Photo

What's your favorite thing about Maryland?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:41 PM

I guess this is just for those that live here, but...why do you like it here? Besides, say, family, jobs and sports, what are the little nits and nats about the place that keeps you here?

#2 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

There is a little something for everyone. If you feel like going to the city, or out to the quiet country, you can do it. If you like skiing or hiking the mountains one day, then want to go fishing, or to the beach the next day, you can. You can get to other major cities for a day trip, weekend even, in three hours or less for a little getaway. 

All four actual seasons is nice. Unlike Florida where its hot as hell season, hurricane season, and rainy season. 

And steamed crabs in the summer time of course. 

• Chris B and RShack like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:14 AM

Well, Mike pretty much ended this thread :)

But just to piggyback, definitely love that we get a taste of all 4 seasons.  Right when I'm starting to get tired of the heat, it starts to cool off, and right when I'm starting to get tired of the cold, it starts to warm up.  Pretty much a perfect spot for me climate-wise.  I hate the high humidity of the summer, but that's picking nits.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:24 AM

My friends and family are here

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

Ocean City is probably my favorite thing about MD.

That said I love the MD pride. The flag, the local cuisine: crabcakes, Old Bay, Natty Boh, the local craft brews, etc.

Maryland is a severely underrated state when it comes to those things.

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

Our state flag is a coat of arms!

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

There is a little something for everyone. If you feel like going to the city, or out to the quiet country, you can do it. If you like skiing or hiking the mountains one day, then want to go fishing, or to the beach the next day, you can. You can get to other major cities for a day trip, weekend even, in three hours or less for a little getaway. 

All four actual seasons is nice. Unlike Florida where its hot as hell season, hurricane season, and rainy season. 

And steamed crabs in the summer time of course. 

Yeah, this hits a lot of the highlights.

I like that city, suburbs, rural are all within a close distance...  you can day trip to a lot of different interesting venues.

I do appreciate the change of seasons (winters getting harder though).

The Baltimore Metro has high median income, and post-grad levels...   schools are among the best in the country.

History of being from here, friends, family... that certainly is part of it.

There are only a handful of places where I'd be comfortable living, this is one of them.

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:43 AM

I also love all of the eastern shore. Whenever I drive east across the bay bridge I feel the stress of the western shore just kind of lift off of me.

• SBTarheel and Mike in STL like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

Mike nailed it for me if you exclude family, friends and sports.

#10 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:01 PM

Whenever you are with a group of people out of state and you drop I am from Baltimore Md. they are like oh shit. Whether that is good or bad thoughts from them I don't care and I like it lol. Also the O in the anthem to add to things not said.
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#11 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

I'm sorry, but I don't care where I am, or what I'm doing...I do the "O" in the anthem. And automatically people know where you're from.

I did it at the ACCCG in DC in 2016, and got a whole bunch of, "Oh shit, where do you live?" And I love that feeling. It's hard to describe.

Most of you mentioned my favorite reasons (there's every type of environment here, you get all four seasons, the pride of being from MD).

I love crab feasts, even though I don't eat seafood. LOVE THEM. I just like the whole...newspaper on the table, crushing crabs...the whole science to it. And everybody has a different way to do it and eat it, and every way is the right way. I was at Reter's a while back, and watching people do it, smelling the smells...it's just so Maryland.

I also love the...is it still considered an inferiority complex? Like, I don't agree with it, but I feel like we have this whole, "We'll kick your ass, even though literally everything and everyone says we shouldn't." Kinda like the Ravens and Orioles in 2012, which is what made that year so especially great. It didn't make sense that we're hanging around, but...we're still here. You can't bring us down that easily.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#12 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

I love crab feasts, even though I don't eat seafood. LOVE THEM. I just like the whole...newspaper on the table, crushing crabs...the whole science to it. And everybody has a different way to do it and eat it, and every way is the right way. I was at Reter's a while back, and watching people do it, smelling the smells...it's just so Maryland.

This could probably go in the pet peeves, but I'll put it here.  I am anti Mallet.  Any true Marylander only needs a butter knife and the palm of their hand and they can crack and clean a crab.  Mallets are for out of towners who think it's cool to smash the crab but all it does is makes a mess of the shell.

• Mike in STL likes this

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:44 PM

I'm heading out to eat some crabs right now. Probably the last summer thing we'll do.

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

I'm heading out to eat some crabs right now. Probably the last summer thing we'll do.

Got the wife drunk eh?
  • The Epic likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

Got the wife drunk eh?

This is a 10/10 comment btw

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

I also love the...is it still considered an inferiority complex? Like, I don't agree with it, but I feel like we have this whole, "We'll kick your ass, even though literally everything and everyone says we shouldn't." Kinda like the Ravens and Orioles in 2012, which is what made that year so especially great. It didn't make sense that we're hanging around, but...we're still here. You can't bring us down that easily.

Love this, it's so true. We've got this blue-collar chip on our shoulders about anything and everything, whether it's rational or not.

Also, how has no one mentioned Berger cookies yet?

I'm moving to Arlington in a few weeks (I work in D.C.), my first time living outside of Maryland. Even though I'll be just a few minutes from the border, I know it's going to feel different. Love this state.

@BSLZackKiesel

#17 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

Also, how has no one mentioned Berger cookies yet?

Real talk, I didn't know what Berger cookies were until, maybe, 2010...and I've lived here my whole life.

Same for Royal Farms chicken.

I am better for knowing about them both.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:58 AM

This could probably go in the pet peeves, but I'll put it here.  I am anti Mallet.  Any true Marylander only needs a butter knife and the palm of their hand and they can crack and clean a crab.  Mallets are for out of towners who think it's cool to smash the crab but all it does is makes a mess of the shell.

This. 1,000 likes if I could. 

I will say though, not sure If i mentioned it before in other food threads, but a friend of my dads introduced us to different way that he makes crabs. He's from Jersey. You dip the live crabs in an ice bath to stun them. Then you crack the shell off and clean it out, leaving the claws intact with the rest of the body. While you do this you keep of bottle of whiskey on the table and take a shot every time a crab isn't quite stunned enough and pinches you when you try to take their shell off. 

Anyways, you take a steamer pot and instead water, light beer, vinegar (my mix), you use olive oil, crushed red pepper and fresh herbs like rosemary, basil. thyme, A couple of times during the steaming process you hold the lid on the pot down with your thumbs and give it a good toss, coating the crabs with some exposed meat in the oil and flavorful goodness. 

Pick and eat. Enjoy. Save the oil with the herbs and some crabs remains from the pot and freeze it. Add some to marinara or spaghetti sauce to make it your sauce even better. 

Now I'm not going to say that crabs this way are better than traditional Maryland steamed crabs. But they are damn good, and different. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#19 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:17 AM

Got the wife drunk eh?

@fuzydunlop

#20 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:01 AM

???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=