#61 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 09:50 AM

Sorry to hear for both of you.  

Our dog Wally will be turning 17 in March.  He clearly has some trouble seeing and hearing but aside from that seems in good health.  I mean you can tell he's very old but he still runs around the yard and everything.  He's been a great dog but I know we can't have much more time with him.

• DuffMan likes this

#62 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:24 AM

Welp unfortunately yesterday was the day for us.  Went for a run like I always do and was thinking about Homer the whole run.  When I got back I had made up my mind that it was time.  This decision has been on my mind for a while so finally reaching the decision did help a bit.    The rest of the day moved slow as I had to wait for our appointment.  Telling the kids right after school was really tough.  My parents came over to say goodbye as well, as my wife went with me to the vet.    We were lucky to never really have any health problems with our pup and I am grateful for all the good times but man am I going to miss seeing him around the house.

One of the toughest parts is the change to your routine. Our pets become part of the fabric of our lives and when we lose them, everything goes into disarray. 

• DuffMan and russsnyder like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#63 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:58 AM

Welp unfortunately yesterday was the day for us. Went for a run like I always do and was thinking about Homer the whole run. When I got back I had made up my mind that it was time. This decision has been on my mind for a while so finally reaching the decision did help a bit. The rest of the day moved slow as I had to wait for our appointment. Telling the kids right after school was really tough. My parents came over to say goodbye as well, as my wife went with me to the vet. We were lucky to never really have any health problems with our pup and I am grateful for all the good times but man am I going to miss seeing him around the house.

My condolences sir.
  • DuffMan likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#64 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 February 2023 - 11:28 AM

One of the toughest parts is the change to your routine. Our pets become part of the fabric of our lives and when we lose them, everything goes into disarray. 

Tell me about it, came downstairs this morning and the first thing I did was started filling his water bowl.

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 11:37 AM

Welp unfortunately yesterday was the day for us.  Went for a run like I always do and was thinking about Homer the whole run.  When I got back I had made up my mind that it was time.  This decision has been on my mind for a while so finally reaching the decision did help a bit.    The rest of the day moved slow as I had to wait for our appointment.  Telling the kids right after school was really tough.  My parents came over to say goodbye as well, as my wife went with me to the vet.    We were lucky to never really have any health problems with our pup and I am grateful for all the good times but man am I going to miss seeing him around the house.

Condolences to you too.

• DuffMan likes this

#66 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 February 2023 - 03:54 PM

Tell me about it, came downstairs this morning and the first thing I did was started filling his water bowl.

The cat would come down, sit on the steps and meow when she was ready for food. My daughter had a stuffed animal sitting on the steps last night and for just a moment, I thought it was Ringo looking for a snack.

Hang in there my friend. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 February 2023 - 05:04 PM

We had to say goodbye to our 16 year old Boston Terrier on Friday. We waited exactly one day too long and that has been hard to process on top of missing her deeply. The routines are the hardest. This is the kind of thing that just takes a piece out of you.
  • DuffMan likes this

#68 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 February 2023 - 05:24 PM

We had to say goodbye to our 16 year old Boston Terrier on Friday. We waited exactly one day too long and that has been hard to process on top of missing her deeply. The routines are the hardest. This is the kind of thing that just takes a piece out of you.

Condolences to you and yours. This adulting thing sucks an awful lot sometimes.

@primetime667083

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 05:58 PM

Ugh. Sorry Chris. 

Tough to see each of you hurting. 

Do thank each of you for sharing.  Totally on-board with the routine thing.  Has hit me several times the last couple of months. 

#70 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 06:33 PM

Sorry bro.

#71 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 06:46 PM

Amen.

My best to you and your family.

#72 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 February 2023 - 09:41 AM

I just stumbled upon this thread. If you haven't had to make that tough decision before, let me try to offer something positive. The pain does subside. And the beautiful this is, one day you'll think of him or her, and you'll realize that you're smiling at that memory. When that day comes, is different for each of us. But it will come. If you've had to do this before, I'm not telling you anything you don't know. But maybe being reminded of it will help in some small way.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#73 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 10:17 AM

Sorry to hear for both of you.  

Our dog Wally will be turning 17 in March.  He clearly has some trouble seeing and hearing but aside from that seems in good health.  I mean you can tell he's very old but he still runs around the yard and everything.  He's been a great dog but I know we can't have much more time with him.

Our beloved Wally passed away on July 5th.  He started going downhill pretty quickly shortly after I made the post above.  Had trouble moving but was very restless.  We struggled greatly with the decision to put him down but then his last few days he mostly just laid around with heavy breathing.  I don't think he was suffering but I think we managed to make the call before he was.  What a hard thing to do to such a loyal creature.

In happier news, we got a new puppy and were able to bring him home yesterday.  I would have preferred to wait for a bit but my wife is a teacher so she really needs to be home in the summertime to train him and the kids didn't want to wait another year.  The kids named him...Adley :)

• NewMarketSean and russsnyder like this

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 10:26 AM

Sorry to hear about Wally, the best to your family.

And it is happier news about the new puppy. That's great.

• glenn__davis likes this

#75 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 October 2023 - 09:26 AM

9 months now with out a dog, we still have 2 guinea pigs but they are annoying and no fun.   I'm in this weird spot between wanting another pup but also wondering how we could make it work.

#76 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 January 2024 - 01:28 PM

After going almost the whole calendar year without a dog, we adopted a new pup on the 17th!  Bart is a 13 week old Cattle Dog and Terrier Mix, we think.  We sent away a swab to see what else he may have in him

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and glenn__davis like this

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 January 2024 - 01:32 PM

Congrats man! With your Gunnar/Lamar parlay, you could've afforded a Samoyed, but I'm sure Bart is the bees knees. Enjoy. We're starting to explore again after losing our Boston Terrier last spring. 

• DuffMan likes this

#78 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:56 AM

Our 4.5 year old cat is suspected to have melanoma in his eye. Extremely rare for cats his age. Vet has recommended we have the eye removed...seems encouraged that cancer has not spread elsewhere but there are no guarantees. Devastating news but we're hoping for the best.

Vet said that his young age is a benefit; if he were older then owners would have to weigh the cost, recovery, stress to animal, etc against the age of the cat and how much time you're buying for them.

We're 100% going to have the surgery.

• russsnyder likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#79 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 02:35 PM

Our 4.5 year old cat is suspected to have melanoma in his eye. Extremely rare for cats his age. Vet has recommended we have the eye removed...seems encouraged that cancer has not spread elsewhere but there are no guarantees. Devastating news but we're hoping for the best.

Vet said that his young age is a benefit; if he were older then owners would have to weigh the cost, recovery, stress to animal, etc against the age of the cat and how much time you're buying for them.

Good luck to all of you, especially the cat.

#80 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 02:36 PM

Just kind of curious, did you suspect something was wrong, or did the vet catch it during a routine check up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=