Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:09 AM

http://espn.go.com/m...-25m-buyout-max

I think he's completely overpaid(and overvalued) by Minnesota. He hasn't won a single NCAA tourney game there. I get what he did at Kentucky, but his tenure at Minnesota has indicated, his success at UK was more because of Kentucky than him. Let's not forget he won the national title with Pitino's players.
@levineps

#2 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

I guess the fact that he's had at least 20 wins in four of his five seasons at Minnesota is something they're impressed enough with to keep him there. It does seem like a lot of $$, although I have no idea what the going rate for a power conference basketball coach is nowadays.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

I guess the fact that he's had at least 20 wins in four of his five seasons at Minnesota is something they're impressed enough with to keep him there. It does seem like a lot of $$, although I have no idea what the going rate for a power conference basketball coach is nowadays.

This was an article written a month ago so I believe he's gotten a slight bump since that. I think he's largely getting paid for his past success at UK including a national title with Pitino's players from a deacade-and-a-half ago, not so much his past tenure at Minnesota.

2010-11 BIG TEN BASKETBALL HEAD COACHES’ COMPENSATION (Salary, benefits, bonuses)

Michigan State $4,978,641
Indiana $2,593,952
Minnesota $2,286,792
Ohio State $2,230,000
Wisconsin $1,991,772
Illinois $1,888,233
Purdue $1,862,285
Michigan $1,804,124
Iowa $1,468,086
Penn State N/A
Northwestern N/A
Nebraska $954,642 (not a Big Ten member)
All of the salaries were from information submitted to the NCAA and acquired by The Gazette through each state’s open-records law

http://thegazette.co...sation-numbers/
@levineps

#4 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, having coached at a "blue blood" and having had some measure of success there could certainly entice a school to pay more for a guy. Doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do though.

Regarding a school like Minnesota, I'm not sure it has much of any built-in advantages for basketball, other than being a member of a good basketball conference. Even though he's had some 20 win seasons there, I hadn't noticed before that he hasn't had a winning record in conference play. It might be a tough project to make 'em competitive there.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, having coached at a "blue blood" and having had some measure of success there could certainly entice a school to pay more for a guy. Doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do though.

Regarding a school like Minnesota, I'm not sure it has much of any built-in advantages for basketball, other than being a member of a good basketball conference. Even though he's had some 20 win seasons there, I hadn't noticed before that he hasn't had a winning record in conference play. It might be a tough project to make 'em competitive there.

I just think you could get an up-and-comer, who would cost half of what he did. They must think he's put the team on the right track for future success.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=