Photo

BSL: Ranking The Baltimore Orioles Top 40 Prospects Right Now (Summer 2017)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 GregGoldstein

GregGoldstein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:54 AM

BSL: Ranking The Baltimore Orioles Top 40 Prospects Right Now

http://baltimorespor...ects-right-now/

• BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas, Mike B and 1 other like this

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:09 AM

DJ Stewart. Ugh

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Great work from Greg here...

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

DJ Stewart. Ugh

And Sedlock (right now), Harvey's health, Hart... those four in-particular are holding the system back currently given where they were selected.

At-least Harvey is back on a mound, and it's too early to write off Sedlock - especially if there has been health issues.

Stewart has done enough to get back on my radar a bit, but recognize questions remain about his ceiling. Can give him a bit of a pass due to him changing his stance... but still more production expected when you are that advanced college bat. Hopefully he finishes strong.

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:42 AM

There's 40 of them? :)
@BSLMikeRandall

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

The Hanifee note was encouraging.

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:57 PM

Good stuff Greg, thanks.

Couple uninformed comments....

Mountcastle: I know the Orioles have said he'll have to play his way off the position and there's the other article where he thinks he's a big league SS....but at some point you have to decide...if you want him in the majors....what position he's going to play.  Standing at SS is not the same thing as playing SS.  i can stand at SS.  I'm 50 and left-handed and if my shoulder didn't hurt so much, I wouldn't embarrass myself...but so what...that doesn't really make me a SS.

I think you build the nuances of any position with experience and while some experience certainly translates across the board, figure out the position and let him work there everyday.  Heck...if you thought he was a versatile DH bat....do that....DH...play some SS...3B...2B...LF...

They've done this with Hays (CF) and Reyes (3B) too.....likely positions are Mountcastle (LF/DH), Hays (RF) and Reyes (1B)...current positions feel better in rankings based on positional perception, but there may be no reality to that positional value.

Sedlock, DJStewart: disappointing these guys haven't fared better.  You really hope you are drafting the quality tools that translate well and project into the roster sooner than later...too soon to give up on either, but ugh.

Chris Lee.  One of the challenges I think Orioles fans face is some misconception of what excellent looks like.  Certainly had some unique success in terms of players at the ML level, but Chris Lee was largely reported as a significant add (maybe the best prospecty player DD had traded for?) and these guys just may not be that good.  Hurts the rest of the list too.

Anyway, interesting to see some guys moving around and developing along some positive trends.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

Sounds like Sedlock has been hurt for all or most of the year. That sucks and he could be headed for surgery for all we know but it makes me less upset about his performance this year.

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Just looking at the Mountcastle thread....they moved him to 3B?

So here's the question I have.  If you looked at someone like Matt Chapman from the A's, he's big power profile and a 'future GG winner'.

We know the Orioles are going to need to rely on defensive profiles to be consistent in run prevention (never have the best SPs)....so if you could add Chapman....would you? ...and find Mountcastle a different defensive home? or do we think he can play enough defense to let the bat play.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

So here's the question I have.  If you looked at someone like Matt Chapman from the A's, he's big power profile and a 'future GG winner'.

We know the Orioles are going to need to rely on defensive profiles to be consistent in run prevention (never have the best SPs)....so if you could add Chapman....would you? ...and find Mountcastle a different defensive home? or do we think he can play enough defense to let the bat play.

As Greg said in his article, and I've said a few times... I think he's going to end up at 2nd. 

I'm surprised that they've moved him to 3rd right now... don't see it.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

So here's the question I have. If you looked at someone like Matt Chapman from the A's, he's big power profile and a 'future GG winner'.

The As aren't trading one of their best prospects. No logic there.

That being said, you get the talent you can get and sort it out later

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

MLB.com: Top Prospect List
http://m.mlb.com/pro...s/2017?list=bal

#13 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

DJ Stewart. Ugh

Well with all due respect to Greg, I think he's got him a bit low on this list.  

The MLB list had him at 18, which I think is a bit more appropriate.  Still not where you'd prefer a recent 1st rounder to be, but he's had a respectable year at AA as 23-year old.  And he's done this while totally re-vamping his stance from that low crouch he had in college. 

Not sure he profiles as a MLB starter, but he seems likely to have a floor as a good OBP 4th outfielder.  He works counts well and has a great BA/OBP differential, while providing a little pop.  Seems like a poor man's Nick Swisher.  There's some value in that.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Bump for the Myers write-up.

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:28 PM

Bump for the Myers write-up.

....and if we believe Greg, that's a really nice job by the Rays FO.

#16 GregGoldstein

GregGoldstein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

Hello Glen,

The guys in the late teens and into the 20s are pretty interchangeable, but when I watch Stewart I just don't see the upside in his profile, which led me to put him below a few workable prospective relievers.

Stewart is fixed his stance a bit, but it still limits him in his ability to hit for contact. He also has fringe power, but not enough to overcome his below-average defense and arm in LF. I obviously don't know him personally, so this is all based off what I see.

Overall, a LF, pretty much DH only hitting prospect who projects worse when facing quality stuff because of his longer swing and average raw abilities. Stats in the minors can always be a bit deceiving, alothough it's good to see he's hitting better. But really there's just not that much upside there. I agree with you about the 4th OF profile, but we differ in that I think it's his ceiling while you think it's his floor

#17 GregGoldstein

GregGoldstein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

....and if we believe Greg, that's a really nice job by the Rays FO.

Its unusual that a team would choose to acquire an arm in short season ball so they must have saw his considerable upside like I did, because while Beckham has struggled to find his footing in the majors, he was starting to turn it around and it's a move they didn't have to make because I believe he's controllable for 2018, 2019 as well.

Myers did just have a great first start for Tampa's short season club, striking out 7 hitters in 5 IP, allowing only 1 ER. Obviously, he's a long ways away from even being considered an option at the MLB level, so the O's were willing to deal him for sudden help.

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Its unusual that a team would choose to acquire an arm in short season ball so they must have saw his considerable upside like I did, because while Beckham has struggled to find his footing in the majors, he was starting to turn it around and it's a move they didn't have to make because I believe he's controllable for 2018, 2019 as well.

Myers did just have a great first start for Tampa's short season club, striking out 7 hitters in 5 IP, allowing only 1 ER. Obviously, he's a long ways away from even being considered an option at the MLB level, so the O's were willing to deal him for sudden help.

Hadn't checked back in on this.  

Greg, hopefully you read my comment as a compliment.

As I've said elsewhere, it seems obvious to me that the Rays weren't planning on offering arbitration (for whatever their reasons were)....because that's the ONLY reason you move Beckham in the manner they did.

I was suggesting that they were looking for the right 'hidden value' for the trade where the Orioles don't really blink, because it's going to be last second.

Asking for a guy like Sedlock, I'd guess, would have scuttled a trade because of the perception of Sedlock.  Myers isn't even listed by mlb.com as top 30 for the Rays but I'd guess they are evaluating some of the same potential that you had in bumping him up the Orioles rankings in the 40-list above.

#19 Cumberbundy

Cumberbundy
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:58 AM

Fenter & Bishop should be working their way up. Nice outings recently from each.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

This is as good a place as any to post this. Duq was on with Melewski on the Pre -Game show this afternoon talking about how several guys should be in the top 100 and the overall farm should be ranked higher. He also made the case that the minor league development has been underrated and pointed to Mancini, Schoop, Machado, Joseph, Britton, Gausman, Bundy, etc. are all from the farm. Is that a true statement by DD? Have we been too hard on the minor league development aspects of his tenure here? Austin Hays, Mountcastle and several others seem like they will be able to help us soon.

MASN: Is Ryan Mountcastle headed for top 100?
http://www.masnsport...or-top-100.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=