381 replies to this topic

#221 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 01:37 PM

So I guess not returning as soon as the 10 days are up as originally stated when he went to the injured list.  Is he playing again at the alternate site?  Is that allowed for guys recovering from injuries?  I assume it is.

#222 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 01:41 PM

So I guess not returning as soon as the 10 days are up as originally stated when he went to the injured list.  Is he playing again at the alternate site?  Is that allowed for guys recovering from injuries?  I assume it is.

I think I heard Sept. 8th is the new target date.  

#223 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:19 PM

Hyde said Austin Hays is feeling a lot better, should resume baseball activities in a few days. Could join #orioles sometime in next 2 weeks, Hyde said

#224 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:53 PM

Hays has been activated. 

#225 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

On 9/17 his line was .212/.277/.259, the most disappointing performance of any Oriole in 2020 IMO given that Means had already turned it around a bit. In one week he’s up to a respectable .275/.333/.404 and a 101 wRC+. He was always going to get every opportunity next year but that hot week certainly makes things look better. It also highlights just how small the sample is this year. Let’s hope he has a few more good games in him, then a healthy 2021.

• BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan, dude and 2 others like this

#226 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:12 PM

Yeah, over the weekend I had said he’d finish with the most hits from that point on. He’s done that and looks good doing it. Like to see him improve his pitch selection though. He too often swings at pitches out of the zone.

#227 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:28 PM

On 9/17 his line was .212/.277/.259, the most disappointing performance of any Oriole in 2020 IMO given that Means had already turned it around a bit. In one week he’s up to a respectable .275/.333/.404 and a 101 wRC+. He was always going to get every opportunity next year but that hot week certainly makes things look better. It also highlights just how small the sample is this year. Let’s hope he has a few more good games in him, then a healthy 2021.

Having a healthy pair of ribs seems like it'd help you when you're hitting haha

she/her

#228 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:07 AM

3 for 4 last night and up over .280. Think this kid my be in CF for a few years.

#229 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:21 AM

Good to see him hit this well since returning. Now would like to see some power come with it.

#230 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:24 AM

Good to see him hit this well since returning. Now would like to see some power come with it.

I don't think there is much question about the pop. For me it's if his approach is sustainable. I don't think it is. You can be a free swinger and have success (Mountcastle is an example), but you still need an approach at the plate. Hays seems to just decide before the pitch comes if he's gonna swing or not.

Talent is there. Glove might be iffy for CF but shouldn't kill you and would be an asset in a corner. All about if pitchers will exploit his wild swinging. I don't think he's capable of change.

#231 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:30 AM

Havent watched him enough since his return to comment on his approach. He's definitely a plus defender in LF. The numbers show that too. I think his floor is a quality 4th OF. I really do think he sticks as a Major League caliber player if he can stay healthy.

#232 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:33 AM

Too many questions about the bat for me to be that confident, but upside is pretty damn high if he does manage to find a way to avoid being such an easy out.

#233 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:40 AM

Worst case scenario is the speed and defense will play off the bench. I get the questions about the bat, but hes been a league avg hitter over his first 267 PA. Even if he drops down to being a 85-90 OPS+ guy he's likely going to stay through his arb 1 year

#234 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:48 AM

He's going to be a very productive ML. 

#235 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:16 AM

Sure, he could be a reserve or maybe even a fringe starter if he doesn't figure out an approach at the plate. I don't really care about finding those type of guys. They're pretty easy to find. We need above average starters who give us an advantage over the competition.

He's absolutely got the upside to be that, and I'd continue giving him chances to do so. But personally I don't think he reaches that upside. He has zero clue at the plate and he's looked exactly like this for four years now. I see no evidence that he's trying to make changes to improve himself. If he can figure out a way to not be such an easy out for any pitchers that are paying attention, he's got a very high ceiling and can be a big asset. I don't think he needs to "learn to take walks", I just think he has to stop deciding if he's gonna swing before the pitcher releases the ball. He can be a Mountcastle type offensive player, very aggressive, few walks. He just can't swing at absolutely everything or else he will put too many pitcher's pitches in play for routine outs. If he continues doing that at best he's Alberto with less hit tool but more pop. Probably fine for CF if the glove allows, fringe starter in a corner. In neither case would he be an advantage over our competition, even if he's cheap.
  • You Play to Win the Game and dude like this

#236 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:10 AM

MASN: For Austin Hays, health is “most important thing in my career”
https://www.masnspor...-my-career.html

#237 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:35 AM

MASN: Hays has huge night

https://www.masnspor...n-10-9-win.html

#238 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 02:25 PM

Hamstring discomfort. Hope he can avoid the IL.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#239 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

Hamstring discomfort. Hope he can avoid the IL.

Being Easter, I got tied up with the family and missed the game, but was listening to the post game. They said it didnt look good, when it happen, but they were 50-50 on if it would be bad enough to keep him out of the lineup, or just an ache.

#240 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:09 AM

Anybody know how this taxi squad thing works?  Could Hays just go on the taxi squad for a few days if needed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=