

We aren't talking big money here though. That's the thing. 100k was a number thrown out.

Will Cain, who is a lawyer, is talking about this and is talking about how everyone knows that you are part of the FBI that ultimately, you likely have political aspirations. And how do you get your name out there? Catching a big fish (or fishes).

For as much corruption and bullshit as there is in college sports, there is as much (and probably more) in the FBI and politics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=