1218 replies to this topic

#121 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

Well, Lombardi is an idiot and Banner is a egomaniac and a headcase.

Laughable for sure, but I'm not sure that cleaning house is a bad idea.

#122 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

Wow.  Some people have touted the Browns as being on the ascension, but I've said several times I can't buy it... think the Browns are going to Brown you know? This is a perfect example. You can't have that revolving door with your leadership.

Wonder if Lombardi will head back to the NFL Network?

#123 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

Well, Lombardi is an idiot and Banner is a egomaniac and a headcase.

Laughable for sure, but I'm not sure that cleaning house is a bad idea.

It's a horrible idea, even if Lombardi isn't great.

You can't just continue to bring people in, and out like that.  You never let a plan develop.

Their on their 4th HC since 2009.

They draft Weeden, and Richardson.... they bring in Lombardi, who never liked Weeden.

Lombardi trades Richardson (looks to be the right move)... and they get rid of Lombardi.

Of course this is an organization that hired Phil Savage, and George Kokinis, and ran them both out of town quickly as well.

Whatever, it's great... love when a divisional foe can't get out of their own way.

#124 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

Wow.  Some people have touted the Browns as being on the ascension, but I've said several times I can't buy it... think the Browns are going to Brown you know? This is a perfect example. You can't have that revolving door with your leadership.

Wonder if Lombardi will head back to the NFL Network?

I've said before it's not fair to judge the Browns for their past mistakes with new personnel. We will see in time. And even though I don't believe the current issues are related to the past, it's funny how despite the change in ownership, they are just as dysfunctional if not more so.

@levineps

#125 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

There was apparently a lot of dissension in the FO. They decided to wipe it all clean. These guys have to be on the same page or you let them go. That's the problem bringing in a egomaniac like Banner.

#126 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

There was apparently a lot of dissension in the FO. They decided to wipe it all clean. These guys have to be on the same page or you let them go. That's the problem bringing in a egomaniac like Banner.

I see your point about cutting your losses so to speak, but do you really want to hit the "reset" button after only a year?

@levineps

#127 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

I see your point about cutting your losses so to speak, but do you really want to hit the "reset" button after only a year?

You want a bunch of people fighting in your FO??

They cleared out the top 2 guys and promoted the assist GM who apparently has respect. He was persued by the Dolphins for their GM spot this offseason.

#128 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

In a vacuum, this is the right idea. If you are sure that the people in place aren't going to get the job done, there is very little sense in leaving them there and wasting time. But you have to be sure.

But when it keeps happening again and again, even if the decisions and the people making them are not connected, it still becomes farcical.

And, of course, it doesn't help the Browns claim it was a smart move when they do it AFTER hiring a new coach, and taking significantly longer than any team to do so. And not even having the guy you end up promoting to GM in on the hire, which suggests a very recent and rash decision.

@DJ_McCann

#129 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

They cleared out the top 2 guys and promoted the assist GM who apparently has respect. He was persued by the Dolphins for their GM spot this offseason.

On the other hand, what incentive does he have to make the best moves for the team in the long run if he has the life expectancy of a redshirt on Star Trek?

@DJ_McCann

#130 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

Obviously not and I have no inside information so maybe Haslam is right that the situation got too toxic. It seems from an outsiders POV, that they didn't give them enough time.

@levineps

#131 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

@AdamSchefter Steelers: three head coaches the past 45 years.
Browns: three head coaches the past 407 days.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@levineps

#132 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

Did The Browns' Front Office Break Up Over Greg Schiano?

Yoko!

@DJ_McCann

#133 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

I do believe the Browns are in a better place now, organizationally. There's no way to really spin this positively, but it probably needed to happen. Sucks for them it took this long to do it.

It sounds like Haslam should have just fired Lombardi and Banner, kept Chudzinski, and hired a new GM.

That's not the logical way to do things either, but hey, the Orioles did it and so did the Dolphins.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#134 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Sports Illustrated: Browns change at GM is right call, even if timing is off
http://nfl.si.com/20...wns-right-call/

#135 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

I do believe the Browns are in a better place now, organizationally. There's no way to really spin this positively, but it probably needed to happen. Sucks for them it took this long to do it.

It sounds like Haslam should have just fired Lombardi and Banner, kept Chudzinski, and hired a new GM.

That's not the logical way to do things either, but hey, the Orioles did it and so did the Dolphins.

You're not referring to the O's recently right? Andy McP wasn't fired after all.

@levineps

#136 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

http://www.nfl.com/n...t-within-browns

I told you Banner was a headcase. So overrated riding Andy Reid coattails in Philly.

#137 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

You're not referring to the O's recently right? Andy McP wasn't fired after all.

No I mean having a HC in place and hiring a GM.

Buck was here before Duquette.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#138 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

No I mean having a HC in place and hiring a GM.

Buck was here before Duquette.

Well Andy hired him. Duquette wasn't going to get rid of Buck even if he could've IMO. I think it's different when you hire the manager/hc THEN hire the GM in the same offseason.

@levineps

#139 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

I'm just speaking in generalities of a GM being hired with a HC already in place.

GM's should be the ones to chose their HC/manager. At least that's how it works for the most part.

#140 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'm just speaking in generalities of a GM being hired with a HC already in place.

GM's should be the ones to chose their HC/manager. At least that's how it works for the most part.

Yeah I don't dispute that. Let me put it this way (hypothetically speaking), Ozzie Newsome resigned and they went out of the org to hire the next GM, should that GM fire John Harbaugh?

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=