Photo

Golf: Tips, Equipment, Your Game?, etc...

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

BTW, I love the question.  Its not, Golf-how GOOD are you?  lol  

• JamesGallden likes this

#42 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

BTW, I love the question.  Its not, Golf-how GOOD are you?  lol  

Haha, no one is good at golf. 

I play 3-4 times per week, obviously it's really helped knock my scores down.  Around the greens is getting better for me, that's just from playing, but like I said above my scoring shots are terrible.  

#43 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:16 AM

Incredibly bad.  I'm an OK athlete who has been able to pick up most sports fairly well, but never been able to figure out golf. 

My best score was around 105, which I shot last year.  I played a fair amount pre-kids, but now I play exactly once a year.  We usually give my dad a golf outing for father's day, and he, my brother, my nephew and myself play a foursome.  We usually try to go in the middle of the week and start around 10 AM so we're not holding anyone else up.  Because as bad as I am, I beat them all pretty easily.

#44 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Incredibly bad.  I'm an OK athlete who has been able to pick up most sports fairly well, but never been able to figure out golf. 

My best score was around 105, which I shot last year.  I played a fair amount pre-kids, but now I play exactly once a year.  We usually give my dad a golf outing for father's day, and he, my brother, my nephew and myself play a foursome.  We usually try to go in the middle of the week and start around 10 AM so we're not holding anyone else up.  Because as bad as I am, I beat them all pretty easily.

Yeah man the kids really don't allow much playing.  I work for my dad and I got him into golf, so I get to golf during work.  ;)

#45 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

Went to golf galaxy today.  Bought a used driver, 3 wood and 3 hybrid (lefty) for $160 total.

Pretty stoked as they're replacing  my dad's old clubs which look like they were made in the 80s 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

Is just the hybrid lefty or are you lefthanded and all the clubs are lefty?  If it's the former, you may struggle hitting that hybrid.  Swing it like an iron.

I (possibly also?) golf lefthanded.  I've found some really good deals on clearance at both Callaway and TaylorMade's preowned club site to replace clubs from my set that have broken, usually cheaper than getting a club re-shafted.  I've also bought used clubs from 3balls.com and just off of eBay and have always been happy with the condition.

#47 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

All the clubs are lefty -- I golf left handed. 

@bopper33

#48 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

Need an iron set now.  And what's up with sand and gap wedges not coming with an iron set?  Doesn't seem fair. 

@bopper33

#49 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

Lefties represent. Golf clubs devalue pretty quickly. You should be able to find an iron set no more than 5 or 6 years old from say the 4 iron down for 100 or less

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Yea I was sorta shocked at Golf Galaxy that the lefty iron sets used were like $550 but apparently these were over a grand new.

They had exactly two lefty sets of irons there -- he told me to check back in a week lol.  May just order online.

@bopper33

#51 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

Yea I was sorta shocked at Golf Galaxy that the lefty iron sets used were like $550 but apparently these were over a grand new.

They had exactly two lefty sets of irons there -- he told me to check back in a week lol. May just order online.

Yeah check all around. I got Taylor Made Burners used at 5 years old for $150.

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

Need an iron set now.  And what's up with sand and gap wedges not coming with an iron set?  Doesn't seem fair. 

When I bought my set they offered PW, AW, SW.  I got the PW and AW, but not the SW.  I haven't seen many SW from sets that have the right bounce that you'd want to get through the sand consistently.  I bought a nice separate sand wedge as well as a 60 deg and eventually a 64 deg.  I hit my irons way too far, so needed the 64 degree for shots inside 100.  I struggle mightily with my target line when trying to swing less than full speed.

#53 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

The 3 hybrid I bought was a Taylor Made Burner.

Can't wait to go to the range tomorrow and try these puppies out.

I could probably play now with my old ass irons and putter but I may just wait and complete the set before I start playing regularly, signing up for lessons, etc. 

@bopper33

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

When Golfsmith was going out of business, I bought a set of Mizuno irons that were about 2 years old...The set would have been around 1400ish brand new...got them for $275.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:49 PM

They had exactly two lefty sets of irons there -- he told me to check back in a week lol.  May just order online.

Used M2's 4-AW at Taylormadepreowned for $320.  25% off all left-handed clubs, actually.  Use code "left". 

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Has anyone tried new grips on their clubs. I'm thinking about going to midsized vs standard. I have a 60 degree wedge with a midsize grip that feels really good when I swing it. The only thing is I really don't take full swings with the 60 degree club. I use it inside 75 yards with no more than a 75% swing.

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Has anyone tried new grips on their clubs. I'm thinking about going to midsized vs standard. I have a 60 degree wedge with a midsize grip that feels really good when I swing it. The only thing is I really don't take full swings with the 60 degree club. I use it inside 75 yards with no more than a 75% swing.

Had to get a new grip on my driver.  I prefer the feel of it vs the original manufacturers one.

#58 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

I went all midsize about 4 years ago.  I couldn't play anything else now.

@Miller192

#59 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Has anyone here tried ShorPar4?

Its a monthly subscription box that I have been getting for about 2 years now.  I pay $40 bucks a month.

Most of the stuff gets sent back but I've gotten some of my favorite shirts from these boxes.

@Miller192

#60 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

Careful with this, a larger grip can cause some unwanted fading.. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=