10 replies to this topic

#1 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

There is a lot of discussion on this board regarding broadcaster'd ability so I thought it would be a nice discussion on who each of you thinks is the best local broadcaster, on TV or radio.

My personal favorite is Bob Haynie. To me he brings a tremendous combination of strong sports knowledge, particularly in Baseball and basketball, and only slightly less football, and humor to his show. He is the epitome of the local joe, who taps into everything that is Baltimore without the stereotype. His historical sports knowledge, both local and national, is unrivaled and his ability to pull specific players, games and situations from the past is uncanny! He is by far the most entertaining local broadcaster in my eyes!

What say you all?

#2 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

I love Gary Thorne. When he's paired with Palmer they're my favorite pair of my lifetime.

As far as sports radio, Haney (Haynie?) and Ken Weinman win by default. I loathe listening to Ed Norris, Rob Long, Vinny Cerrato...not a fan of Garceau. Conn is okay. All time worst show was Viviano and mad dog or bulldog or annoying dog, whatever his name is. I'm sure they're all nice people in real life.

If you have SiriusXM, MLB Network radio is full of good guys.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#3 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

Nesto--sike.

Rob Long, followed closely by Haynie.

#4 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

I love Gary Thorne. When he's paired with Palmer they're my favorite pair of my lifetime.

As far as sports radio, Haney (Haynie?) and Ken Weinman win by default. I loathe listening to Ed Norris, Rob Long, Vinny Cerrato...not a fan of Garceau. Conn is okay. All time worst show was Viviano and mad dog or bulldog or annoying dog, whatever his name is. I'm sure they're all nice people in real life.

If you have SiriusXM, MLB Network radio is full of good guys.

Yes sir, thanks for correcting the spelling. I agree with you on Thorne and Palmer, though I think we are in the minority. I ran into and had a drink with Thorne in Fells 1 night after a game and was hesitant to talk O's but he was so happy to talk O's and sports in general. He came off as a very jovial person who knows damn well he gets paid a fuck load of money to talk about a game!
  • Russ likes this

#5 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:29 PM

Nesto--sike.

Rob Long, followed closely by Haynie.

Not a big Long fan as I don't think his total sports knowledge is very strong. He knows basketball very well and has decent football knowledge. He doesnt know baseball at all in my opinion, even though he played college ball. He also has short man's complex (i have the same problem) and is always trying to puff his chest out to texters/callers who he feels challenges his opinions. This leads to his biggest flaw as a broadcaster, IMO, he often doesn't pay attention to the callers because he is busy looking up stats to support his statement. This leads to a lot of dead air and awkwardness and inevitably leads to him saying "yeah, yeah" before he re-engages. Him and Norris have ZERO chemistry!

#6 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:32 PM

Not a big Long fan as I don't think his total sports knowledge is very strong. He knows basketball very well and has decent football knowledge. He doesnt know baseball at all in my opinion, even though he played college ball.

The thing that I liked about him at WNST and 1370 is that he had his own show, so he could shape the show to his strengths. And I think he was definitely best in those formats. I'd say that his ability to "bounce off of someone else" is lacking.

Haynie seems like he was born to do this stuff. It's pretty crazy.

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

Haynie is great, But I'd like to also throw Bruce Cunningham's hat into the ring. Knowledge, Baltimore through and through. Great voice, great story teller.

I think Conn and Garceau have a great odd couple chemistry thing going on.

As far as local sports broadcasts I can't get enough Joe Angel, and the Terps duo of Holiday and Knoche are fantastic.

Also like Tom Davis, but maybe that's because I grew up with him on HTS doing the out of town scoreboard (when that was a thing) inbetween innings. He's still part of the team today some 25+ years later.

Screw it. I guess I'm Buck. I like our guys. Well. 90% of them.
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:31 PM

Just returning to this for a second. I miss HTS.

I still remember the ending theme after the Orioles broadcasts.

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

Gary Thorne. He makes Orioles broadcasts fun, and what more could you ask for from a guy you end up watching/listening to for 100+ games a year? Plus he's got that voice.

• Russ likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#10 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

Joe B is great for Caps games, he also does some lax games on occasion and does a good job with those too!

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

Joe B is great for Caps games, he also does some lax games on occasion and does a good job with those too!

No doubt. He will also do some Terps games for BTN, always excellent.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=