36 replies to this topic

#21 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

A small, temporary version is opening next month.

http://www.baltimore...0908-story.html

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

A beer podcast did an interview with someone working at Guiness talking about the plans for the location.  Not a bad listen if you need something to listen to at work.

http://www.fnppodcas...ry-in-baltimore

#23 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

http://naptownpint.c...to-take-action/

Franchot drawing attention to this bill, hopefully the state senators are paying attention.

Bump 

So who remembers all of the hubub over last years legislation?  This year's showdown is even bigger!

https://www.pastemag...s-craft-be.html

Hopefully Franchot's bill prevails or at the least HB1052 doesn't pass.  Maryland's craft beer scene has really grown the past five years, I would hate to see a setback to that.

• BSLChrisStoner and mweb08 like this

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

What a stupid bill that 1052 is. That's like telling a restaurant how many meals they are allowed to serve. But the retail/distributor industry in MD has always been powerful, and have had the legislature in their pockets forever. That's why MD is one of very few states where you can't buy beer at your local grocery store like you can just about everywhere else.

#25 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

What a stupid bill that 1052 is. That's like telling a restaurant how many meals they are allowed to serve. But the retail/distributor industry in MD has always been powerful, and have had the legislature in their pockets forever. That's why MD is one of very few states where you can't buy beer at your local grocery store like you can just about everywhere else.

This was a a joy discovering grocery stores sold alcohol in college and a serious feeling of disappointment when I returned home after graduation.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

If anyone wants to write, the co-sponsors of the bill are:

Dereck Davis, House of Delegates district 25 (PG County): [email protected]

Talmadge Branch, House of Delegates district 45 (Baltimore City): [email protected]

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

I've written my representatives on this matter.

• Mackus likes this

#28 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

Well the hearings for the two bills are today.  Obviously they aren't voting today, but if I had to make a guess I don't see either bill getting enough votes to pass.  I would love to see Franchot's bill pass, but I think his abrasive style may ruffle too many feathers.

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

Well the hearings for the two bills are today.  Obviously they aren't voting today, but if I had to make a guess I don't see either bill getting enough votes to pass.  I would love to see Franchot's bill pass, but I think his abrasive style may ruffle too many feathers.

Based on his statements regarding the industry, and his pro-business stance, even if 1052 did pass I think Hogan would veto it. Then it would come down to whether it has enough support to override.

• DuffMan likes this

#30 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

HB512 goes down handily in committee. Only consolation is1052 was withdrawn. Franchot really pissed some people off because there is talk of looking into trying to take away some of his powers related to alcohol. It will be interesting to see if they try again next year.

#31 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

Scheduled to open on August 3.

http://www.baltimore...0627-story.html

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#32 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:10 AM

Guinness has started curbside beer pickup.

https://www.guinness...ry-beer-pick-up

#33 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 02:18 PM

Guinness will stop brewing beer at its Maryland location - it's probably moving to Chicago - although the restaurant and taproom will stay open.

Guinness Open Gate Brewery will end production in Baltimore County – Baltimore Sun

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:47 PM

My wife’s company did all the tank and line work at this location. I wonder who will take it over if anyone. It’s too big an operation to just go dormant.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 April 2023 - 07:58 PM

I don’t understand how unemployment is historically low when every day you hear about layoffs.

But that might be topic not allowed here

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:11 PM

I don’t understand how unemployment is historically low when every day you hear about layoffs.

But that might be topic not allowed here

Have at it.

(One reason low is that many have just exited the labor force. Many jobs to be had though. Particularly skilled labor and anything with coding.)

Sean, great question about who replaces... you've got so many brewers local...someone will...if it's too large for them, maybe they will partner or someone else big will move in.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

#37 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 12:48 PM

The brewery closed last week, and Baltimore Blonde's going to be brewed in New York - by the same brewery that just bought Flying Dog.  The taproom's still open, though.

Guinness Baltimore Blonde beer, previously brewed in Baltimore County, will be brewed in New York (baltimoresun.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=