#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

It will be the Big 10 next year. But the ACC could challenge the SEC for second next year.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

Sports Illustrated: A way-too-early look at the college football Top 25 for the 2017 season

CBS Sports: Way too early top 25 for college football in 2017: Alabama on top, Florida State high
http://www.cbssports...ida-state-high/

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

The gap between Clemson and FSU vs the rest is too great right now for it to be the best. If Richt can make Miami a powerhouse again, and Louisville, VT and UNC can continue to improve, then yes, the ACC could be the best.

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

Alabama and Florida State play each other in Atlanta on Sept 2. Not beyond the realm of possibility that could be a #1 vs #2 matchup.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

Sports on Earth: No Reason To Bet Against Bama in '17
http://www.sportsone...ound-nick-saban

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

No more Condoleeza.

http://www.espn.com/...ction-committee

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

WaPo: Oregon football workouts sent players to hospital. Who will stand up for them?

Certainly not the NCAA....at least not until public pressure shames them into doing it. By next year we can probably expect tighter standards for offseason workouts at all NCAA schools.

#9 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

WaPo: Oregon football workouts sent players to hospital. Who will stand up for them?

Certainly not the NCAA....at least not until public pressure shames them into doing it. By next year we can probably expect tighter standards for offseason workouts at all NCAA schools.

They suspended the coach without pay for a month...  

I don't know enough to know if there's more to this than just a coach with poor judgment...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

They suspended the coach without pay for a month...  

I don't know enough to know if there's more to this than just a coach with poor judgment...

"They" was the University of Oregon, not the NCAA. It does sound like it was just a lack of awareness on the S&C coach's part. When it's their first formal workout in over a month, and the players aren't familiar with your regimen (physically and mentally), I would think it's best to err on the side of going too light, just to see where they are at first. But I know that's not the standard culture in football. But with the attention this got, I'm guessing the NCAA steps in at some point.

#11 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

I think what happened is a pretty standard practice. They give you workout plan to do on your own. Then the first day of practice you don't even touch a football. They put you through the ringer to see who followed the plan.

Right wrong or indiferent, it's one way coaches can see who took their time off seriously. Who really wants to be on the team.

I don't think anything needs to be changed. Sometime every year at some level, someone does of heat exhaustion from practicing in 95 degree heat. They haven't said indoor, or evening practices only. Just an unfortunate situation. And the coaches should be trained, or have trained people at every practing who can see some warning signs before hospitalization is necessary.
@BSLMikeRandall

#12 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

"They" was the University of Oregon, not the NCAA.

Well, sure... which is how it should be... the first line of policing is the school itself... it would be a gross overreaction for the NCAA to jump in with both feet instead of letting the school respond... then, they can nick the school if they think its responses to the situation were inadequate... that's how it's supposed to work...

It does sound like it was just a lack of awareness on the S&C coach's part. When it's their first formal workout in over a month, and the players aren't familiar with your regimen (physically and mentally), I would think it's best to err on the side of going too light, just to see where they are at first. But I know that's not the standard culture in football. But with the attention this got, I'm guessing the NCAA steps in at some point.

Unless we hear more of the same from more schools, I expect they're gonna treat this as a one-off... the most I'd expect is word coming down that if coaches don't want the NCAA writing detailed practice rules and schedules, they should make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen... whether that's public or private likely depends on how much public attention this incident gets... if it goes away quietly, I doubt if the NCAA wants to bring it up again and remind everybody...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:45 AM

Well, sure... which is how it should be... the first line of policing is the school itself... it would be a gross overreaction for the NCAA to jump in with both feet instead of letting the school respond... then, they can nick the school if they think its responses to the situation were inadequate... that's how it's supposed to work...

Unless we hear more of the same from more schools, I expect they're gonna treat this as a one-off... the most I'd expect is word coming down that if coaches don't want the NCAA writing detailed practice rules and schedules, they should make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen... whether that's public or private likely depends on how much public attention this incident gets... if it goes away quietly, I doubt if the NCAA wants to bring it up again and remind everybody...

Obviously it got a lot of attention here. I figured if WaPo is running an opinion piece on it, it got national attention....but maybe not.

#14 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:42 AM

Obviously it got a lot of attention here. I figured if WaPo is running an opinion piece on it, it got national attention....but maybe not.

Oh, you could be right about all of this... but I think it comes down to how long the attention lasts... the current fad of "the news cycle" is an excuse for the media to forget almost everything after a day or two...

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

Deadspin: Lawsuit: Baylor Football Players Committed 52 Rapes In Four Years Under Art Briles

@DJ_McCann

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

Deadspin: Lawsuit: Text Messages Show How Baylor Coaches Turned Football Program Into Disciplinary "Black Hole"

Briles on his own players:

"Those are some bad dudes," Coach Briles told the coach. "Why was she around them?"

He shouldn't be allowed to run a Jimmy John's franchise, let alone a football team at any level. What a despicable person.
@DJ_McCann

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

Sports on Earth: Harbaugh Faces Year 3 Transition

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield was arrested for fleeing cops and public intoxication in Arkansas. I mean... there isn't shit else to do in Arkansas, so no biggy, right? (And he's white)

http://www.espn.com/...yfield-arrested

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

Who cares that he's white?

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:27 PM

Sports Illustrated: Lessons learned from the 2016 college football season

Sports Illustrated: With Texas behind on and off the field, Herman's overhaul begins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=