813 replies to this topic

#341 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:15 PM

Boise State hired Oregon defensive coordinator Andy Avalos as their next head coach. Like his predecessor Bryan Harsin, Avalos is a BSU alum.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#342 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,230 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:47 AM

Welcome back Andy!

Go Broncos!!

#343 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:35 AM

CBS Sports: Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt, nine staff members fired amid investigation into recruiting violations

https://www.cbssport...ing-violations/

#344 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:43 PM

Fleck mentioned in rumors with Tennessee. 

#345 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:48 AM

CBS Sports: Tennessee hires Josh Heupel as AD Danny White uses UCF connections to poach Vols' new coach
https://www.cbssport...vols-new-coach/

#346 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:24 PM

Jamie came across an interesting article regarding replacing Les Miles at Kansas. 

The Athletic: Kansas needs to do what comes unnaturally - go for it with Kevin Kelley 

https://theathletic....-shared-article

Kelley is the head coach at Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, who become famous in recent years for never punting, always onside kicking, and endless trick plays. 

Plus, Kelley’s schemes may be rooted in math, but watching them isn’t like watching your eighth-grade algebra class. His teams throw the ball all over the field. They line up in formations that would make Steve Spurrier tip his visor. And their punting/kickoff strategy drives opponents insane. I saw this up close in 2015 when Pulaski Academy visited Highland Park High in Dallas. The home team had the much better roster and an 84-game home win streak that stretched back to when the elder George Bush was president. But the Highlanders had no chance. They puckered up nearly every time Pulaski went for a fourth down because teams simply aren’t accustomed to facing that kind of pressure for an entire game. Kelley’s team plays like it’s down 13 with three minutes to go for an entire game, and that taxes opponents mentally as much as it taxes them physically. Had Kelley coached conventionally in that Highland Park game, his team might have lost by four touchdowns. Instead, it won 40-13 against a Texas Class 6A team that went 10-1 the remainder of the season. The home team did claim one victory; it forced Pulaski Academy to punt for the first time in two years.

Also, the job at Kansas wouldn’t feel that different than Kelley’s current job. “I’d handle it the same way I do here,” he said. “We’ve got a severe talent deficit here.” The key is to find a coach who can succeed with the kind of players Kansas actually can sign. Kelley routinely plays with the less talented roster and wins. He’s had some excellent players — former Arkansas and current Los Angeles Chargers tight end Hunter Henry was the best — but for the most part the Bruins are undermanned when they play. This past season, Virginia’s Life Christian Academy came to face the Bruins in Little Rock. Life was led by linebacker Aaron Willis, the highest-ranked player in Tennessee’s 2021 recruiting class, and Virginia-bound defensive tackle Bryce Carter. The Eagles also had two other FBS signees in the class of 2021 and eight class of 2022 players with FBS offers. Pulaski Academy, meanwhile, had three starters who weighed more than 200 pounds. The Bruins had no Division I players in the class of 2021, and Class of 2022 tailback Joe Himon is Pulaski Academy’s only likely FBS signee at the moment. Pulaski Academy won 30-21.

Watch the game. I guarantee it’s more fun than any Kansas game from last season.

YouTube Link to the game: https://youtu.be/_xUX3H5gjtI

I'm going to check out a little bit of it. 

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#347 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for posting Mike! 

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike in STL like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#348 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:08 PM

Jamie came across an interesting article regarding replacing Les Miles at Kansas. 

The Athletic: Kansas needs to do what comes unnaturally - go for it with Kevin Kelley 

https://theathletic....-shared-article

Kelley is the head coach at Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, who become famous in recent year for never punting, always onside kicking, and endless trick plays. 

He'd be interesting, maybe fun, and would certainly give a shot in the arm to a program that sorely needs it. He might even find some success off the bat. But just like college football (and the NFL) caught up with Chip Kelly, they'd catch up with Kevin Kelley too.

Given the circumstances under which they find themselves with an opening to fill, I'm sure Kansas will settle for a "safe" hire, and more years of cellar-dwelling are likely to ensue.

#349 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:16 PM

Clay Helton. Finally.

• sandiegosean likes this

#350 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:58 PM

Associated Press: Analysis: USC coaching search casts shadow over season

#351 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:56 PM

It's amazing how USC doing it this early means other coaches/fanbases will need to deal with the rumors for months, already saw James Franklin and Urban Meyer get asked about it

she/her

#352 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:43 PM

Georgia Southern HC Chad Lunsford. The Eagles are 1-3.

While GAS is hardly noteworthy in the hierarchy of college football, I mention it because I can't help but wonder if his firing was more related to this incident Saturday than his record.

#353 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:05 PM

Coach O to leave at the end of the season https://twitter.com/...781746501832711

she/her

#354 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:57 PM

Coach O to leave at the end of the season https://twitter.com/...781746501832711

This should just end up like an Edsall situation, where LSU says, "You can just go ahead and go now."

#355 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:25 PM

Nick Rolovich may be out as Washington State coach by tonight. The AD has called a 5:30pm (Pacific Time) meeting with the football team. That's usually not a good sign for job security.

The reason for the (possible) firing is because today is the deadline for WA state employees to either be vaccinated, receive an exemption, or be dismissed. Rolovich did apply for the exemption, but sounds like it was denied.

I feel bad for the WSU players that their coach is so selfish and stubborn that this has to happen to them now, especially after they have been playing pretty well of late (3 straight wins). Just a terrible example of leadership by a head coach; particularly one employed at a research university that started up a medical school several years ago.

EDIT: It's official. What an idiot.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#356 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:34 PM

@ESPNRittenberg

·
4m

Feel awful for the #WashingtonState players, some of whom have lost two teammates, gone through the COVID year, and now will go through a second coaching change. Also feel for the assistant coaches who complied, and their families. Those coaches all likely will be out of work.

Just to paint a clearer picture of the selfishness here. But hey, at least he won't have to give in to the evil forces that want to vaccinate people for the good of society.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#357 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:51 PM

Nailed it Mike.

#358 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:12 PM

Guy spends 14 years climbing the ranks to become a head coach. Spends four more years to parlay that experience into a head coaching job at the power 5 conference level.

Thrown away for not getting a shot in the arm.

What’s his excuse? Microchips. Or “want to read more about it”?
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#359 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:09 AM

Just to paint a clearer picture of the selfishness here. But hey, at least he won't have to give in to the evil forces that want to vaccinate people for the good of society.

I think it's selfish to call a guy selfish for not being comfortable with putting something into his body.  You can think he's wrong, sure (I do, as I took the jab myself).  But I'm pretty strongly opposed to any of these vaccine mandates.  Not everyone who refuses to get the vaccine is a selfish whack job and we continue to do a disservice by drawing these unnecessary lines in the sand.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#360 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 07:47 AM

I think it's selfish to call a guy selfish for not being comfortable with putting something into his body. You can think he's wrong, sure (I do, as I took the jab myself). But I'm pretty strongly opposed to any of these vaccine mandates. Not everyone who refuses to get the vaccine is a selfish whack job and we continue to do a disservice by drawing these unnecessary lines in the sand.

While he hasn’t spoken publicly yet, a former coach close to him said that, “he believes he doesn’t need to take it and doesn’t want to take it, and doesn’t want somebody telling him what to do.”

The don’t tell me what to do crowd, contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, that’s selfish, IMO.

https://www.usatoday...now/8519092002/
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=