• BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#262 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 09:37 AM

14 game hitting streak... 

.252, 16 homers, 55 rbi...  .737 OPS (.299 OBP). 

#263 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:07 AM

I think he's established his floor as a fringe starter.  Solid glove for a corner, and I think he's good enough in CF to act as your backup there which gives you roster flexibility and not need to carry an all-glove backup CF.  

I still don't think he ever hits enough to be more than a fringe starter. Talent is evident, but I still don't see a sustainable approach at the plate.  Hopefully he can make improvements and become someone we want around longer-term, certainly still young enough to get better, but right now he looks like a placeholder for a couple years until we can find a good player and not just a passable one.

• BobPhelan and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#264 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,962 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:45 AM

I think he's established his floor as a fringe starter. Solid glove for a corner, and I think he's good enough in CF to act as your backup there which gives you roster flexibility and not need to carry an all-glove backup CF.

I still don't think he ever hits enough to be more than a fringe starter. Talent is evident, but I still don't see a sustainable approach at the plate. Hopefully he can make improvements and become someone we want around longer-term, certainly still young enough to get better, but right now he looks like a placeholder for a couple years until we can find a good player and not just a passable one.

I tend to agree though just a bit of an uptick in BA could really help take him out of the fringe starter category to more solid regular. Thats assuming the glove doesnt decline much or at all. Hes on pace to have a 2+ WAR season in 125ish games. Thats a legit acceptable fringe starter on any team. Not just the Os.

#265 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:52 AM

Mullins has had a ridiculous year, and deserves all the credit in the world for actually doing it / performing. 

I think Hays is the most talented all-around player on the roster though. 

Mountcastle a better pure bat, but talking overall. 

Mullins is doing everything... hitting for power, stealing bases, running down everything.  And he's been consistent, so maybe I'm being unfair there. It's a remarkable year for Cedric, and on a better team (and without Ohtani), he'd be getting real MVP talk. So, I'm not trying to be dismissive to Cedric, as much as saying I continue to be high on Austin.

I don't know if Hays ever puts it all together or not.   The two IL issues earlier in the year took away some other ab's. Nice to see him have a stretch of health here. 

And while I love his defense (range and arm), to be fair... Statcast is just ok.
Also, for him to have a 14 game hitting streak, and the obp to still be under .300 is ridiculous.

Will see how he finishes the next few weeks.  

He gets real hot, and has cold stretches too. 

It's possible that this time next year everyone (me included) is ready to move on in-terms of looking for another starter. 

It's also possible imo that Hays becomes a multi-time All-Star. I think he has that level of ability. 
Either way, I'm excited to see him play everyday again next year and really see what you have. 

#266 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:58 AM

Very different approach at the plate but he reminds me a lot of Reimold in that regard, Chris.  Definitely has all (or at least most of) the tools, just a question of improving the glaring weaknesses so that they can produce consistently.  Reimold never could.  Hopefully Hays will.  He'll certainly get the opportunity.

• BobPhelan likes this

#267 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:59 AM

I think he is showing what he is capable of.  He looks to be healthy and is producing.  I think Hays is capable of being a good contributor to a good team.

@mikeghg

#268 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 September 2021 - 03:01 PM

I think he's established his floor as a fringe starter.  Solid glove for a corner, and I think he's good enough in CF to act as your backup there which gives you roster flexibility and not need to carry an all-glove backup CF.  

I still don't think he ever hits enough to be more than a fringe starter. Talent is evident, but I still don't see a sustainable approach at the plate.  Hopefully he can make improvements and become someone we want around longer-term, certainly still young enough to get better, but right now he looks like a placeholder for a couple years until we can find a good player and not just a passable one.

Spot on.

#269 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,962 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 03:37 PM

Mullins has had a ridiculous year, and deserves all the credit in the world for actually doing it / performing.

I think Hays is the most talented all-around player on the roster though.

Mountcastle a better pure bat, but talking overall.

Mullins is doing everything... hitting for power, stealing bases, running down everything. And he's been consistent, so maybe I'm being unfair there. It's a remarkable year for Cedric, and on a better team (and without Ohtani), he'd be getting real MVP talk. So, I'm not trying to be dismissive to Cedric, as much as saying I continue to be high on Austin.

I don't know if Hays ever puts it all together or not. The two IL issues earlier in the year took away some other ab's. Nice to see him have a stretch of health here.

And while I love his defense (range and arm), to be fair... Statcast is just ok.
Also, for him to have a 14 game hitting streak, and the obp to still be under .300 is ridiculous.

Will see how he finishes the next few weeks.

He gets real hot, and has cold stretches too.

It's possible that this time next year everyone (me included) is ready to move on in-terms of looking for another starter.

It's also possible imo that Hays becomes a multi-time All-Star. I think he has that level of ability.
Either way, I'm excited to see him play everyday again next year and really see what you have.

Hays probably has more raw power and def a better arm than Mullins but I think we have to give a significant nod to Ced in the hit/dicipline/vision category. Both speedy and quality defenders though Ced likely gets the slight nod for both of them too.

#270 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:07 AM

In his past 77 games he has a .805 OPS (.269/.307/.498) and 15 HR in 301 PAs (yeah I cherry picked a little, I don't care, it's almost 3 months). That's a significant sample and a very good half year (almost the same line as Mountcastle's full year, .261/.312/.493). More importantly he's been healthy that entire time.

Wish he would take a few more walks but it is what it is and he's not likely to change much at this point. 

#271 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,962 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:13 AM

Hes earned the OD gig in one of the corner spots. We will see if he can stay healthy and ultimately not end up the weak side of a platoon

#272 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:05 AM

I think he can be an everyday OFer for the next good team the O's field. Not a superstar but solid player.

#273 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:14 AM

I think he can be an everyday OFer for the next good team the O's field. Not a superstar but solid player.

I agree.  He has been very good since he got his legs healthy.

@mikeghg

#274 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:06 PM

Agreed. Just has to stay healthy and pretend every month is September.

#275 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:28 PM

I am a Hays fan, so maybe this is a biased view, but i think Hays is figuring things out.  He is an exciting player that has power, speed, a very good arm and plays great defense.  The game winning hit showed good patience and then doing just enough to get the job done.  Health and a more patient approach and this guy could be a real good player for a better Oriole team.

• BSLSteveBirrer and makoman like this
@mikeghg

#276 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 08:02 AM

MASN: Putting Hays in corner an appealing move for Orioles

https://www.masnspor...or-orioles.html

#277 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:25 AM

Will be interesting to see how the O's handle the OF once AR comes up. If they want to keep his bat in the lineup on days he's not catching  they will have a lot of options. But somebody will have to sit. Should be able to rotate so that guys all get plenty of playing time but also keep them rested.

#278 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 10:27 AM

Will be interesting to see how the O's handle the OF once AR comes up. If they want to keep his bat in the lineup on days he's not catching  they will have a lot of options. But somebody will have to sit. Should be able to rotate so that guys all get plenty of playing time but also keep them rested.

I don't think Mountcastle or Mancini will (or should) see the OF again, so AR shouldn't affect the OF much.

The most games Posey played was 150, Wieters 148, Y. Molina and Mauer in his catcher years 147. I'd guess AR would probably catch 125-130 and then play 1B/DH 20-25. Mountcastle, Mancini, and AR could all play 150 games. Of course then you don't really have DH for a banged up guy, but those 3 would probably hit better than most of the rest of the roster so that's fine.

FWIW, O's games at DH this year:

Mancini 68

Mountcastle 41

Santander 21

Stewart 13

Severino 4

Mullins and Franco 3 each

McKenna 2

Ruiz. Sisco, Wynns 1 each 

#279 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,962 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 10:48 AM

With DH expected to be implemented in the NL next year, Im starting to get vibes that Mancini will be traded. In truth, he should be traded. Hes only got a year left and will be 30. Hes not going to be a productive enough  player in 2 or 3 years when we look to contend. The only reason why Elias might not move him, and may extend him, is for the PR. I was convinced he'd go the PR route a few months ago at the deadline. Now, IM leaning he goes for the trade.

• BobPhelan likes this

#280 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 10:27 AM

Apparently he's had offseason core surgery. 

According to the Orioles, Keegan Akin (hip abductor), Austin Hays (core) and Ramon Urias (core) all had surgical procedures this offseason. All are going through required rehab and are expected to be ready for spring training. They're a few weeks away from normal offseason work.

• dude likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=