#41 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

Beg, borrow, steal the best options I can find and am allowed to afford.

It's not an easy task.  Find better options.

It's not an easy task. Better options are expensive, take up roster space and are hard to get rid of contractually. "Better options" too often aren't better options. I'm not sure Tillman/Miley wont be better options than the crap we might dig up for worse future performance, contracts and/or cost. Not saying Castro should be counted on and we shouldn't have options to back him up. Just think it's naive to think we can dig up better. I guess I'd need some specifics. Other than that  it's a crapshoot for SP. Too often a costly crapshoot imo. 

In the end we have to develop SP. We don't work towards that end by trading away the limited young talent we have. 

Does anybody know if Castro has an option remaining net year? That would make this problem a lot easier. 

#42 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

Without much thought or deep digging...

Masahiro Tanaka (if he opts out), Alex Cobb, Lance Lynn, Matt Moore (if optioned declined), Michael Pineda, Jason Vargas are all names I'd kick tires on at various price points across the market.  That's not an exhaustive list.  Many of these guys are big risks and many of them will be scarily expensive even with that risk.  I think I'm willing to gamble pretty heavily on signing a couple guys and taking one last big run at it in 2018.  If the 3-4 years after that are riddled with bad contracts, I think it's worth the shot at something hopefully special in 2018.

Ok thanks. I don't see the the organization gong after Tanaka. I also doubt we'll see another 4 year SP contract anytime soon after that UJ stinker. I'd love Cobb on a 3 year deal. I thin we'll be outbid. Everybody will want him. Not sure about the others. Not crazy abut Vargas (flyball pitchcer in big parks as I recall and with a premium OF). I'm certainly open to ideas on a case by case basis. Just saying the game/cost/odds/outcome  generally sucks. 

#43 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

It's not an easy task. Better options are expensive, take up roster space and hard to get rid of contractually. "Better options" too often aren't better options. I'm not sure Tillman/Miley wont be better options than the crap we might dig up for worse future performance, contracts and/or cost. Not saying Castro should be counted on and we shouldn't have options to back him up. Just think it's naive to think we can dig up better. I guess I'd need some specifics. Other than that  it's a crapshoot for SP. Too often a costly crapshoot imo. 

In the end we have to develop SP. We don't work towards that by trading away the limited young talent we have. 

Does anybody know f Castro has an option remaining net year? That would make this problem a lot easier. 

Castro is in his final season with a minor league option, and was designated for assignment by the Rockies despite his upside with a 97 mph fastball and a hard slider. The Orioles optioned him to Double-A Bowie.

http://www.baltimore...0407-story.html

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

@fuzydunlop

#44 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:39 PM

Castro is in his final season with a minor league option, and was designated for assignment by the Rockies despite his upside with a 97 mph fastball and a hard slider. The Orioles optioned him to Double-A Bowie.

http://www.baltimore...0407-story.html

Yeah, that gives us a lot less flexibility. He basically slides to the BP if he fails as a SP. 

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

MASN: Miguel Castro would face some challenges as a starting pitcher
http://www.masnsport...ng-pitcher.html

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

K/9: 5.16

BB/9: 3.80

HR/9: 1.09

BABIP: 227

LOB%: 75.2%

#47 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

Here's the problem....just indicative of the entire approach of the O's front office to their starting pitching woes - 

"But it’s not like Castro would have to become dominate against lefty batters. Just better. Last year, Dylan Bundy allowed a batting line of .261/.321/.452 and OPS of .773 versus lefties. For Kevin Gausman, those numbers were .275/.361/.446 and .807."

So all he has to do is be in line with our only two starters of which neither was very good against lefties. This team just sets the bar so freaking low.

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

Look..it’s the 5th starter. The 5th starter is almost always going to have issues.

I don’t believe that Castro can be a starter but he is still very young. Giving him a chance isn’t the worst thing. At least he’s young and you never know how he can develop.

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

K/9: 5.16

BB/9: 3.80

HR/9: 1.09

BABIP: 227

LOB%: 75.2%

Here are those same numbers from another recent Oriole rookie who pitched 74 IP (Castro pitched 66 last year):

K/9: 6.99

BB/9: 3.38

HR/9: 0.84

BABIP: .319

LOB%: 73.1%

I'll give a hint...he is left-handed.

#50 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

Rob I agree. Its just so typical of what we hear out of the O's though. 

So and so are too pricey for the O's.

So and so are not obtainable by the O's.

We just need to be have mid of the road XYZ.

We never hear anything about the O's  really want to improve, get a top notch player, make that risky move with potential big upside.Etc. They always are setting the bar so low except when it comes to trading one of their supposed stars then its they are worth the moon plus.

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

I'd be upset if Castro was penciled in as the 5th starter heading into ST.  There is still time to find more starters for the rotation in free agency, but as of right now he's probably penciled in as #3.  That's terrifying.

#52 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

Much rather watch Castro than Mike Fiers. Castro/Cortes might make a good tandem for 1 SP spot. 

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:28 PM

@masnRoch 28m28 minutes ago

Miguel Castro starting wednesday #orioles

#54 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

@masnRoch 28m28 minutes ago

Miguel Castro starting wednesday #orioles

Good. Lets see what he can do. 

#55 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

Hope we get rained out.....

#56 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:36 AM

I like this guy even if the peripherals don't. I'd like to see more K's less BB's and the GB rate over 50%. Still, love his arm, durability and delivery. He's at a rate to make/exceed 100 innings out of the pen. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:34 AM

I like this guy even if the peripherals don't. I'd like to see more K's less BB's and the GB rate over 50%. Still, love his arm, durability and delivery. He's at a rate to make/exceed 100 innings out of the pen.

And that’s why they need to leave him there.

He doesn’t have the stuff to get through a lineup multiple times but he can carve out a hell of a career doing what he’s doing.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

MASN: For Miguel Castro, giving back begins at home
http://www.masnsport...ns-at-home.html

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner