https://www.camdench...n-miguel-castro

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:28 AM

Still too early to tell. But at least there is some promise there.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

And the lone bright spot in our season...a mediocre young RP with limited fastball command who misses a few more bats than we thought he would.  Hooray?

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

He was an excellent pick up.  Right age, big arm, high ceiling.

Low risk/high reward pick ups are always excellent even if the guy never makes it. 

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

And the lone bright spot in our season...a mediocre young RP with limited fastball command who misses a few more bats than we thought he would.  Hooray?

Things have been bad, but Castro isn't the lone bright spot.  A few other things have gone well.

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

The problem is that how many similar articles could be written saying "well so and so has been pretty much a total failure.'?  Any GM in the world can get one right now and then. The problem with our current GM is that he seems to make that his modus operandi.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

MASN: Catcher Welington Castillo on Miguel Castro’s strong outing
http://www.masnsport...08/catcher.html

#8 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:30 PM

So what are the thoughts on Casro now? Relatively SSS and the peripherals don't like him very much. I'm thinking his arm slot and 2 seamer might lend himself into being an effective GB pitcher and that should be the developmental emphasis. I think there has been some modest improvement with the slider and CH. I think he's a viable SP candidate. 

#9 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

I think he is best served out of the BP. Guys who can come in and provide several shut down innings are valuable. Think if it were a starter that the second and third times through the lineup might show less results.

#10 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

I think he could have an Alfredo Simon year or two then be bad.  

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#11 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

I think he is best served out of the BP. Guys who can come in and provide several shut down innings are valuable. Think if it were a starter that the second and third times through the lineup might show less results.

Gotta get these SP's somewhere Steve. 

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

I think he has legitimate arm talent... but I'd be more excited about keeping him as the 5th - 7th guy in the pen, vs. trying to use him as a starter.

He's had success this year, and as the year is going on - he's contributing in more high leverage situations. His WPA is pretty good.

I bring him back next year, earmarked for initially lower risk situations... and gradually continue to again place him in more difficult situations with performance.

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

He's a legit talent IMO.  He has to put it together but the talent is there.  I would probably prefer to keep him in the pen and see if he can be an 80-100 IP type guy.

He has a good BB rate.  The HR rate is high but not awful.  FIP and xFIP hate him.  The low BABIP is also not likely to be sustainable.

However, I would argue that he has been unlucky in terms of his K rate, much like Bundy was in the first half of the season.

Castro has a swingstr% near 18%, so he is missing bats.  He's throwing 63% of his pitches for strikes.  That is right around the usual league average.  His first pitch str% is right there with the league average rates.  So, he is doing many of things you look for out of a strikeout pitcher but he just isn't getting the Ks.  If he keeps those numbers up, the Ks will go up.

The real key to him is age.  He turns 23 in late December.  He still could fill out his frame a little more and just continue to learn and get better.

He was just an excellent pickup and has a chance to be a really valuable weapon for this team.

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Control is likely gonna be an issue. The per 9s have been fine this year but below avg for his career. When you watch him pitch you see the concern. I expect the walks to rise, hits per 9 to rise, and K rate to rise as its too low right now. All in all I think hes a guy whos been lucky this year. Hes closer to the numbers his FIP says he is.

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

Frankly, using past numbers to judge Castro is probably not fair.

Plain and simple, he got rushed.

He is 22 years old.  He was in Toronto at 19, and then got traded to Colorado at 20.   To use those numbers to project what he will become is not fair.

Still one of the younger guys in baseball, he seems to be settling in.  I think the Orioles will make him a starter and maybe he will bomb, but I put zero credence to what he did in Toronto and especially Colorado

@mikeghg

#16 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

Agree with Mike that the past stats mean little here. Not even sure if the current stats mean all that much. Main reason COL gave up on him was because he was deemed to have an attitude problem and was un-receptive to coaching. Maybe that label and maturity will help him progress now in a new environment. Seems to me his SL and CH have gotten better in what little time he's been here. Along with 4s and 2s that to me is a potential SP. Maybe a very good one. I think you have to explore that for next year. Not really seeing an issues where control will be a problem for him but I do agree he's probably been "lucky" to some extent this year. Again it really depends on how he progresses if that means anything. 

#17 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:23 PM

CA I understand your point and yes the O's need much better starting pitching. But 2018 is it for this core. I want to see them try it with some real proven SP and not a few retreads and shots on guys like Castro. 

Want to work to extend him out and see during next year? I am fine with that. But no way I want them going into the season with ANY thinking he could be a starting contributor.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

CA I understand your point and yes the O's need much better starting pitching. But 2018 is it for this core. I want to see them try it with some real proven SP and not a few retreads and shots on guys like Castro.

Want to work to extend him out and see during next year? I am fine with that. But no way I want them going into the season with ANY thinking he could be a starting contributor.

I don't want him in the rotation but trying him as a 5th starter isn't the end of the world.

It's better than signing someone, who likely isn't and won't be any better, for 5+ million.

#19 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

I don't want him in the rotation but trying him as a 5th starter isn't the end of the world.

It's better than signing someone, who likely isn't and won't be any better, for 5+ million.

Rob I totally agree with that with one problem. IF you sign some retread that does'nt work out then you have Castro to fall back on. If you go in with Castro and he can't start then what the heck do you do?

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

Rob I totally agree with that with one problem. IF you sign some retread that does'nt work out then you have Castro to fall back on. If you go in with Castro and he can't start then what the heck do you do?

You sign/trade for a retread?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=