#21 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hey fellas.  Nice of you to ask.  I'm on New Providence Island, which is relatively close to the US in relation to the rest of the Bahamian Island chain.  Looks like the storm is shifting westward, which is good for me and bad for Naples/Tampa. 

We mandatory evac'd the non essential people yesterday.  I'm sheltered at the embassy, which is where I rode out Matthew (direct 145mph hit) so I'll be fine.  Last night was fun, so many parties on the island the night before it gets shitty.  I'm guessing, but if it stays on its projected path, not a sure thing though, we'll get 100ish winds and 4-6 inches of rain.  About 8-10 foot surge.  I'd consider that a huge win.  My house is inland a bit, but it does flood there.  I've got some friends sheltering at my place and watching my pup while I'm at work. 

During Matthew I got really drunk in the embassy, plan on doing that again tonight.  Hopefully we'll maintain power/internet so I can watch Terps/Ravens.  Otherwise I'll be following along on my phone.  Cheers.

• SportsGuy, BSLMikeLowe, Hooded Viper and 3 others like this

@fuzydunlop

#22 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Wow, there's 3 Hurricanes in the Atlantic/Gulf that could make landfall soon. Katia, Irma and Jose.

https://qz.com/10721...atellite-image/

And an earthquake in southern Mexico.  Hemisphere is getting pounded.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#23 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

During Matthew I got really drunk in the embassy, plan on doing that again tonight. Hopefully we'll maintain power/internet so I can watch Terps/Ravens. Otherwise I'll be following along on my phone. Cheers.

Well, here I was, figuring that with a huge storm on the way, Chief McNulty is probably kinda busy right now... leaning on his underlings to ensure they're doing whatever they're s'posed to be doing to get ready... and leaning on his bosses to get the stuff his underlings need to do whatever they're s'posed to be doing...

So, imagine my relief to learn that he's focused on getting drunk and watching football :-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#24 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

During Matthew I got really drunk in the embassy, plan on doing that again tonight. Hopefully we'll maintain power/internet so I can watch Terps/Ravens. Otherwise I'll be following along on my phone. Cheers.
Well, here I was, figuring that with a huge storm on the way, Chief McNulty is probably kinda busy right now... leaning on his underlings to ensure they're doing whatever they're s'posed to be doing to get ready... and leaning on his bosses to get the stuff his underlings need to do whatever they're s'posed to be doing... So, imagine my relief to learn that he's focused on getting drunk and watching football :-)
Chief was busy all week getting ready. We have no assets available so it's twiddling thumbs until our helos come back.

@fuzydunlop

#25 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

Chief was busy all week getting ready. We have no assets available so it's twiddling thumbs until our helos come back.

If you've got some hooch and something to watch football on, well, those sure sound like assets to me    :wink:

But seriously... once the helos come back, then what?   (This is a real question, I have no clue re: the details of what you're gonna be up to...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#26 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

Last year we had Department of State issues last year allowing helos back into country, but 2 years ago after Joaquin we did a lot of search and rescue on the outer islands.  Evacuating people, bringing supplies, surveying damage, etc. 

@fuzydunlop

#27 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:01 AM

One thing I'm noticing - the european model is always right.  It was the only one to peg this storm to head west all week, and it nailed Matthew last year.  I'm going to start taking it more seriously from now on.

@fuzydunlop

#28 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:17 AM

One thing I'm noticing - the european model is always right.  It was the only one to peg this storm to head west all week, and it nailed Matthew last year.  I'm going to start taking it more seriously from now on.

They spend a lot more on theirs than we do on ours (even though we're the ones with hurricanes)... because nobody over here (including me) wants to pay taxes...   

Their model is also way more computationally intensive... I don't know if that's why they release theirs every 6 hours while we do ours every 3 hours, but it might be... modelling weather is pretty much an unsolvable problem, to the point where just seriously trying takes immense computational resources... which mainly means time....

BTW, the planned federal budget cuts NOAA's measly $5.6b budget by 17%.... including a 22% cut to their satellite data division... this would likely kill at least 2 scheduled climate satellites.... one of them is s'posed to do 14 polar orbits per day, which none of them do now... (until I read about it, I never even thought about a polar orbit)...the other one is s'posed to replace an existing one that's working but old and tired and more-or-less obsolete.... it's like a '79 Datsun and they wanna replace it with a new Tesla that can do more tricks better, providing data streams that get scientists excited... somebody should make "Support NOAA" bumper stickers.... hell, even people who hate gov't-in-general still like NOAA...

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

There's currently a tropical storm warning for Atlanta. It's the first time that has ever happened.

@DJ_McCann

#30 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

Jose is going to loop around and head back towards Florida end of next week. Why always on the weekends?

@fuzydunlop

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

McNulty...my wife just showed me a video of somewhere in the Bahamas and all the water was gone but it came back. Did you see that?

#32 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

I didn't, send me the link.

@fuzydunlop

#33 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

So it's down to a category 2? That's good right?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

It was in Long Island. You could walk out onto the sea floor. Crazy shit.

#35 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

USA really had a bunch of little things happen that prevented a disaster. Which is awesome but my concern is the next time. It's natural for people to see this and get a false sense of security and avoid the mandatory evacuation next time.
  • Dupin likes this

#36 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

I think it's more about the storm surge. Sandy was downgraded to a tropical storm but was still pretty destructive because it (she?)brought in a crazy storm surge. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

I didn't, send me the link.

Washington Post: https://www.washingt...m=.a5579a854250

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

Not that there isn't serious damage but pretty much everything good that could happen since Friday has happened.

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

Love the videos of people looting.

Fucking disgraceful people. Should be shot

#40 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

Love the videos of people looting.

Fucking disgraceful people. Should be shot

Which is why people don't want to abandon their homes and will put themselves in danger next time. Despicable human beings
  • SportsGuy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=