381 replies to this topic

#41 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

Hays in the top 50 of prospects next year?

If he was in the Yankees system he would be LOL.
  • JordanKough and B00E00N00 like this

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:52 PM

Hays in the top 50 of prospects next year?

BA had him 99 at mid season. MLB didn't rank him in the top 100.

Doubt anyone has him top 50..could be top 75 or so.

Won't matter. He will be starting in the Os OF early next year.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#43 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

A+: .328/.364/.592 (.956), 15 doubles, 3 triples, 16 HR, 41 RBI, 4 SB, 262 AB

AA: .338/.367/.632 (1.000), 14 doubles, 2 triple, 14 HR, 45 RBI, 204 AB

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

Well, isn't this just great to read.  Nice to have a legit prospect.

http://www.baseballa...ffdfSuQy0TZB.97

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

It would be nice to have a CFer on the team with CFer range!  :)

#46 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

I've said this elsewhere, but big props for how Hays has handled his business.

Big fan of the pick, rated higher than the 3rd round, falls to the Orioles....they take him and instead of worrying about his draft money, he signs for slot and gets busy.

The Orioles OF picture certainly has taken a step forward this year in terms of prospects (Hays, Mullens, Stewart, Santander and Mancini has done well at the ML level.....especially for a team that wasn't tracking much in the OF coming into the season.

• Mike B likes this

#47 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,629 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

I've said this elsewhere, but big props for how Hays has handled his business.

Big fan of the pick, rated higher than the 3rd round, falls to the Orioles....they take him and instead of worrying about his draft money, he signs for slot and gets busy.

The Orioles OF picture certainly has taken a step forward this year in terms of prospects (Hays, Mullens, Stewart, Santander and Mancini has done well at the ML level.....especially for a team that wasn't tracking much in the OF coming into the season.

Good post, do any of them join Mancini and Santander on September 1

@mikeghg

#48 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

I wouldn't.  I know there are people that want to see him starting in RF next season, I'm not one of them and it's nothing against him.

It's hard to manage expectations and things that are reasonable and fair can feel like a let down.  No reason to be there yet.

• Mike B likes this

#49 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

I wouldn't think so.  They'd take up a 40-man spot then all offseason, and we know how much the O's like that flexibility.  It's already been a great year for a lot of these minor league guys, no reason to push them just yet.

• Mike B likes this

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

I would bring him up if we needed the offensive production.  We don't.

#51 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

I wouldn't.  I know there are people that want to see him starting in RF next season, I'm not one of them and it's nothing against him.

It's hard to manage expectations and things that are reasonable and fair can feel like a let down.  No reason to be there yet.

So I shouldn't register AustinHaysFacts.com yet?

@DJ_McCann

#52 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

So I shouldn't register AustinHaysFacts.com yet?

Not sure what that has to do with my comment, but I'll say no.

#53 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

Keith Law:

Pat: The Orioles’ approach to Austin Hays this month is obviously strange. But that aside, how likely is he to be an acceptable everyday RF on Opening Day 2018? Because I think that’s where it’s headed. 

Keith Law: It’s not just strange – it’s ridiculous. Don’t add a guy to the 40-man two years early if you’re not going to play him. I do think he’s a regular for them at some point next year.

http://meadowparty.c...klawchat-91417/

#54 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

Josh : The Orioles just called up Austin Hays. He has performed tremendously at both high-A and AA this year (in scarily identical fashion). What do you expect him to become long-term? 

Keith Law: I like Austin Hays and think he’s a regular, but you can’t call a 4.5% walk rate for a corner outfielder performing “tremendously.” He’s going to have to tame the aggressiveness – he’s not a hacker, but MLB pitchers aren’t going to give him as many pitches to drive early in the count.

http://meadowparty.c.../klawchat-9717/

#55 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:41 PM

Congrats to Hays on his first ML hit (single) and HR tonight. 

• BSLChrisStoner and B00E00N00 like this

#56 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

Dude is going to be legit. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,772 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

I'd like to see him more often get a feel for if he is a guy that swings at everything but with the ability to hit it (like Miguel Tejada) or if he will struggle to keep the average up against the best competition until he learns to be a bit more selective at the plate (like Jonathan Schoop).

He hit everything in the minors so there wasn't much incentive for him to be selective and look for walks.  So I don't think the low walk rate in A+ and AA means he won't eventually become a more selective hitter.  But it's awfully tough to have sustained success with a walk rate below 5%.  Not impossible, but tough.

#58 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

Wish everybody on the team ran the bases like that..and I'm not talking about speed either. Really displayed some nice defensive skills last night. Unlike our veteran CF, good throws and hit the cut of man every time.

Hard to say with the plate discipline. He certainly doesn't appear he's going up there looking for a walk. Not the easy swing Mancini has. It can be pretty violent. Does seem the R on R slide and breaking balls are giving him some trouble. That's to be expected. Have not noticed the good LHP changeups on him yet.  One thing for certain is the guy has skill .. hit tool and bat speed. Really looking at a case where he'll be developed at the ML level next year to a large extent. More so than most prospects. Not something you generally want to do, but in his case you can see why they think he can succeed. I don't need to see a ton of walks from him but you do want to watch for the selectivity.  Hopefully a transition to what Schoop made this year (but quicker). 

• JordanKough likes this

#59 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

Wish everybody on the team ran the bases like that..and I'm not talking about speed either. Really displayed some nice defensive skills last night. Unlike our veteran CF, good throws and hit the cut of man every time.

Hard to say with the plate discipline. He certainly doesn't appear he's going up there looking for a walk. Not the easy swing Mancini has. It can be pretty violent. Does seem the R on R slide and breaking balls are giving him some trouble. That's to be expected. Have not notice the good LHP changeups on him yet.  One thing for certain is the guy has skill .. hit tool and bat speed. Really looking at a case where he'll be developed at at the ML level next year to a large extent. More so than most prospects. Not something you generally want to do, but in his case you can see why they think he can succeed. I don't need to see a ton of walks from him but you do want to watch for the selectivity.  Hopefully a transition to what Schoop made this year (but quicker). 

Pretty much my thoughts. Dude has a howitzer for an arm, but Mullins has speed in CF. I'd want him to replace Adam, and have Hays be a plus defender in RF. 

#60 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

Pretty much my thoughts. Dude has a howitzer for an arm, but Mullins has speed in CF. I'd want him to replace Adam, and have Hays be a plus defender in RF. 

Yeah, that would be my vision as well. Unfortunately ownership will probably extend Jones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=