Photo

Golf: Tips, Equipment, Your Game?, etc...

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:13 PM

That's pretty damn good though Nickle. I'm surprised... you don't exactly have the demeanor that best suits golfers. No offense.

#22 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:57 PM

That's pretty damn good though Nickle. I'm surprised... you don't exactly have the demeanor that best suits golfers. No offense.

LOL. My grandfather  started taking me golfing when I was 12 or 13. When it was still an old mans game. Absolutely loved it from the get go. I have slowed down the last few years. I played a lot in my 20s, but havent played once this year.  Overall, there pretty much isn't a sport I wont play though. Im all about  athletic competition. 

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

But what do you do when you hit a bad shot? Or better yet, when you check Gameday on your phone and see that Bud Norris just gave up another home run?

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

But what do you do when you hit a bad shot? Or better yet, when you check Gameday on your phone and see that Bud Norris just gave up another home run?

Ha. I wish I could tell you I threw my clubs in the water or something, but I just curse at myself and move on. Im very demanding of myself, so I realize melting down is worst case scenario. 

#25 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

Figure a place for anyone wants to chat about anything to help their golf game. Equipment they like, don't like, etc...

I mentioned in the Outing thread about wanting to work on my short game. Those shots that just miss the green by a 5 or 10 yards that should be up and down for par turn into a double bogey fast for me. I watched some videos, read some articles, went to Mt. Pleasant to practice pitching from 20-30 yards out. 

I take 6 balls and the goal is to land each one within a 10 ft. circle. Pros try to get each one within a club length. I'm not that good. I'm basically getting on average 1 out of 6 in the desired target. Which means more often than not two putting for bogey. If I'm way off target, 3 putts, or chipping back on, then two putting, hence the double bogey. 

Things I try to remember: Ball positioned on front heel, hands and shaft leaning forward, weight forward, don't decelerate on the downswing. 

I swear I'll hit one shot that looks real good, not change a thing, swing the same distance, the next shot will go half as far, not change a thing, the next shot will go over the green. 

Are there any short game masters in the house? I swear this costs me 10 strokes a round.

@BSLMikeRandall

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

I'm a pretty good bump and runner but I definitely scoop, rather than strike, the ball.  I pretty typically get about 30% carry and 70% run using this method, and I have decent distance control using the mindset that I swing with the same strength that I estimate it would take me to underhand toss the ball the same distance I want it to travel in the air.  I don't get much loft with this, even using my gap wedge which is I think 50 degrees, and if I need to go up and land a chip on an elevated green, or to carry a relatively long distance with little room on the green to roll out, it doesn't work at all.

My last round I tried a more professional chipping method.  Used my 60 deg lob wedge, kept my front arm straight and hinged my back arm keeping it as tight to my body as I could and really tried to strike the ball rather than the ground first..  Definitely got more loft which means less run out after landing, and I had solid distance control especially considering it was the first time I tried it.  I still wasn't able to generate any check to really stop the ball as it lands, which is ideally what I'd like to develop, but I think I'll keep trying this way a bit.

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

I'm working hard to fix the slice on my tee shot.  I've always had it, but what's weird is that my irons are the opposite, I draw those very consistently, have to work to keep them straight.

I realized recently that when I take back my driver, I'm pretty much instantly rotating my bottom hand so the palm turns skyward, which opens the club face.  I don't know how I never realized this before.  I made a change on the range, really concentrating on keeping the back/bottom hand closed and not opening the clubface, and it worked great.  I hit buckets twice last week and the vast majority of my drives had eliminated the slice, even had a nice draw on it.  And what was really neat, is if I then went back and opened my wrist a bit on the backswing like I used to do (though not as pronounced) I could hit it with a slight fade. 

So I was really excited to try this new swing out on the course, even deluding myself that I'd be able to shape my drives however I wanted.  But I was a nightmare off the tee all round.  Hit about 12 drives, most of them still had a huge slice though I did mix in a couple double-crosses that I pulled and hooked.  So at least there was some change.  Just need to keep at it, I definitely think I've stumbled into a much better swing, just need to be able to get it down consistently.  I think I'm either subconsciously still opening the face on some swings while also overcompensating and overly closing it on others.  Really optimistic that I can figure it out over the remainder of my season, inaccuracy off the tee is the biggest weakness of my game.  I think I could take 3-4 strokes off my handicap (currently 17.0 based on this season's rounds) if I figure this out.

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

I've fooled around with so many things to make my short game better. I feel like its as good as it's ever been now but thats not saying much. Im playing without much forward shaft lean. Staying neutral with the ball more forward in the stance. The key is a shallow angle of attack. Gives me more room for error. Instead of fatting or thinning balls my misses are still within 20 feet usually.

Now my putting is a different story. I can't get the ball rolling end over end like I want and Im lost with what to do.

#29 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

Figure a place for anyone wants to chat about anything to help their golf game. Equipment they like, don't like, etc...

I mentioned in the Outing thread about wanting to work on my short game. Those shots that just miss the green by a 5 or 10 yards that should be up and down for par turn into a double bogey fast for me. I watched some videos, read some articles, went to Mt. Pleasant to practice pitching from 20-30 yards out. 

I take 6 balls and the goal is to land each one within a 10 ft. circle. Pros try to get each one within a club length. I'm not that good. I'm basically getting on average 1 out of 6 in the desired target. Which means more often than not two putting for bogey. If I'm way off target, 3 putts, or chipping back on, then two putting, hence the double bogey. 

Things I try to remember: Ball positioned on front heel, hands and shaft leaning forward, weight forward, don't decelerate on the downswing. 

I swear I'll hit one shot that looks real good, not change a thing, swing the same distance, the next shot will go half as far, not change a thing, the next shot will go over the green. 

Are there any short game masters in the house? I swear this costs me 10 strokes a round.

You sound like me.

I'm either decent with short game (for me) or decent off the tee (for me). Can't seem to put that together.

And then putting is a whole other issue. Kind of a microcosm of what you just explained. Sometimes I sink a good 8-12 putt and look like I know what I'm doing, then next time I don't hit it hard enough or hit it too hard.

What I need to do is get to the point where it's all muscle memory. Right now I'm thinking too much each swing or not thinking enough. Not playing often hurts too. Been out 5 times this year and it's more than I've probably played in the last 4 years. I imagine playing at least once a week is how you improve...and there's no way the wife or the budget will allow for that.

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

I don't think slicing accurately describes what I was doing -- it was more than slicing. Anyway, bought a PGX offset driver and that seemed to have helped with the slice a good bit. Actually hitting fairways now.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#31 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

I can't tell you how important staying in your posture is for me.

I had a pretty bad round Friday where I couldn't do anything but hit these annoying ass push fades. I would've shot a million if I didn't have an exceptional day of getting up and down. I spent a good range session working on it and finally got it working after throwing a couple of 5 irons down range.

I set up a quick video and saw that my upper body was sliding forward at the start of my transition. This is my death move but I couldn't feel myself doing it.

It's so simple to fix too. Stupid ass game.

@Miller192

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

I recently took a short game lesson.

One thing he stressed was to always keep the weight on your front foot. Also, ball position is key. He said line it up with the inside of your right shoulder (if you are right handed). Also, keep your lower body still, even if the shot is further away from the green.

I have to say, just those tips have helped him. I'm a pretty good putter but chipping was an issue.

My biggest issue is 100-140 yards, especially off the tee.

I just have nothing there. Used to but not anymore. My right hand plays into my swing too much. I scoop the ball more and end up getting no distance. Off the tee with those short clubs, I just shank the hell out of it.

#33 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

I'm very volatile, my HC says 9.2 but I don't think I am.  Shot a 38 a few weeks ago, then a 47, then a 42 last night.  I mainly play 9 holes.  

I hit the ball a long way so I usually have less than 100 yards in to most par 4's.  100 and in I'm really pretty bad.  

You...

• SportsGuy likes this

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

I've shot a 99 exactly once.

Otherwise I'm usually in the 105 range.

#35 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

Haha. 

https://www.facebook...03353223199102/

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

I'm between a 17 and 18 HC currently. I try to play seriously and within the rules so that's pretty accurate. Trying to play a lot this season, hopefully get that down a couple strokes. I've had two 88s and an 84 (at an easy course) this year, most of my rounds around 95.

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

I've been breaking 90 more consistently than ever this year. Though not threatening breaking 80. Low this year is 82 where I went birdie, par, par the last 3 holes.

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

I would say what I normally shoot, but I've never been able to finish all 18 holes. So grueling!

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

I would say what I normally shoot, but I've never been able to finish all 18 holes. So grueling!

But not as grueling as that brutal teachers schedule!  I don't know how you are able to work 8 months a year!   :D

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

I've shot a 99 exactly once.

Otherwise I'm usually in the 105 range.

Im basically here.

I shot a 97 at Hayfields last week, which was my best round, especially when you consider the course.

I am really not far from being someone that can shoot 85-95 but I am making too many mistakes here and there and losing strokes that I shouldn't be losing.  Once I clean that type of stuff up, I will be where I want to be.

Of course, to really clean that up you have to play and practice more than I am able to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=