#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,371 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:32 AM

Opponent: #23 Purdue Boilermakers (18-5, 7-3 Big Ten)

Time: 12:00 PM ET

TV Broadcast: ESPN

This game represents Maryland's best chance for a signature win so far this season. Purdue is 18-5 on the year, and 7-3 in conference play. They had no surprises in their non-conference schedule, with their only two losses coming to Villanova and Louisville. Their conference schedule has been a bit more rocky, but all 3 of their losses (Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska) have been very close games. They've also beaten Wisconsin, and blew out Northwestern by 21 points in their last game.

The Boilermakers are tied for 3rd in the Big Ten, and represent one of the four ranked teams in the conference. They finished 4th in the conference last season, and split their series with Maryland. They advanced to the championship game of the Big Ten Tournament, but lost to Michigan State. In a surprising turn of events, they lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in overtime to Little Rock.

Matt Painter is in his 12th year as Purdue's head coach. He is a former Boilermaker himself, and has taken his team to the NCAA Tournament in all but 3 seasons. However, he has been unable to advance past the second round since the 2009-2010 season. The team's biggest departure from last season was star C A.J. Hammons, who left early for the NBA. However, they returned PF Caleb Swanigan, who leads the team in nearly every statistical category. As you can see below, their assist:turnover rate is very impressive, averaging 20 assists per game so far this season.

Purdue Statistics

Field Goals: 49%

3-Pointers: 42%

Free Throws: 76%

Assists/game:Turnovers/game: 20:13

Rebounds/game: 39

Maryland Statistics

Field Goals: 45%

3-Pointers: 37%

Free Throws: 70%

Assists/game:Turnovers/game: 14:14

Rebounds/game: 37

• MKlein76 and You Play to Win the Game like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:54 AM

Wow. Statistically they are just better all the way around. Interesting game. Still havent played the 4 other best teams in the conference. Purdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Michigan St. Those 4 games will be telling. 2 on the road and 2 at home. 

#3 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

I don't like the matchup because their bigs are just way better than ours and if Dodd gets his ticky tack fouls, which he always does, then we are in real trouble.  Not to mention they shoot the hell out of the 3 Ball.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,185 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

We tend to double from the opposite post moreso than sag in from the three point line with a guard, so I'm not super concerned about them going off from 3 on us.  Dodd passed his last big interior defense test against Bryant from Indiana with flying colors.  Swanigan is better, plus they have Haas, but I'm confident in Dodd defensively.  I don't think he gets ticky tack fouls on defense, he just needs to avoid any stupid illegal screen fouls.  I wonder if we'll see both Dodd and Cheko on the court at the same time matched up against Purdue's size?  I haven't heard anything about Dodd suffering any ill-effects from that big spill at the end of Tuesday night's game, hope he's not limited in any way.  Biggest concern for me defensively is cleaning up the glass.  Purdue is big, but they aren't a terrific offensive rebounding team (however they clean up everything on their own defensive end), so hopefully we can do a bit better here than we have recently.

As with most games against good teams, I worry about us scoring moreso than our defense.  Purdue is a solid defensive team.  We've done a good job of penetrating to create with both Cowan and Melo, but Purdue has gotta have the best interior defense to step in and help out once that happens that we've faced all year.  We struggle finishing bunnies around the basket against most teams, could be a bigger concern against Purdue.  I think we'll need to shoot well from the perimeter to win.  Purdue is a great defensive rebounding team, so I don't see much second-chance scoring for us.  Hopefully turnovers won't be a concern, Purdue doesn't force many.

One interesting stat I just looked up, is that Purdue has held opponents to 40.2% 2-pt shooting at home but 51.1% on the road.  Similarly, they've held opponents to 31.8% from 3 when at home but 35.9% on the road.

I'm pumped!  Wish it wasn't a noon start.

• Hooded Viper and Mike B like this

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,675 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

Maryland has shot the 3 ball much better as the year has progressed.

This has the feel of a big game.  I also think the kids feel like they have doubters and this is a chance to stand up.

It will be close, but all Terp games are.  Really excited for this game.  I think Terps figure a way and win this game at home.

Go Terps....take control of the conference

@mikeghg

#6 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

Even though I don't like the matchup I am super pumped for this game and I totally agree the time sucks.  Wish it were at least 3pm.

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,603 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

Still feels a bit weird that our premier game to this point will be against Purdue. Missing the ACC more than I thought I was going to... still haven't felt anything close to the intensity of a Duke or even UNC matchup. Miss that.

• BobPhelan likes this

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

The ACC is a much more fun style of basketball but it's about making the tournament. The B10 is much better stylistically for Turgeon basketball. We might be on the bubble if we were in the ACC.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,185 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

Turgeon's preferred style is absolutely a typical Big 10 style.  I wonder if that was a factor when they hired him?

I definitely miss being in the ACC.  I'd go back in a heartbeat.  I understand and acknowledge all the benefits of being in the Big 10, but I'm first and foremost a basketball fan when it comes to Maryland athletics, and I'm more than willing to optimize my basketball experience at the expense of other sports.

I still get excited about games and as long as the team is good there will be big games to be played that mean a lot to players, students, and fans.  And it's unfair to compare what we're experiencing now with what I experienced in the late 90s and early to mid 00s as a fan and student.  That was truly something special that wouldn't have been matched again for a very long time even if we still were in the ACC and had Sean Miller as coach and whatever other wishes anyone has regarding the program.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mashed Potatoes like this

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

The ACC is a much more fun style of basketball but it's about making the tournament. The B10 is much better stylistically for Turgeon basketball. We might be on the bubble if we were in the ACC.

Need teams like Mich St and Indiana to be good.

Hard to get up for Wisconsin and Purdue, even if they are legit programs.

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,675 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

Dodd active early a good sign.

@mikeghg

#12 RaphielleJohnson

RaphielleJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

Damonte Dodd's off to a good start. 9-2 lead early for the Terps. 

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,675 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

Nice start by Terps.

11-2...Dodd with 5.

@mikeghg

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,675 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

Two wrong calls in 30 seconds on Terps bigs.

@mikeghg

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,675 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

Drive the ball at the bigs Anthony

@mikeghg

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,675 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:14 PM

That  is the play...Take it right to Haas.

@mikeghg

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,675 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:18 PM

Good energy early by Terps

16-8

@mikeghg

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,675 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

Swanigan is a load.

Plus he is getting every call

@mikeghg

#19 RaphielleJohnson

RaphielleJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

If Purdue's going to continue to have their big men sag on ball screen coverage, it's going to be a long day for them. Be one thing if they were taking away the roll guy by doing that, but Maryland's gotten good looks for Dodd and Bender. 

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,675 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

Melo getting to the middle of Purdue D

@mikeghg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users