Photo

Phelps - greatest Olympian ever? If not who is?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

Again, that doesn't take her out of the discussion imo. She was dominant for her time, which is the only way to properly judge an Olympian imo.

50 years from now are we going to disqualify Phelps from the conversation because he'd get destroyed by swimmers of the day?

Well the thing about swimming and track is your up against a number compard to an opponent or in the case of gymnastics subjective judging. Now granted your still talking about the possibilities of technological advances or PEDS but WR have a better chance of staying and therefore proving older athletes comparable to current ones. Take for example the long jump record. It stood for over 20 years between Bowman and Mike Pyle and its been 20+ now that Pyle has held the record.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 131,377 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

Sports Illustrated: After rehabilitation, the best of Phelps may lie ahead

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,944 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

Bill Barnwell
(michael phelps is the greatest athlete america has ever produced)

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 131,377 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:22 PM

Bill Barnwell

Yeah, I don't think I agree there....  but his Olympic career sure stacks up with anyone.....

I particularly have enjoyed his performance here in Rio... after the layoff, questioning how much he desired to keep going... having some personal adversity.... again finding his love for the training and the work.... and then seeing it all payoff once more.

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,944 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:25 PM

Bill Barnwell

Yeah, I don't think I agree there.... but his Olympic career sure stacks up with anyone.....

I particularly have enjoyed his performance here in Rio... after the layoff, questioning how much he desired to keep going... having some personal adversity.... again finding his love for the training and the work.... and then seeing it all payoff once more.

Some of that personal adversity makes it hard to not be somewhat conflicted about being a fan of his.

I wonder what Mack thinks given his strong stance on drinking while driving.

#26 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:04 PM

Maryland bitches. Really hope Phelps keeps his shit together the rest of his life. His legacy is written. You're talking about one of the most revered Americans of the next 40-50 years if he plays his cards right.

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,944 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:10 PM

Maryland bitches. Really hope Phelps keeps his shit together the rest of his life. His legacy is written. You're talking about one of the most revered Americans of the next 40-50 years if he plays his cards right.

Him, Tom Brady, LeBron, etc ;)

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:15 PM

There was a good interview with him tonight talking about how he hit bottom and realized that he had to get himself together. He seems so happy and content now.

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:16 PM

He's been so good in these games, you wonder if he thinks about yet another Olympics in Tokyo.

If he goes 6 for 6 in golds he needs to walk away from the ending Jordan just couldn't let be.

I suspect he might still be doing private runs in 2 or 3 years and if his numbers are competitive he might give it a go. It's all he knows.

#30 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

Who the fuck was #1 on your greatest athletes list?

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:18 PM

Phelps has been talking about how this feels like the way to go out vs 2012.

But I also heard them say he isn't shutting the door on the next Olympics either.

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,944 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:19 PM

Who the fuck was #1 on your greatest athletes list?

Why the animosity?

Gretzky, MJ, and Bonds were the top 3. Then Phelps.

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:24 PM

It wasn't animosity towards you. Was completely blanking on Gretzky and it was pissing me off. I love the pureness of individual sports so it'll be interesting to see how I evaluate Jordan, Gretzky, Phelps going forward. Agree with you that those are the 3.
  • mweb08 likes this

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,944 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:29 PM

It wasn't animosity towards you. Was completely blanking on Gretzky and it was pissing me off. I love the pureness of individual sports so it'll be interesting to see how I evaluate Jordan, Gretzky, Phelps going forward. Agree with you that those are the 3.

Cool. It's definitely hard to judge.

For me the pool (no pun intended) of athletes matters as well, and swimming has fewer serious athletes than a lot of other sports.

That we only care about the sport once every 4 years is an interesting wrinkle as well.

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:29 PM

Tiger could have been there but he's been a relative non factor since his US Open win in 2008, so that hurts him
In this conversation.

#36 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:36 PM

Haha. I almost made a Tiger/Golf joke earlier Weber. I knew Rob would throw his name in there somehow.

That said, yes Rob, it's amazing the track Tiger was on 10 years ago to be very high on this list and where he is now. Would have competed for a Top 5 spot and now he might not be Top 10.

To me it's the three mentioned above. Then the next tier is Bonds, Federer, Messi. Don't think I have anyone else in that 2nd tier right now.

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,944 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:43 PM

Carl Lewis, Bolt, and Jerry Rice are up there imo.

Oh, and LeBron and Shawn White. ;)

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:49 PM

Yes, Bolt and Lewis. A football player is not making my 2nd tier. It's just an American sport. Point deductions for that, and therefore Rice.

Also strong PED suspicions are going to knock Bonds, Bolt, and Lewis down a bit as well

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,944 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:51 PM

Why does football just being an American sport exclude it?

And I believe Duffman asked you to back up the Bolt claim.

#40 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:59 PM

Why does football just being an American sport exclude it?

And I believe Duffman asked you to back up the Bolt claim.

There has been enough smoke on the Jamaican track team. Then again track is an extremely dirty sport in general.

Obviously, it doesnt exclude it overall. I guess it doesn't necessarily exclude it for one of my top spots but I do deduct points. I'm sure there is some legendary Rugby player that deserves as much consideration as Rice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=