#61 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

I feel like a US territory shouldn't go six months without anything.

Help these people out.
  • mweb08 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#62 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

What they need is a couple thousand power company guys from all over showing up with their trucks... which happens everywhere in the continental US after a bad storm...  (after Ivan, it was guys from Michigan that got our power back on)...  I guess the need for ships makes it a lot harder...  

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

Got news that the caretaker of my buddy's house in Vieques (who's become a friend of mine himself, was at my wedding) was able to identify himself on a safe list.  Still no communication with him, but they at least know he's safe, or was a couple days ago. 

As far as the house, with power and communication down there hasn't been much they can do to get informed of it's condition.  They were able to find some satellite imagery which looked like the structures were still standing and the roofs were intact.  They have a property with one main two-bedroom house with a kitchen plus two little "casitas" that are basically one-room structures.  The structures are all concrete, except one of the casitas has a wooden roof, but they think that even that may have survived in tact.  Don't know anything else at this point.

As far as the rest of the island, there are basically two towns on the island: Isabel II and Esperanza.  Isabel is the "capital" of island, with the ferry stop, post office, grocery store, etc.  Esperanza is the more touristy side where the main strip with all the bars and restaurants, The Malecon, is located.  It appears that Isabel survived fairly decently but Esperanza got hit really hard.  Most of the places on the Malecon were destroyed.  My friend's house is in that area, though they are up on a hill so I think avoided the flooding that damaged so many properties.

Here's a GoFundMe to support the immediate needs of people on the island if anyone is looking for a place to donate:

https://www.gofundme.com/viequeslove

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...aria/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors