#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:20 PM

Now an RBI single. He's 2 for his first 2.

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:50 PM

He should retire

#43 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

Mullins is first player in Os history to have 3 hit in his debut. 

#44 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:47 AM

Must be smoke and mirrors.

#45 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:30 PM

So Buck has voiced concerns about Mullins hitting right handed (against LHP) and Mullns has been on the bench for the last 2 LHP starts. Apparently his hip was good enough to come in as a defensive replacement though. If we have concerns about his ability to hit right handed, wouldn't it be a good time to test him now? Isn't that kinda the idea? No issue evaluating Andreoli (who I find at least interesting), against LHP, but I'd rather be evaluating Mullins than Andreoli int those situations. Andreoli can play over Gentry (yeah, I know Gentry is playing well, I don't care, I know what Gentry can do). 

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:49 PM

Mullins seems to have hit the ground running, so I'm cool with playing him against LHP, but I also am cool with the idea of protecting him a bit as he's just getting his feet wet.  Set him up to have success by playing him primarily in scenarios where he's had success in the past for a while.  After he's established that he can hit righties up here, then ask him to start doing something he's never been able to do (hit lefties).

I don't know how long "enough time" is before you start getting him more exposure to lefties.  If you want to claim that he's had enough time being platoon protected, and has hit well enough that confidence shouldn't be an issue, I wouldn't argue.

#47 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:01 PM

I can see not playing him against some really tough LHP's to start, but these last 2 guys didn't seem to be that.  3-15 over 10 games against LHP isn't time to throw in the towel.

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:18 PM

I can see not playing him against some really tough LHP's to start, but these last 2 guys didn't seem to be that.  3-15 over 10 games against LHP isn't time to throw in the towel.

My point isn't that you throw in the towel based on what he's done so far against LHP at MLB.  The towel was already most of the way to the canvas based on his minor league career.  I think that it makes sense to let him hit mostly against RHP until he's comfortable at the MLB level.  He's hit great over his 3+ weeks, so entirely reasonable if you think you've given him enough of an adjustment period and that now is the time to start exposing him to more lefties.  I'm fine with either conclusion; to play him nearly everyday regardless of what hand the SP throws with or to sit him against most LH SP.

#49 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:57 PM

Pretty good take on this at CC today.

https://www.camdench...-cedric-mullins

#50 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

If he's hurting more than Buck let's on, then put him on the DL or shut him down for the season. Otherwise, play him!

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:20 PM

Apparently there was talk about him scrapping switch hitting.

You either do that now or you play him vs lefties in a lost season and get some level of evaluation.

I get that you don’t want to ruin him while he is hitting well but isn’t that the point? If he is hurt by it, you stop doing it.

#52 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:11 AM

Pretty good take on this at CC today.

https://www.camdench...-cedric-mullins

Yeah. what a bunch of BS from Buck. Even dumber than I thought. Uses we need to evaluate Andreoli n CF as an excuse. That's freaking lame. Just bench Gentry then. 

#53 Crouseman

Crouseman

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:42 AM

Yeah. what a bunch of BS from Buck. Even dumber than I thought. Uses we need to evaluate Andreoli n CF as an excuse. That's freaking lame. Just bench Gentry then. 

Well at least DD cut Gentry to take that temptation away from Buck.  Gentry and Andreoli are the new version of Reimold. 

#54 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:03 AM

Yeah we really need to get a good look at a guy in CF who didn't even make it to the majors until he was 28. There are a ton of guys out there who can play CF cheap. If somehow the O's (and Buck is included in that) think that Andreoli may be a part of the future then I give up.

#55 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:38 AM

Yeah we really need to get a good look at a guy in CF who didn't even make it to the majors until he was 28. There are a ton of guys out there who can play CF cheap. If somehow the O's (and Buck is included in that) think that Andreoli may be a part of the future then I give up.

Yeah, now Buck has Rickard. Interesting how he was going on about every move he makes now is thinking about how to improve the team in the future. I bet he starts Jones damn near every game until the season is over. 

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:33 PM

UZR doesn’t like his defense early on

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:42 PM

UZR doesn’t like his defense early on

Not much less meaningful than a few weeks of UZR.

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,087 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

That's definitely been true for basically ever.... some of our interviews with analysts who did a lot of work with defensive metrics would always say how noisy the numbers were.

Anecdotally though, I feel like in the last year numbers have had less flux. Something to watch.

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:52 PM

No doubt..just pointing it out

#60 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:44 AM

Benched for the LH SP. He pinch hits for the RHP when the LH SP is puled tonight. This is just stupid. Later got a LHP, had a decent AB and drew a walk.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=